Territory carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Territory carry

banger
08-02-2011, 17:56
Does anyone know if Police/Retired Police are allowed to carry in U.S. territories?

IE: Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam etc..

Asked more from curiosity than anything else.

txleapd
08-02-2011, 18:15
From my understanding, LEOSA applies to all U.S. States, territories, and district (DC).

So the answer should be, yes.

collim1
08-02-2011, 18:30
Should be yes, but I do not feel like being a guinea pig for the relatively new law.

Whenever something has gone wrong, LEOSA seems to be more of a defense in court than keeping you out of handcuffs on the roadside.

ChiefWPD
08-02-2011, 20:38
Some years ago I wrote to the police commissioner of the US Virgin Islands. Told him I intended to visit armed. No problem on his end. He did suggest I carry his letter with me when on the island, as it would avoid confusion should I run into one of his officers who was not familiar with the LEOSA.

DaBigBR
08-02-2011, 21:27
Yep. Covered.

I don't think it's fair to say "whenever something has gone wrong, LEOSA seems to be more of a defense in court than keeping you out of handcuffs on the roadside." We KNOW (within reason) the number of times that LEOSA has been used as a defense in court, but we have absolutely no idea how many times it has been recognized on the street and under what situations.