Philips Heartstart AED [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Philips Heartstart AED

757CC
08-03-2011, 15:24
I can see their value in a series SHTF situation where medical assistance my be limited or not available at all. Does anyone else have an AED for home or personal use? Curious if anyone has an idea what they might sell for. Currently have 2 that have never been used and am seriously considering letting one go. The link below includes info and reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HeartStart-Home-Defibrillator-AED/dp/B00064CED6

Just curious if anyone has seen any for sale of what they might go for?

eracer
08-03-2011, 16:58
Not to put too fine a point on it, but maybe if you are in cardiac arrest and can't get to a hospital during a SHTF situation, you aren't meant to live any longer. What good will starting a heart do if you can't fix the underlying problem?

Bushflyr
08-03-2011, 17:16
Ditto. AED's are to keep you alive long enough to get real medical attention. Waste of money for individuals in SHTF.

cowboy1964
08-03-2011, 17:53
An AED buys time. Sounds like a good idea to me. It's his money so why are you so worried about it?

757CC
08-03-2011, 18:17
Already have two due to some health issues with extended family members that visit frequently. Recently sold the vacation house and don't really have a need for two now.

Warp
08-03-2011, 20:55
Ditto. AED's are to keep you alive long enough to get real medical attention. Waste of money for individuals in SHTF.

Is hospital visitation, even if slower than usual, completely impossible in every single potential "SHTF"? Of course not. Obviously individual risk assessments will vary and this won't be worthwhile for everybody...but it could be for some...especially since a cardiac event is by definition a SHTF event no matter what else is going on in the world.

quinnt
08-03-2011, 21:37
I dont have one, simply because of the price. Depending how bad SHTF, I'll either be at work or called in, or I'll be home/going home which is more leaning towards TEOTWAWKI. For the later, an AED probably won't do much good. For the first I'd have an AED plus some other equipment. And if someone in my AO needed an AED, it'd be for a high priority call that would get their hopefully fast enough.

Cali-Glock
08-03-2011, 21:55
I am hoping to get one... one of these days...

My employer has some brand new ones which have been sitting in in a warehouse for several years now - they keep procrastinating about what they are going to do with them. The pads have surely expired, and they will probably still be sitting there when the batteries expire also... one of these days I'll get them to donate one to me or sell it to me for a nickle.

schild
08-04-2011, 05:43
Not to put too fine a point on it, but maybe if you are in cardiac arrest and can't get to a hospital during a SHTF situation, you aren't meant to live any longer. What good will starting a heart do if you can't fix the underlying problem?

I agree, the person is going to require immediate medical attention/drugs, are you going to have a D.I.Y. cardiac stent kit? Even if you DO manage to restart a heart after cardiac arrest I would think death would occur without medical care.

bdcochran
08-04-2011, 08:09
OP - go to Ebay. List with a hidden reserve. Learn what I suspect.
1. there isn't a market for the unit purchased other than from a recognized medical supply house;
2. a person who is familiar with the equipment, treatment of reviving people and after care won't buy a unit for himself unless he has a family member at known risk.