Commander build....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Commander build.......

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 18:52
I've decided to build a Commander.
Thinking of using a fitted WC frame/slide. Only drawback would be the FCS.
Could always have them milled off. Thinking carbon steel frame with bobtail.
Carbon steel slide, polished slide flats, matte blasted rounds on slide & entire frame.
I have been thinking of either a pinned grip safety or something like Novak's Answer.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Mr. Gekko
08-03-2011, 19:00
Interesting.

Could you get a Commander slide/frame from Remsport without FCS?

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:04
Interesting.

Could you get a Commander slide/frame from Remsport without FCS?

+1 . Call John and see what he has. I'm sure he can put something together for you and also fit the slide & frame.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 19:07
I'm a bit behind the power curve with Remsport. Will need to do a bit of research.
I do want to avoid Caspian.

Hokie1911
08-03-2011, 19:08
+1 . Call John and see what he has. I'm sure he can put something together for you and also fit the slide & frame.

This. Get what you want from the getgo so you don't have to worry about doing ______ later because you got the one that had ______.

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:10
Wilson compact instead ?

No fcs, wouldnt require bobtail.

$850-880 for the kit which includes quite a bit...

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:12
I'm a bit behind the power curve with Remsport. Will need to do a bit of research.
I do want to avoid Caspian.

Last few Caspian builds I did I had a few issues with them. I had to wait an additional 6 weeks for a new slide. Even though nothing to do with me the customer wasn't to happy.

I've used Remsport for a few of my recent builds. No issues other than one of the Novak rears sight cuts where off a bit. I had a replacement slide in a few days.

Do a little searching and you will seem some common top semi custom builders they supply with 1911 parts.

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:15
Does remsport offer a forged alum officers frame ?

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 19:20
Remsport DOES offer a Officer's frame.
I'm a bit disappointed, it seems Remsport's raw frames are imported from Korea.
Not sure I can accept that,........I do believe I will look into other frames.

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:27

Not sure if you have a DW or Nighthawk, but if you do, that's where they get the frames/slides from

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:28

The "compact" wc kit includes :

Fitted frame & slide
Stainless barrel
Barrel link & Pin
Slide dovetailed for sights
Grip safety
Bulletproof slide stop

For $850 - steel frame
$880 - alloy frame

I'm not sure on prices since remsport doesnt have a website, but when I was comparing stuff from fusion, and caspian, on a same stuff basis, the WC package seemed to be a pretty good deal.

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:29
I'm not sure on prices since remsport doesnt have a website, but when I was comparing stuff from fusion, and caspian, on a same stuff basis, the WC package seemed to be a pretty good deal.

$400 for the frame/slide.

Hokie1911
08-03-2011, 19:31
Not sure if you have a DW or Nighthawk, but if you do, that's where they get the frames/slides from

Korean junk. :rofl:

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:33
$400 for the frame/slide.

:shocked:

Is that before any common options, or, is that the only use it as a decoration model ?

I was looking at caspian and with just regular common stuff the slide alone was around $335....

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 19:34
Damn,......don't we make **** anymore?! :steamed:

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:38

forgings come from Korea I believe . All machining work done at Remsport.

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:38

I think your list for usa made goes like this:

STI
Wilson

I *believe* those two make their own frames.

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:39
Does remsport offer a forged alum officers frame ?

Last I talk to John he had some forged anodized officers & commander frames.

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:40
I think your list for usa made goes like this:

STI
Wilson

I *believe* those two make their own frames.

Caspian also.

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:40
:shocked:

Is that before any common options, or, is that the only use it as a decoration model ?

I was looking at caspian and with just regular common stuff the slide alone was around $335....

that's for a checkered frame, serrated slide and sight cuts.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 19:42
Caspian also.

Are the Caspian frames forged or cast?

Hokie1911
08-03-2011, 19:43
that's for a checkered frame, serrated slide and sight cuts.

...and half an hour when John talks your ear off. :rofl:

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:43

cast...

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:44

cast.

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:44
that's for a checkered frame and serrated slide.

The main ones I was really shocked at was the front sight cuts, $60 extra, sorry its $312 for the SS slide from them.

Happen to know if remsport will cut the frame for ramped barrel ?

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 19:45
I think personally i'd much prefer the forged al from remsport than a cast steel from caspian if thats the case.

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:46
The main ones I was really shocked at was the front sight cuts, $60 extra, sorry its $312 for the SS slide from them.

Happen to know if remsport will cut the frame for ramped barrel ?

yes they will. i don't recall the extra cost.

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:46
...and half an hour when John talks your ear off. :rofl:

I talk to him a few times a month. Sometimes my ear bleeds!

He is a good gun and is very helpful.

lsbbigdog
08-03-2011, 19:50
Last special I believe Remsport ran.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/124062-WTS-More-1911-Frames-and-Slides-Frames-for-as-low-as-150.00?highlight=1911

Quack
08-03-2011, 19:51
Fwiw...

one year at the shot show 2008 me and another individual representing my organization happened to walk past a booth with a point tech banner. Both of us being 1911 die-hards couldn't help but check the booth out as it had nothing but 1911 slides and frames in the white, with a few various other 1911 parts. And, it was to early in the morning to head over to the black water (as it was called back then) booth to start pounding beers at the keg(s).

The booth was being represented by two very professionally dressed and well spoken korean gentlemen. We talked with them for at least 20 minutes and my buddy who actually builds guns (centurion arms), to include a few 1911's commented on the visual quality of the forged slides and frames. The korean gentlemen beemed with pride and told us they forged the slides and frames for many american 1911 makers. We asked for who..? "les baer" was the first words out of one of the gentlemens mouth. There were a lot of companies that these forged 1911 slides and frames were being produced for. My compadre asked how he could get the slides and frames for his own builds.. They replied that remsport was the importer and to purchase direct from them would be the best course of action because of the limited numbers he desired.

Now i know it isn't something any american 1911 makers will advertise (i assume for marketing reasons) and you certainly won't see any of them put it in writing (why should they?) but many of the slides and frames on your american made 1911 do come from korea.

This is not a bad thing imo. It is great for the consumer- as it certainly reduces the overall cost associated with building the gun; thus passing on that savings to the consumer.

The samples which we examined "in the white" were top notch and like mr. Berryhill stated "remsport makes the slides and frames for lots of companies (lots of companies). I would be willing to bet that some of you own them and don't even know it."

his statement is true. One of the very few ways to find any of this industry info is at venues like shot, were all the players are lined up ready to "talk." some will give a no answer or double talk so to speak... No good businessman will make information available that could potentially hurt their marketing.

With that being said- those korean forged slides and frames most are using on their american made 1911 will do the job just fine.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 20:00
Crap,.......:faint:

knedrgr
08-03-2011, 20:14
John @ Remsport has a lot of combinations in stuff.

Here's a kit that he has for a bobtail commander:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/DWCOM2.jpg

Z28ricer
08-03-2011, 20:17
Nice to get some pricing info on the remsport stuff without having to call.

I didnt want to go calling them to find out info without being ready to order, nice part about websites, being able to figure lots out without possibly wasting someones time.

Quack
08-03-2011, 20:30
Nice to get some pricing info on the remsport stuff without having to call.

I didnt want to go calling them to find out info without being ready to order, nice part about websites, being able to figure lots out without possibly wasting someones time.

email him with what you are looking for.

remsportsales@aol.com

lsbbigdog
08-04-2011, 05:09
Older retail pricing I have:

Slides w/ Novak's & rear serrations $199
Checkered Frames $230
Barrel w/ link & pin $110

I believe he charges $75 to fit a barrel + bushing and no charge to fit a frame to slide if bought as a set

Email him but most likely he will ask you to call him.

faawrenchbndr
08-04-2011, 06:17
Well,.....it does seem many have been very satisfied with the Remsport frames & slides.