red dot vs low power scope? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : red dot vs low power scope?

Calhoun123
08-03-2011, 19:43
I know very little about scopes and red dots, but I would like to have one or the other on my Ruger 10/22. Most of my shooting will be at about 50 yards and even if I put the scope on a higher caliber weapon, I will be unlikely to shoot over 100 yards.

I have two goals. One is to make it easier for my kids to shoot a rifle with some success. I know they need to learn irons, but keeping their interest through success is even more important. The other goal is to aid my aging eyes that are starting to find irons more difficult to use.

I am thinking I either need a cheap red dot such as you might find with Primary Armsí offerings or a 1x4 vs 2x7 scope. I know I want to be able to shoot with both eyes open and track moving targets.

Do you think I need a red dot; 1x4; or 2x7 ?

Agent6-3/8
08-04-2011, 09:50
JMO, but a scope at 50m might just make shooting too easy. I've got a Primary Arms micro red dot on my AR and 1" targets at 50m is very do-able and fun. Its a good quality piece too that holds zero. Also, a non-magnifying red dot makes tracking moving targets and shooting with both eyes open a breeze.

alexanderg23
08-04-2011, 09:53
I like a low-power scope on my 10/22s. I can drill squirrils in the head all day long, and still make steel ding at 200 yards.

Cheytac
08-04-2011, 09:55
Get a low power adjustable scope... I have a 1-6x on my Savage .22.... :wavey:

LSUAdman
08-04-2011, 10:00
For price, you cant go wrong with the PA mini dot. If you are under 50 yards, I think a scope with higher mag might be a little much. Now if you wanted to push it to 100 yards, or ever think you would want to push it to 100 yards, there are great, cheap scopes in the 1-4x range.

Man...now I want to get a 10/22 and take her out. Threads like this are troublem for me!

gator378
08-12-2011, 13:49
I know very little about scopes and red dots, but I would like to have one or the other on my Ruger 10/22. Most of my shooting will be at about 50 yards and even if I put the scope on a higher caliber weapon, I will be unlikely to shoot over 100 yards.

I have two goals. One is to make it easier for my kids to shoot a rifle with some success. I know they need to learn irons, but keeping their interest through success is even more important. The other goal is to aid my aging eyes that are starting to find irons more difficult to use.

I am thinking I either need a cheap red dot such as you might find with Primary Armsí offerings or a 1x4 vs 2x7 scope. I know I want to be able to shoot with both eyes open and track moving targets.

Do you think I need a red dot; 1x4; or 2x7 ?

I use a 3.5 x10 on my 308 FAL, both eyes open on 3.5. I train that when I shoulder the rifle the cross hairs are on target. Point Shooting but with cross hairs. On the lever action 1894 Marlin have a 1 - 4 scope. The Red Dot is on the Glock 20. I am used to scopes, but red dots are smaller. Scopes and Red Dots are superior to open sights once the eyesight gets older