$400 to spend...what to get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $400 to spend...what to get?

jarubla
08-03-2011, 20:15
Had a yard sale that was pretty darn successful. As the title suggests, have $400 to spend. I am considering the following:

Boolits (I could use more .40), beans (or other dried stuff from Emergency Essentials), or bullion (junk silver).

Asking here as I value you folks' opinions. I'd really like to get a G21 SF, but prolly should get more practical items. Another part of me wants to sock it away, but cash is less useful in a Shumer Hits The Fan situation (I realize for a short while it'll still be used, maybe a few weeks tops).

What would you do?

Thx in advance

-Jay

Mr.Pliskin
08-03-2011, 20:23
What kind of preps do you already have in place?

kirgi08
08-03-2011, 20:24
Read the S/P forum,make a plan and go from there.'08.

jdavionic
08-03-2011, 20:30

That would be my first question too. You develop a prioritized list, and then begin to check off the items starting at the top.

Warp
08-03-2011, 20:44

Without this knowledge any advice would be next to worthless.

How much water do you have physically stored on premise?

Aceman
08-03-2011, 23:40
More food and water is almost never a bad thing...

Mix it up a little. But really, if you have 500 rounds of whatever the primary weapon is - call it good.

if not spend a up to 100 on ammo. Or go practice.

However - a Katydin filter, and some buckets. And 200 worth of rice and canned food....

Can of ravioli at ~.75x100 = $75 for 33 days of food. Add some rice and veggies to that. Staying home can really cut down on the ammo needs.

jarubla
08-04-2011, 02:59
I have 'bout 18 months of food (we try not to have to go to the store, we eat what we set aside, rotate it, etc. & been working on it for a few years), SD is set, but more 40 ammo would be good (is the suggested 500 round count per weapon?). Water is probably a weak point (I do have filters and treatment options, but only about 200 Gal physically stored in place).

Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me a few more ideas--water barrels, ammo, and prolly some more hand tools I have been putting off purchasing.

I have only a very small amount of junk silver (barter). I may nab a few more coins as well, sure wish I had bought when it was $5/oz.

-Jay

RatDrall
08-04-2011, 05:53
$400 can get you an SKS and 500-1000 rounds of ammunition or a Ruger 10/22 and many thousands of rounds, or a $259 Ruger Mark III (the one with the polymer grip frame) and the same thousands of rounds. A rifle or handgun will be worth more than silver or gold, I would think.

You have 18 months of food and 200 gallons of water, you're already outlasting everyone for miles around...

jdavionic
08-04-2011, 06:05
I have 'bout 18 months of food (we try not to have to go to the store, we eat what we set aside, rotate it, etc. & been working on it for a few years), SD is set, but more 40 ammo would be good (is the suggested 500 round count per weapon?). Water is probably a weak point (I do have filters and treatment options, but only about 200 Gal physically stored in place).

Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me a few more ideas--water barrels, ammo, and prolly some more hand tools I have been putting off purchasing.

I have only a very small amount of junk silver (barter). I may nab a few more coins as well, sure wish I had bought when it was $5/oz.

-Jay

So you've got:
1.5 yrs of food
200 ga of water
water filtration system of some kind
500 rds per firearm of ammo

Not sure of your specifics - do you have or need a Get Home Bag? Bug out Bag? Communication equipment? Navigation equipment / maps? Radiation detection equipment? NBC protective equipment?

Those are just off the top of my head. I'll add more later. Also, ammo quantity is a personal assessment. For me, 500 rds per weapon is very little :supergrin:

Mr.Pliskin
08-04-2011, 09:21
Sounds like your pretty squared away. I say if you want a Glock 21 go ahead and get it, being a disiplined prepper is hard work and you need a reward.

And after reading all the Katrina thread maybe you should store one of your pistols off site.

Warp
08-04-2011, 12:11

-Jay

I say no. It just doesn't make sense that way. It's not like a person who has enough ammo but then goes out and buys an additional identical gun suddenly has to have more.

200 gallons stored sounds pretty good to me. That's double what I have here, even.

Kadetklapp
08-04-2011, 13:34
I'd spend some of that on a few silver eagles or Canadian maples.

Also, I'd consider a good medical kit, some fish antibiotics, Israeli bandages, so forth.

A small genset or small solar panel might be handy. Perhaps you should buy some fuel to keep on hand.

Free Radical
08-04-2011, 13:39
If the S really does HTF, ammunition will be very valuable. Just sayin'

Warp
08-04-2011, 14:12
If the S really does HTF, ammunition will be very valuable. Just sayin'

I don't know. There is a LOT of ammunition out there in the hands of a LOT of people and let's face it, most people aren't going to have use for more than a box or so.

wjv
08-04-2011, 14:43
I would suggest some quality equipment such as:

- QUALITY LED Lantern + spare batteries (The Raovac on the Right and the Brunton next to it are excellent)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet02/P1040403.jpg

- QUALITY LED flashlight + spare batteries (iTp C8 produces 6->190 lumen will run for 70+ hours on low, using only 2 AA batteries)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet02/iTpC8.jpg

- An alternate way to cook food and boil water, plus some fuel bottles (Coleman table top propane stove)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/coleman.jpg

- An alternate power source (Champion generator)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/1500W.jpg

- An alternate way to heat (Indoor propane heaters - Always use in conjunction with a CO detector)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/P1040351.jpg

RWBlue
08-04-2011, 14:50
I don't know. There is a LOT of ammunition out there in the hands of a LOT of people and let's face it, most people aren't going to have use for more than a box or so.

You don't buy it cheap and stack it deep for the emergency.
It is used when ammunition can not be found on the shelves.

i.e. I seem to remember not long ago when we got a new pres. that everyone who didn't have deep piles was complaining about the lack of ammo on the shelves. Those with deep piles were being called hoarders. And we were calling the people who didn't buy ammo when it was available stupid.

RWBlue
08-04-2011, 14:55
To the OP:

List risks.
Assess probability.
Make plans.
List items that would be necessary for said plans.
Buy the items that reduce risk, or are necessary for the most risk or the highest risks first.

lawman800
08-05-2011, 15:05
Food and water.

american lockpicker
08-05-2011, 15:10
a Katydin filter

I highly recommend that. Get a proper stainless steel one and some Sigg bottles for water storage.

http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/images_products_large/5926.jpg

Aceman
08-05-2011, 22:20
Based on what you have, I'm thinking HBO. Maybe an Xbox.

Syclone538
08-06-2011, 00:43
I'm sure you have a ton of stuff not listed, so you might already have everything I think of covered.

Ok, the BeeHive State is Utah. Never been there, but looking at a map it looks like the weather and terrain could be drastically different depending on just where you are. I'm going to assume that it's somewhat cold.

You've got food, water and self defense covered.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is staying warm and dry. Many, redundant ways to start a fire, and plenty of stuff to cut firewood. Do you have a fireplace/wood stove?

You mentioned tools, so
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324573
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345668

Communication, and a way to make sure they always have power. A generator, a converter so you can use wall chargers in your vehicles, and a small to medium solar panel that can at least keep a cell phone in use.

Flashlights, lanterns, candles, regular batteries, rechargeable batteries, fuel etc.

At least a small GHB in every vehicle. A couple days food and water, map and compass, something for a little heat, clothes that would allow you to walk a few miles in January. Maybe a come along.

A way to cook any food you have stored that needs cooked, and any meat you might get from hunting without power.

I'm thinking that a solar still like this is something that everyone in S/P might want to think about making.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358199