Conditional Offer of Employment ?'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Offer of Employment ?'s

GeorgiaRedfish
08-04-2011, 12:57
Well I have been given a conditional offer or employment that are dependent on if I pass the psychological interview and a physical. Can anyone give insight to what the psychological test will be like? Friends I know who've taken different test with different agencies say they are testing your temper mainly, but I would like the insight from CT wisdom. Thanks in advance guys.

freeride88
08-04-2011, 13:20
It could be any number of things, including the MMPI. You're not going to be able to "beat" it, so don't even try. Just answer all the questions honestly and try to be patient, because it may be a long day. When it comes time for the sit-down with the psych, be calm and don't lose your cool no matter what he says. Be prepared for some strange questions. Think about your answers before you speak and stick with them. Some of them seem to question your answers as if you've answered incorrectly. Stick with your answers. They likely just want to see if you'll waffle under pressure.

There's not much you can say about psych tests. Plenty of good candidates seem to have trouble with them, don't let it bother you too much if you do. Just do the best you can and be honest.

SCSU74
08-04-2011, 13:25
I had the MMPI as well. It's about 200 of the dumbest questions you will ever read. Do you step on cracks in sidewalks? do you love your mother? do you torture animals? All kinds of weird stuff. Best advice is just answer each truthfully and don't try to answer the way you think they want you to. The one i took was true/false and just take each question at face value.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-04-2011, 13:48
Well I already took two psych tests like that, where it was asking weird questions in a test format. This one will be an interview, with a psychologist so I guess it will just be the same type questions but they are looking more at how I respond?

Mattz
08-04-2011, 18:29
Dude it's just common sense stuff. You'd have to be a looneytoon to fail one.

wrenrj1
08-04-2011, 18:31
What ever you do, don't pull the Dr's finger if he asks you to...

phred119
08-04-2011, 18:52
Mine was the MMPI. It seemed like it was about 20 multiple choice questions, asked 30 times over, phrased slightly differently each time. Stuff like "I hear voices in my head", "I listen to the voices in my head", etc.

After that, it was a nice sit down chat with the shrink. I really don't even remember what he asked, I was too exhausted from listening to the voices in my head tell me how to answer the questions on the MMPI.

rsagona1
08-04-2011, 18:55
Dude it's just common sense stuff. You'd have to be a looneytoon to fail one.
I've heard of people failing them at one agency but passing them at another agency. It's subjective. If one failed I'd not call them a looney, I'd say it's bad luck (no, I didn't fail).

Did anyone have to draw a picture of themselves? I did. I am certainly not knocking the process, but sometimes I feel this is rediculous.

I have no doubt in the back of my mind the "doctor" is thinking, "hmm, well he didn't draw himself with shoes! He must not think he will be traveling far in life. FAIL!".

I really don't have anything to base the above on, I just find the whole process, well, a way to weed out people.

collim1
08-04-2011, 19:09
I had the MMPI as well. It's about 200 of the dumbest questions you will ever read. Do you step on cracks in sidewalks? do you love your mother? do you torture animals? All kinds of weird stuff. Best advice is just answer each truthfully and don't try to answer the way you think they want you to. The one i took was true/false and just take each question at face value.

Don't forget do you wear red on Fridays?

It was the dumbest test I ever took, and I hated every stinking minute of it. I remember it being more like 400+ questions, but might just be exaggerating because of how excruciating it was for me.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-04-2011, 19:45
Thanks for the help guys, I'll update you when I get the results. My test is Tuesday.

KiloBravo
08-04-2011, 19:45
This thread is really making me not look forward to my psych evaluation, Haha. That is the last test I have before I go to the academy this November. I guess I will plan for a full day of boredom. LOL

Sharky7
08-04-2011, 19:47
No way to prepare for it...You'll be fine as long as you are not nuts. Good luck.

Make sure you write a nice professional letter of acceptance, include a copy to the Chief. Let them know how excited you are to get started and you look forward to working hard and learning in the academy.

DaBigBR
08-04-2011, 20:04
The MMPI-II has 567 items on it, with lots of repetition. The person is then classified in to four or five groups (can't remember which). Each group corresponds with a differing level of adjustment and therefore presumed compatibility for employment. In my state, candidates in group I and II are good to go. Candidates in group III and IV require a separate psychological interview and the agency is then expected to certify that despite the results, the person was found to be suitable for hire. In other words, you can't "fail" it, but the agency can certainly pass on you based on the results.

SCSU74
08-04-2011, 20:52
Don't forget do you wear red on Fridays?

It was the dumbest test I ever took, and I hated every stinking minute of it. I remember it being more like 400+ questions, but might just be exaggerating because of how excruciating it was for me.

ya it was ridiculous, then we had to meet with a dr. after and he asked us why we answered certain questions certain ways

boomhower
08-04-2011, 22:42
It is a pain in the rear. The one I took had a few hundred online questions you answered before the interview with the doc. He asked some questions and 15 minutes or so later it was over with. Not a horrible experience but certainly not something I would want to do again.

CAcop
08-04-2011, 22:54
I know we took the MMPI, Meyers-Briggs, and IQ tests. The schedule to come in with a half a dozen to dozen other people. All of you sit around a table and take the tests from 8 to 12. Then you break for lunch and come back based on when you finsih the test. That is, first one finsihed gets 1:00, second 1:30, etc. Theoretically it could take longer than 30 minutes for the interview portion. I have heard of some going as long as 50 minutes and some as short at 20 minutes.

About 1 out of 5 fail around here. Some do goofy **** in the interview. For example a guy was sitting there talking to the shrink when the shrink answers the phone. The candidate thought he was supposed to "take charge of the situation" and chewed the shrink out for being "rude." They will try to mind **** you at least once. Ask a really personal question that some might take offense to, question your abilties, etc.

Really its like the polygraph. Someone once long ago thought it would be a great idea and maybe it saved on PD one time in a lawsuit. Now everybody does it because a bunch of chiefs needed help figuring out what they really needed to look at in a psyche exam. Of course the shrinks went along with it because it is easy money.

Rabbi
08-04-2011, 23:19
I know we took the MMPI, Meyers-Briggs, and IQ tests.

Did Meyers and an IQ...then an hour with the shrink.

Fairly straigh forward and I actually thought the shrink nailed the right questions with me. (if you look at me as a total candidate, of all the things he could have asked me, he hit the things that actually were worth exploring)

scottydl
08-04-2011, 23:35
I've taken a several of them over the years, all were nearly exactly the same. Hundreds upon hundreds of logic and true/false questions (same tests others have mentioned), and anywhere from no interview to a 45 minute interview with an actual human.

I have a real problem with depts making hire decisions based on a multiple choice print-out, versus focusing more on the personal interview(s) and/or background checks. 1 in 5 is a good average that was mentioned... I "failed" one (first one I ever took in '01 I think), passed the other 4 for various depts I tested for along the way.

Really its like the polygraph. Someone once long ago thought it would be a great idea and maybe it saved on PD one time in a lawsuit. Now everybody does it because a bunch of chiefs needed help figuring out what they really needed to look at in a psyche exam. Of course the shrinks went along with it because it is easy money.

^ This.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-05-2011, 00:17
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Goldendog Redux
08-05-2011, 00:19
I got so bored during my 1 kabillion question psyche test I kinda stopped reading the questions or caring how I answered. I just tried to blaze through as fast as possible. When I spoke with the shrink she asked me about ten times how I dealt with gossip and backstabbing. That was pretty much it.

MF

Gangrel
08-05-2011, 00:28
My girlfriend does research on mentally ill prison inmates and other offender related stuff. I've taken a few of those personality tests for fun, too. It's interesting to see where you lie on a criminal thinking scale (cops and criminals score similarly). My ethics were higher but my ego was massive, apparently :)

Just comes from being sure of one's decisions, right?

Hack
08-05-2011, 01:30
It's funny. In both agencies that I have been with I have never been subjected to one. Honestly I think they are afraid to.

Rabbit994
08-05-2011, 08:08
I've had 2 of them. First time, I was deemed ok with "reservations" and second time, I was deemed ok. The recruiter I had both times, seemed to indicate, only people who fail them are people they expect to. Whole process seems like CYA for department so if you go off your rocker and do something bad, department can say "WE TESTED HIM AND SHRINK SAID HE WAS FINE!"

I didn't end up making it either time due to other factors beside psych.

cowboywannabe
08-05-2011, 08:28
a tree, a table, a Fly. what do they have in common?

CAcop
08-05-2011, 08:58
I've had 2 of them. First time, I was deemed ok with "reservations" and second time, I was deemed ok. The recruiter I had both times, seemed to indicate, only people who fail them are people they expect to. Whole process seems like CYA for department so if you go off your rocker and do something bad, department can say "WE TESTED HIM AND SHRINK SAID HE WAS FINE!"I didn't end up making it either time due to other factors beside psych.

We hired someone was a little off. She managed to keep it together for a couple of years. Then she went off the rails.

Agent6-3/8
08-05-2011, 09:42
During my psych eval I was asked about my family life and I kid you not, if I was an animal, what it would be.

I waited several hours for an interview that took less than five minutes...

DaBigBR
08-05-2011, 11:18
During my psych eval I was asked about my family life and I kid you not, if I was an animal, what it would be.

Well...what did you say?

My money is on "Liger."

wrenrj1
08-05-2011, 18:31
Don't talk about your mother, and if you must, don't call her mommy.

msu_grad_121
08-05-2011, 18:57
Well...what did you say?

My money is on "Liger."

Bred for their skills in magic...

Agent6-3/8
08-05-2011, 23:03
Well...what did you say?

My money is on "Liger."

I said mountian lion as I recall. I'm glad the doc didn't ask for an explanation because I didn't have one. It was the first thing that came to mind. After I graduated the academy several of us were talking about it and apparently one of my Sgt's had answered the same. He surmised that we both are reclusive creatures that prefer to be left alone. Though we can be vicious when the time calls for it. I recokon he pretty well hit the nail on the head.

My favorite though has to be one guy that said he wanted to be a bear. When asked why she said, "so I can **** in teh woods." He passed the test apparently because they hired him! :supergrin: