different speeds between desktop and laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : different speeds between desktop and laptop

jwagess
08-04-2011, 19:30
I have cable modem service rated at minimum of 15Mbs. I am using a dlink dir 615 wireless router. My download speeds are at 15Mbs on wireless, but my desktop speeds are only 6mbs. I'm thinking it is a configuration issue.I don't know what setting I should set in XP to achieve these speeds. My laptop uses Windows 7. I have searched for programs that could be causing the slowdown, but haven't been able to ascertain the reason for this.

cgwahl
08-04-2011, 19:52
Could be the network adapter the computer is using, possibly a bad or not very good cable.

Might be you need to change a setting for the adapter in device manager, but I don't know what that would be offhand.

Length of cable can also sometimes degrade speeds.

Maybe see if you get better results using a different port on the router too. If you do, maybe the port you were using is flaky. Also could try plugging plug into laptop to see if you get similar speeds as desktop. If you do, next thing I'd try is a different network cable.

GIockGuy24
08-04-2011, 19:59
You might try TCP Optimizer.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Pierre!
08-04-2011, 21:54
Windows 7 also includes IPv6 enabled by default.

I know my DIR-655 is IPv6 enabled, and you may also have the same advantage on yours.

As previously mentioned, it may be your desktop NIC (Network Interface Card) that is failing, or needs the drivers updated.

Add to this the fact that it's an XP system - which is not a knock, but points out that the system is older, possibly significantly older than the Notebook.

Faster processor coupled with a faster system bus, better ram speeds, faster more efficient hard drives - this all combines to help the newer system service the calls from the network card and off load it to the next system to handle the transaction.

Many years ago work provided me a computer at home... Okay, I ran the department and took an older system home so that I wouldn't have to always drive in to monitor servers... Had it for a couple years - really had slow internet when it should have been faster...

The firm came into some $$$, so I upgraded to a new system - Amazing how fast that silly 3 Mbps line got! I mean *right now* it was *FAST* !

So - Keep this in mind as well!

Shucks, if you have around $300 you can pick up a nice AMD with Windows 7 Home Premium and 4Gb of ram pretty easily.

Then again, you may need a more extensive tune up as well - old drivers, old temp files, old service pack uninstall files all take up CPU cycles to maintain. Also check the startup processes from MSCONFIG. You don't really need Adobe Acrobat running at the startup - It Will Load when you ask it to.. but why use the ram if you aren't using the program!

Start with a driver update on your computer - Chipset first, then NIC, Video.. and that would be a good start.

Then let us know what happens and we can go from there!

Hope that helps a little bit,
Patrick

kc8ykd
08-04-2011, 22:38
just a note, unless his provider is routing ipv6 to him, it doesn't matter at all if it's running on his machine and/or router.

even if it were, ipv6 does not provide for any 'speed' increases over ipv4.

i would double check to make sure there isn't a duplex/speed mismatch issue.

details on the machine and it's components would be helpful.

Adjuster
08-05-2011, 05:15
How old is your desktop? I use USB wireless network adapters in all my computers and had an issue on an older desktop running USB 1.1 or whatever its called.

Pierre!
08-05-2011, 07:28
just a note, unless his provider is routing ipv6 to him, it doesn't matter at all if it's running on his machine and/or router.

even if it were, ipv6 does not provide for any 'speed' increases over ipv4.

i would double check to make sure there isn't a duplex/speed mismatch issue.

details on the machine and it's components would be helpful.

Did I leave that out? My Bad, and thanks for filling in the gap! :supergrin:

I think my point was that the internal network if it's running IPv6 will give better throughput *internally* than the XP system... it is faster to the router than the XP box. Once it hits the router, it changes speed for sure!

So much typing to do these days, and my brain overruns my fingers! :rofl:

kc8ykd
08-05-2011, 07:42
Did I leave that out? My Bad, and thanks for filling in the gap! :supergrin:

I think my point was that the internal network if it's running IPv6 will give better throughput *internally* than the XP system... it is faster to the router than the XP box. Once it hits the router, it changes speed for sure!

So much typing to do these days, and my brain overruns my fingers! :rofl:

no, ipv6 would not provide him any benefits running it internally, especially if his isp is not running ipv6. ipv6 is a different way of addressing devices, it's not a different way of transmitting data.