Federal .223 ammo @ $298 per thousand [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal .223 ammo @ $298 per thousand

quake
08-05-2011, 17:17
First - yes, everybody seems to hate walmart, but not much I can do about that. If they let me locally-purchase, an American-made product, for a price thatís better than most online sources, I canít bring myself to hate them for it; but thatís just me. Local purchasing also incentivizes local stocking, and thatís also a good thing.

That said, Federal .223 55-grain fmj for $5.97/20 or $298.50 per thousand is worth considering imo. :wavey:

B.Reid
08-05-2011, 17:31
Not a bad deal.

LongGun1
08-05-2011, 18:21
Nice!! :supergrin:

Thanks for the "Heads Up"! :thumbsup:

Carry16
08-05-2011, 18:46
I bought 1000 rounds today from CTD: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM269-5.html

No tax, with shipping came to $325 or so, all on stripper clips. And I don't have to support Wal-mart. I actually bought 990 rounds, but close enough.

B.Reid
08-05-2011, 19:18
I bought 1000 rounds today from CTD: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM269-5.html

No tax, with shipping came to $325 or so, all on stripper clips. And I don't have to support Wal-mart. I actually bought 990 rounds, but close enough.

So for $26.50 you get 10 rounds less. But at least you get to take them off stripper clips!:wavey:

Doc8404
08-05-2011, 20:17
i decided to try some of this...heard good reviews.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845

quake
08-06-2011, 08:16
i decided to try some of this...heard good reviews.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845

:thumbsup: That's a very good deal as long as shipping isn't outrageous.

quake
08-06-2011, 08:46

Other than 20- instead of 30-round boxes and not on stripper clips, same stuff. Same black & white with eagle logo & "AR 5.56" graphic on the box.

I'm personally ambivalent about stripper clips - don't love them or hate them either one; I can pretty much take them or leave them.

Price, basically the same as well. CTD's $325 total for 990 vs. $324.45 (with tax) for 1,000 at WM; not enough difference to matter as you say.

Big thing in my situation is that walmart is one of only two places within 30-35 miles where .223 ammo is sold; believe it or not, it's true in my area. So I like them carrying it. On the 'supporting walmart' thing, I see it much like going to the movies - I don't like everything walmart or hollywood does, but I know that they're not going away either. If decent people refuse to 'support' a decent family movie because it profits the same people who make filth, there'll be no market for decent family movies; and if there's no market for decent family movies, there will cease to be decent family movies.

Similarly with walmart; I'd rather incentivize them to do things that I do like (American-made products like this at good prices) rather than boycott them, leaving them less reason to carry those products that I would like them to. I hate that walmart's carrying tulammo junk; but the fact is somebody (not me) must be buying it because they keep re-stocking it, and they're in the business to sell things. If people just refused to buy junk, they absolutely would quit carrying junk because the junk would sit on the shelves taking up space and not contributing to profit. I don't hate walmart for carrying justin bieber crap either - they carry it because people are idiots and will buy it. :cool:

LongGun1
08-06-2011, 08:52

No problem supporting Wal-mart..

(major suckage for most communities now if they ever went under...IMO)

..but on the flipside..

..I have a particular fondness for 5.56 ammo on strippers! :supergrin:

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpreps/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2153&hilit=

So for $26.50 you get 10 rounds less. But at least you get to take them off stripper clips!:wavey:

Actually, adding my local tax to the Wal-mart ammo..

..the difference is less than 10 bucks..

..& adding in time/gas vs. delivered to your door.. :whistling:

Details...details! :rofl:

Prepackaged on strippers is a major plus for me & mine...

poodleshooter1
08-06-2011, 09:04
I am on THE way to go buy some.

Carry16
08-06-2011, 10:07
I knew the stripper clips would appeal to LG1 :wavey:

Wal-mart now has many of their banks (Arvest) in the Springfield, Mo area and are preparing to open two grocery only stores - I suppose in an effort to drive the grocers out of the area. You would think all the super WM's would be enough.

I agree, if WM went belly up there would be a huge sucking sound as many communities implode.

I admit it, I'm also a WM ammo buyer if they have a good price on 22 LR, pistol ammo, etc. It's seldom that I buy .223 locally, except for special stuff from a gun shop like AP, or special shotgun ammo that just isn't available anywhere but a gun shop or mailorder. There are many gun shops in my area and I try to keep them in business by trading with them as much as possible.

We don't buy breads, meats or milk from WM. All local grocers will price match WM so there is very little they have to offer that the local grocery doesn't have. I buy my Straight Talk phone cards at WM and a few other minor things. We still have a pretty good selections of shops to choose from, and I'm hoping it will stay that way. That's the biggest reason I avoid Wm if I can.

All in all, I'm glad to see the prices dropping on quality ammo and the availability to be back. I shoot crap surplus ammo in my SKS, but not in my ARs or .308s. In fact, most .308 I reload for accuracy, or order BVAC reloads for plinking with the M1A. 5.56 is still a toss up as to weather it's worth my time to reload...I'm not looking for sniper accuracy with an AR.

I like the idea of encouraging WM to carry stuff we like (Quake). They have had an attitude adjustment lately - they are bringing guns back into the stores and stocking lots of ammo including shotgun slugs and 00 buck. It's a good thing as Martha would say.

Doc8404
08-06-2011, 11:19
Other than 20- instead of 30-round boxes and not on stripper clips, same stuff. Same black & white with eagle logo & "AR 5.56" graphic on the box.

I'm personally ambivalent about stripper clips - don't love them or hate them either one; I can pretty much take them or leave them.

Price, basically the same as well. CTD's $325 total for 990 vs. $324.45 (with tax) for 1,000 at WM; not enough difference to matter as you say.

WM is for TWELVE HUNDRED ROUNDS.

LongGun1
08-06-2011, 13:30

I understood Quake to say WM (Wal-Mart) was 1,000 rounds...

poodleshooter1
08-06-2011, 13:31

I went to WM and did not see this, or any other .223 ammo by Federal/AE for that matter. I checked to see if they might be out of stock, but all the labels were regular, no deals like the above.

Carry16
08-06-2011, 15:28
The 1200 rounds is the IMI ammo from Wideners, not WM.

Doc8404
08-06-2011, 22:43
I understood Quake to say WM (Wal-Mart) was 1,000 rounds...

sorry gents, was thinking Widener's.... :rofl: