ANyone carry double bladders in their BOB/Pack? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ANyone carry double bladders in their BOB/Pack?

Aceman
08-05-2011, 22:15
I have enough room. I'm thinking of adding a second bladder. Is this just ridiculous?

Spiffums
08-06-2011, 03:55
Full or empty? I have an camelbac sleeve that I can hook up to the outside of my pack and gives me one inside and the extra.

Not sure it would be worth the weight if you weren't in an area that was spare on water.

TangoFoxtrot
08-06-2011, 04:46
I have enough room. I'm thinking of adding a second bladder. Is this just ridiculous?

I carry a 50oz bladder in my GHB and a 100oz bladder in my field pack. Carrying an extra bladder is fine if you have the room.

RatDrall
08-06-2011, 05:50
I always keep a 1L collapsalbe canteen from Platypus in my pack, as a backup in case my primary system leaks/pops/breaks/whatever.

I would pack a stainless steel canteen before a second large bladder, at least you can use the SS to boil water in.

Dexters
08-06-2011, 07:24

It really depends upon where you are and the availability of water along your route.

There are Appalachian Trail hikers who know where the water sources are via GPS and they try to carry only enough water to make it to the next source.

fire65
08-06-2011, 08:01
As long as you can handle the weight, you can never have to much water.

LongGun1
08-06-2011, 08:34

I carry 3 large bladders in GHB Gear.....and double or triple in BOBs.

Backfill adapters for the Katadyn Water Filters & QD attachments also.

They are stored clean & dry...bottled water for the initial fill & at least 1 refil..

..along with electrolyte/energy mix if needed.

And yes...all three get emptied before filled again...

..especially if pushing hard and/or in hot, humid temps like we have now.

YMMV

Aceman
08-06-2011, 15:34
As much as water is generally available, I'd rather have a) More on hand b) The ability to process more at once and c) avoid lizards with teeth as long/much as possible. Plus - two is one, blah, blah, blah...

I think I'm gonna up grade to a second one.

That would mean:

2x 2l Bladders
2l canteen
1l bottle

+ filterstraw and water purification, along with gathering gear (condoms, etc...)