Any thoughts on this one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this one?

Morris
08-05-2011, 23:44
Now we train with mercenaries . .

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/kouri/080408

Trigger Finger
08-06-2011, 00:33
Overall I don't see any advantage to using Blackwater or a similar type of hired gun! In fact I can see disadvantages like where, ultimately, does there loyalties lay and who do they take orders from. As the article says, Soldiers are soldiers and cops are cops!

We don't need soldiers policing our streets unless there is that one in 10,000 chance of a huge riot like L.A. had in 92. Then you just call in the National Guard.

I think they need to just hire more police officers and don't lay any off and provide better training and perhaps weapons/equipment.

Morris
08-06-2011, 00:42
I read the article as someone who was upset that agencies trained with Blackwater. They seemingly gloss over the fact that Blackwater started as a training facility to help .mil and cops who needed a place and instructors for advanced needs.

msu_grad_121
08-06-2011, 01:47
The vast majority of the world only knows Blackwater from the blurb about their contractors being killed in Falluja. And most of the media is too lazy/stupid to look into the company's background. It's too bad, because from what I understand, their training and contractors are first rate.

As for the "why hire them when you could x-y-z" argument, if they're being hired, its for the specialized knowledge and/or equipment they possess, which the average candidate doesn't possess. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Also note, that article is 3 years old, and I don't remember New Orleans being overrun with Blackwater shooting the place up, either, so... :dunno:

CAcop
08-06-2011, 01:52
From what I understand the only thing still named Blackwater is the training facility. Ze is the merc side of the house. What they should do is create a LE training company with some completely different name so it flys under the radar. Rainbow Training Concepts should throughly throw reporters off the track.

kirgi08
08-06-2011, 02:27
Where does a mans loyaties lie,in the on that governs him,or the one that pays him.'08.

TScottW99
08-06-2011, 07:13
Blackwater was training police long before 9/11. As was Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc... etc.... etc.... Only difference now is that Blackwater has become a dirty word.

A6Gator
08-06-2011, 07:30
I saw the date on this story is 2008, so is Lexington still a sanctuary city? I find it remarkable the mayor didn't like tactical training from what is now Xe, but also refused training from ICE, because it conflicted w/his sanctuary policy.

Sam Spade
08-06-2011, 07:36
Thoughts? Sure.

"You're bad and therefore anything we can do to slur you is good."

Agent6-3/8
08-06-2011, 07:53
Providing training, no problem at all.

I realize the article is old, but giving mercenaries police powers and turning them loose on the streets of America is a bad idea. That my friends, is a very slippery slope.

Hack
08-06-2011, 08:05
So, the US can hire mercenaries and the Governor of a state cannot? There is dual sovereignty in the USA because state governments are their own individual sovereigns as well; although subject to the laws of the US constitution. I don't think there is anything in either state or US documents that prevent them from hiring soldiers or mercenaries for the state. As to hiring from any contractor agency, all of them to my knowledge train law enforcement; corrections; military groups. Nothing unusual there. Since they are being hired at the the state level I don't see where they would be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.

4949shooter
08-06-2011, 08:10
Interesting. I would like to know what aspects of police work they are training.

I could see them having knowledge in firearms training, etc., especially advanced training for law enforcement snipers, anti-sniper training as well as sub gun training.

The rules of engagement for police officers differ from those of mercenaries. This should be stressed if these types of personnel are to be used for training.

ateamer
08-06-2011, 14:56
BFD. Officers should get their training from the people most qualified to present it. If that means Blackwater, then the PD should be hiring Blackwater to train them. If some ***** can't deal with that, they can just step back and keep living their own timid life.

Trigger Finger
08-06-2011, 16:49
BFD. Officers should get their training from the people most qualified to present it. If that means Blackwater, then the PD should be hiring Blackwater to train them. If some ***** can't deal with that, they can just step back and keep living their own timid life.

Training is fine. Putting on a badge and patrolling the streets and investigating crimes, no, they are not qualified! Anyone who thinks they are qualified to act as police officers and detectives needs to have there mental status checked. The question was "are they qualified to act as officers" Not train officers.

Cav
08-06-2011, 17:23
I come from a Military back ground, as do many officers I work with. I have lots of combat and deployments than brings real world dealings to my job. Should I not share what I have been thru?

FWIW in 1992 my unit, 1-9 Inf left Fort Ord and responded to the LA riots. I also did border patrol as part of JTF-6 on the US/Mexico border in the 90's.

I trained with local SWAT Teams in GA, when with the 4th RTB at Fort Benning, we each shared how we did things.

I trained with the Military for riots in America and overseas.

I responded to Katrina/Rita for help on the 'Military' side. When police quit and walk away from the job, and the military is limited on what laws it will take action on, if you had the money, would you hire "Contractors" or just let bad people do bad things and not care? Do you want nothing to keep the streets safer or something to make things safer?

I have a lot of Military training and I could be a contractor, a trainer, or do police work. I can still go from one job to another if I had to.

Fact is today both the Military and Police have changed to close the gap on how different things were done. Each can train each other. Its a good thing. Only a fool would think its bad, and yes there are a lot of fools out there.

IMHO its a biased column.