Forged or Cast [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forged or Cast

carguy2244
08-06-2011, 05:13
I spoke with a gunsmith, well known, about building a ground up 1911 for me.
He uses Caspian frames, which are made from Pine Tree Castings. He says they're tougher than forged, He was a master gunsmith for the AMU, and speaks from experience.
So, Caspian frame, or quality forged frame? Which do you prefer, and why?
I'd ask opinions here on this issue, and it would be great if you could refer to experience rather than what you just read or heard about the subject "second hand".
Thanks.

BTW, I'm probably getting this build done as soon as we can determine the specs I want - it'll take a year to get done - better than the 5 years on some lists I guess.

bac1023
08-06-2011, 05:38
I prefer forged unless its Caspian. I have no problem with Caspian cast frames.

Several of my high end 1911s use them.

samuse
08-06-2011, 06:08
There's a good chance that I'm having the same guy building me a 1911 right now.

He's using a Caspian frame.

I told him which sights, safety and trigger I like, and told him to build the rest.

I figured that if he's worth the wait and the money, then who the hell am I to tell him how to build a gun??

CDW4ME
08-06-2011, 06:38
What advantage to you would a cast frame provide over forged?

Do makers like Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Dan Wesson (2010 +) use cast frames? :whistling: If no, why not?

I'm not knocking the cast frame, just asking legitimate questions that you might consider too.

lsbbigdog
08-06-2011, 06:56
I have been using Remsport (forged) as of late. I have had a few issues with some Caspian builds. Not with the cast but with their QC.

bac1023
08-06-2011, 06:58
What advantage to you would a cast frame provide over forged?

Do makers like Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Dan Wesson (2010 +) use cast frames? :whistling: If no, why not?

I'm not knocking the cast frame, just asking legitimate questions that you might consider too.

I'm not saying it has an advantage over forged. The simple fact is that Caspian uses castings and they're very popular for custom builds.

Some castings are weak, others aren't.

MD357
08-06-2011, 07:22
Nothing wrong with Caspian frames and they have or used to have, a lifetime warranty in .45. I'd wager many smiths use Caspian because of their versatility and consistency. They're not stronger than a quality forged frame though. Previously, I believe Caspian did do some forged frame runs.

Personally, I prefer a forged frame if I'm going through the trouble and expense of having something built from the ground up.

Jason D
08-06-2011, 16:53
Patrick Sweeney talks about in one of his books, cast frames being so hard that files just slide right off of them.

My preference is forged, though I do have one with a cast lower.

pistolwrench
08-06-2011, 17:04
Here is what I would do.
I would make a list of those that I consider to be Top 1911 Smiffs.
I would then look at what slides, frames and parts they use.

:cool:

pistolwrench
08-06-2011, 17:05
Patrick Sweeney talks about in one of his books, cast frames being so hard that files just slide right off of them.

Well he would know.......................wouldn't he?

:supergrin:

Quack
08-06-2011, 17:06

:animlol:

Jason D
08-06-2011, 18:32

I would sure hope so.
I have most all his books

carguy2244
08-06-2011, 18:51
I believe most use forged, at least those with whom I'm familiar. I'm told the Army Marksmanship Unit uses ground up builds using Caspian cast frames, and budget isn't a consideration to them. I'm also told the Caspian frames are harder than forged -that when checkering the frames, the gunsmith can feel how soft the forged frame is in comparison.
Just looking for knowledgeable opinions, as I'm only qualified to purchase and shoot the pistol, and analyzing the build itself is WAY out of my league.
Thanks for your direction.

knedrgr
08-06-2011, 20:23

:rofl: awesome!

silversport
08-07-2011, 05:49
I would think a good forged frame or a good cast frame is good while the others are not...:D...

FN uses cast frames in their Mk III Hi Powers that are stronger than their earlier forged frames (to handle the .40S&W pressures)...

Bill

Nakanokalronin
08-07-2011, 08:33
Pine Tree Castings is owned by Ruger and the SR1911 frame is very well made. I wouldn't worry about it since its from Pine Tree but I wouldn't go as far as say that cast frames from other companies would be made just as well.

Three-Five-Seven
08-07-2011, 12:27
Patrick Sweeney talks about in one of his books,

Never, in the history of human kind, have so many words been employed to convey so little substance.