Alternate cooking Source [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alternate cooking Source

TangoFoxtrot
08-06-2011, 05:49
I purchased a freestanding metal firepit yesterday. It has a 14" depth and a large cooking grill. I entend to start storing wood and tinder along with bags of charcoal. I want this to backup my gas grill. I'm also getting an extra tank of propane to keep in storage.

If the gas flow to my oven in the house ever shuts off, due to a SHTF senario, I'll have alternate ways to cook. Does anyone else use a firepit like this? I forgot to meantion I live in the burbs (twp) outside of a small city, where burn barrels and bondfires are not allowed.

Babynine
08-06-2011, 06:50
Awhile back I bought a Trangia alcohol stove and it does a great job of cooking my survival rice and oatmeals.
Because it runs on denatured alcohol it is perfectly safe to use indoors when trying to maintain a low profile while bugging in, or out I guess, it is storm/windproof.
Trangias also have great temp control for steaming rice, unlike many other camp stoves that do not simmer/steam well.

Dexters
08-06-2011, 07:25
Awhile back I bought a Trangia alcohol stove and it does a great job of cooking my survival rice and oatmeals.
Because it runs on denatured alcohol it is perfectly safe to use indoors when trying to maintain a low profile while bugging in, or out I guess, it is storm/windproof.
Trangias also have great temp control for steaming rice, unlike many other camp stoves that do not simmer/steam well.

This is probably a better idea. Large outdoor grills, while in use can be smelled from a distance.

Arvinator
08-06-2011, 13:06
I have a Coleman campstove that is a "Dual fuel" that burns Coleman Fuel or unleaded gasoline. I keep 4 gallons in stock, and I buy 2 gallons every fall.
I also have a large truck rim, deep with a metal grate for a grill/rack. I have a small pile of wood set aside, and I live on 4 acres of woods that we own, with more acres all around. We tried out the fire pit/grill last fall and I call this my 3rd way to cook.

purrrfect 10
08-06-2011, 14:45
There is always McDonalds :rofl:

TangoFoxtrot
08-06-2011, 17:47
I have a Coleman campstove that is a "Dual fuel" that burns Coleman Fuel or unleaded gasoline. I keep 4 gallons in stock, and I buy 2 gallons every fall.
I also have a large truck rim, deep with a metal grate for a grill/rack. I have a small pile of wood set aside, and I live on 4 acres of woods that we own, with more acres all around. We tried out the fire pit/grill last fall and I call this my 3rd way to cook.

Hey always have other options when you can.

UneasyRider
08-06-2011, 18:14
Solar oven is a cheap and effective way to cook and pasturize water too.