.380 SD loads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 SD loads

snowbird.40
08-06-2011, 09:03
Mas - I seem to recall that you are not a big fan of the .380 for a self defense caliber and neither am I. However, having recently retired to Arizona in the winter months and spending summers at a little cabin in Minnesota, I am planning to commute back and forth by air and leave vehicles in both locations for ground transportation.

In order to accommodate the travel restrictions and clothing issues here in Minnesota, where I typically wear a swimsuit with a drawstring elastic waist band, my Ruger LCP has become a primary CCW abdomen carried in a Remora holster. It's also cheap enough that I don't mind leaving a couple up here for me and my wife without major concern of someone breaking in and stealing them.

Here's my question. I owned a couple of the first LCPs and they had problems with hollow point ammunition, so I've just been carrying FMJs in the two new guns purchased last winter. So far, no feeding problems. In addition, I've read in several forums that many people feel hollow points in the .380 caliber prevent adequate penetration to reach vital organs.

What's your take? I like the fact that FMJs are less likely to jam and I feel inclined to buy the penetration argument.

Mas Ayoob
08-06-2011, 14:17
You've pretty much nailed why I don't care for .380s. The HPs may not penetrate deep enough. The FMJ will penetrate, but that's the load that since 1908 established .380 ACP as a miserable manstopper.

Take a strong, strong look at the micro-9mms such as the Kahr PM9 and the new low-priced version of same, or the Ruger LC9. With that way cool Remora holster, the carryability might surprise you, and you'll be much better armed IMHO.

best,
Mas

snowbird.40
08-07-2011, 18:09
Thanks Mas. I'll give strong consideration to your advice.