Tablets, just a passing fancy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tablets, just a passing fancy?

Linux3
08-06-2011, 21:37
I have a few friends with iPads and Asus Transformer 10.1s and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and Acers and on and on.

They are cool and I have thought of getting on but why? Other than the cool factor.
I take a laptop or a netbook on trips and I like having a keyboard. If I just surfed the web and read emails they are nice. But to follow forums and type stuff in.... Not so nice.

All the apps are great and fun to play with but could I really get something done?
They are not a phone, I still need one of those. A few of the brands offer a keyboard but then I have to lug around 2 things. My netbook is smaller!
I would not want to do photo editing on one and for much of anything they are very under powered. Editing php code? I think not.

I read on ZDNet that after somebody's study, I forget who, they found that the major use of a tablet was surfing while on the couch watching TV.

I want from really thinking about getting one to almost a bad attitude about people who have them.

RexKramer
08-06-2011, 22:37
I read on ZDNet that after somebody's study, I forget who, they found that the major use of a tablet was surfing while on the couch watching TV.

And this differs from laptops and desktop computers how?

Seriously, they are not a good cell phone replacement. Definitely not a replacement for a laptop or desktop.

They are here to stay, however, as they are extremely functional for a lot of folks. Basic Internet and email are no prob. I run spreadsheets and work up reports. Manipulate PDF files and forms.

One of the biggest advantages is size. I travel a lot, and lugging even a little MacBook around gets tedious. I can do nearly everything I need to on the road with the tablet. There are a few programs which either don't work, or don't work well on tablets, on those trips I lug a laptop with me.

I work for a mid size flight department, and yes, we use the iPads for our charts. My one pound iPad has replaced over 100 pounds of paper charts. We expected some resistance from the FAA over using them, but frankly, the FAA was blown away by the capabilities of modern tablets (iPads). They have encouraged us to get the program rolling, we can't seem to do it fast enough for them.

So no, I don't think everyone will see a benefit from tablets. But there are plenty of people and organizations who will, enough so that the tablet format will not be going away any time soon.

Pierre!
08-06-2011, 22:37
I also read that ZDNet article - Perhaps Ed Bott last Thurs or Fri???

I am with you... Serves one purpose, Apple's economic stimulus package.

I also agree that they are excellent WHEN it is needed - and there are areas that do benefit from rapid access to critical data... but if you need to INPUT data it's got to be slower than typing.

Medicine is one area that is benefiting, and depending on accessories more processes could be easily managed with a Pad/Tablet platform that has the proper sensors installed/attached.

Me - No interest in even evaluating one at this time... but they look cool!

Does seem that the biggest selling point is entertainment on demand on the fly...

And Hey - What's one more cell phone bill... :rofl:

Tackle
08-06-2011, 22:57
Being a Sys Admin, I get to stay up to date on all sorts of new technology. I have a Viewsonic G-tab and a Asus Transformer. Both are great for their price. I do know that if I want to get some serious work done I need to sit at my desktop pc.

If I just want to browse the web/forums and check e-mail that is where the tablet really shines. It doesn't get hot or heavy on my lap like my laptop. Sure, the screen is smaller, but it still is functional.

Traveling with a tablet is great! I can wireless tether with my smart phone, gets around paying for the extra data package on the tablet. MUCH more portable than my laptop. I have nothing against iOS, but I feel I am more suited with Android (no limits).

I think they will be around for awhile.

BobbyT
08-06-2011, 23:26
Entering anything beyond very simple data would be a huge pain, so in that regard it's no better than a smart phone with a big screen.

A touch screen is nice for very basic commands (hit a widget to check the weather or email) but orders of magnitude less efficient than a real keyboard.

Only real use I see for one is as a portable TV when I'm cooking or doing something else away from my "real" screens.

MadMonkey
08-06-2011, 23:39
Just because you don't see the need for one doesn't mean they're useless... a lot of people use them regularly now for far more than games and surfing. I highly doubt they're a fad.

Personally, I don't need one since I do everything on a laptop and desktop, which a tablet won't replace any time soon. But again, the fact that I don't need one doesn't mean they're not extremely useful for some people.

DreamWeaver88
08-07-2011, 08:14
Right now, it seems Android tablets are sort of a fad. iPads not so much. The iPad sells 24 tablets for every 1 Android tablet sold.

When I'm just relaxing at home, a Tablet is much more convenient than a laptop or netbook. I can look at something, then just toss it on the couch next to me until I want to do something else with it.

A 10" Tablet screen is much better to look at than a 10" netbook screen. With 2 fingers, I can zoom in on anything instantly, and scroll around a website quickly. It's just much easier to mess with.

I also have a smartphone, but I only like using it when I'm not near something bigger. Way too small to mess with at home, unless it's to make or answer a phone call.

If I really need to do work, I have a Laptop.

DW

Ogreon
08-07-2011, 20:32
If we can get the capabilities of a tablet in a form that can be folded or rolled up, then I can see them becoming much more useful and greatly decrease the need for paper.

Adjuster
08-08-2011, 01:18
Tablets are the future in my opinion. I believe they are going to become a part of our everyday lives like the cell phone.

pilsbury
08-08-2011, 04:07
I don't prepare documents or write form letters, so my iPad suits my needs perfectly. Since I bought it, I rarely use my Dell laptop or desktop.

gemeinschaft
08-08-2011, 07:32
I have an iPad and I love it for what it is, but I do wish that it had a USB port and printing support.

It is useful for when I am on the move and need something light, but is not a pleasant to type long e-mails or post on a forum.

I would also like the ability to use Powerpoint without having to make individual PDF slides.

I'd prefer to have a netbook.

Kith
08-08-2011, 10:52
I just picked up a phone with a slide out hardware keyboard.

Between that phone and my Nook Color tablet, I don't really need a computer anymore.

I get printing support wirelessly to my printer with the hp print app, and can print from either device bypassing a computer entirely.

Bluetooth keyboard will allow me to use the Nook with a hardware keyboard if I want, even though bluetooth support is limited at best (B&N didn't even activate the bluetooth functionality, that was done aftermarket by the development community)

My phone will let me output to t.v., which i've been playing with. I can play video through a cable plugged into the headphones jack linked to rca connections on the back of the t.v.

If I got a bluetooth keyboard for the phone, I could have a real keyboard and large monitor, and just that tiny phone on my hip masquerading as a pc.

Have you seen the new wireless portable hard drives yet? I could have 500 gigs of storage space in my pocket, and access it with the phone or tablet device, no wires involved.

The days of the real computer are numbered in all but the most technical of senses once we get wireless portable dvd burners, like the wireless hard drive being introduced into the market.

Heck, my phone has a dual-core 1.2ghz processor and 768 megs of ram, it's almost more powerful then my year and a half old laptop - that's insane.

Tablets are here to stay, and desktop computers will outlast laptops. Just one man's opinion.

Linux3
08-08-2011, 19:25
The days of the real computer are numbered in all but the most technical of senses once we get wireless portable dvd burners, like the wireless hard drive being introduced into the market.

Tablets are here to stay, and desktop computers will outlast laptops. Just one man's opinion.

I'm waiting for that chip that plugs in behind my ear and directly connects my nervous system to the Internet.

boomhower
08-08-2011, 19:31
I really like my iPad 2, in fact I'm posting from it now. Internet, email, Netflix, etc. are all good uses. There are very few things I actually have to get the notebook out for anymore. Apps are actually very useful, think of it as dedicated things for what you do online in a lot of cases. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bullgator
08-10-2011, 10:49
My Dell XPS is a battery hog. My son's Ipad II will go and go and go and go and for along time.

Green_Manelishi
08-14-2011, 11:50
If we can get the capabilities of a tablet in a form that can be folded or rolled up, then I can see them becoming much more useful and greatly decrease the need for paper.

Computers were supposed to greatly reduce the need for paper. :rofl:
I lost track of the number of reports that noone ever reads but are printed by the boxload.

filthy infidel
08-14-2011, 15:19
Tablets are great for doing anything less complicated than posting this. The virtual keyboard= garbage.
I like having a real car to drive when there's a road outside.