The Crap You Got Away With... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Crap You Got Away With...

Agent6-3/8
08-06-2011, 22:51
No not that stuff! :tongueout:

I'm talking about rookie mistakes. Stuff that could have ended bad, but by the grace of God worked out fine and you learned a lesson. Lets hear them!

Here's one that sticks in my mind. Shortly after FTO I was on my one, cruising my beat one hot summer night. I'd stopped in a parking lot to shoot the breeze with a city kitty and kill sometime. (quiet night, not much traffic moving) Shortly after we part company I hear the same officer call out a pursuit. As I'm heading his way he puts out that he's lost the vehicle. As luck would have it, I find the vehicle and initiate a stop.

The vehicle stopped for me as soon as soon as I lit him up. At this point my spidy senses were going crazy, saying, "Something ain't right, bro. He just ran from a city cop, but he stopped for you. He's gonna take off again when you get out...or maybe the ****s gonna hit the fan. He's got blacked out windows, you can see in at all. This a bad juju!"

Did I listen to my gut? Of course not. I was a dumb boot just off of FTO. I approached that car jsut like any other traffic stop! :wow: As it turned out, it was an off-duty city officer dicking with his buddy. Shortly after I defused the situation via tombstone courage the on-duty officer arrived. I informed him of the situation and left him to deal with his retarded squadmate. By that time I was realizing how I very well could have just gotten my fool head blown off had the driver been an actual BG.

Looking back I certainly learned a few lessons. First, I definitely would have waited for back up and conducted a felony stop. Secondly, listen to your gut. If your spidy sense is telling you something isn't right, it probably isn't it. Take a extra few mintues to ensure your safety. So what if it turns out to be nothing, LE isn't a race. You're the boss, command your scene, call, stop.

rudeboy3
08-06-2011, 23:40
I love these threads...keep em coming old timers, teach some of us FNGs things NOT to do!:supergrin:

Patchman
08-07-2011, 08:28
I learned that 10W40 motor oil will ignite. And the exhaust manifold will get hot enough to ignite 10W40. Oh..., and CO2 fire extinguishers do work. :whistling:

:rofl::rofl:

MeefZah
08-07-2011, 11:14
Statute of limitations not yet expired. :rofl:

buddah
08-07-2011, 11:32
Still actively on the job. I'll post some of my stories after the first pension check arrives.

ClydeG19
08-07-2011, 11:52
Didn't tighten the cuffs enough on a really petite woman once. She slipped them in the back of the patrol car and I found out when I got to the station. Then I put the set of cuffs in my pouch without un-doublelocking them. Of course, I get into a tussle with a guy later in the evening and here I am trying to jam these double locked cuffs on him. I eventually went to the second set, but either incident could have turned out worse. The 101 had already been searched, but the guy hadn't.

Another time I was solo on a dv call and the male half was a big boy. He didn't like the fact that I went to detain him in handcuffs and we wrestled a few seconds before I backed off and drew my taser on him. We had pool tasers at the time and the battery wasn't seated all the way, so when I flipped the safety off, I got nothing but the startup routine over and over. So I'm standing there, bluffing the guy that I'm going to taser him if he doesn't prone out, knowing I can't do it anyway and knowing this guy is going to pummel me if he decides to do so. Luckily some other people that were there seemed to have some luck in talking him down, so I just shut up and let them do it. After a minute or so, he willingly cuffed up.

Glockdude1
08-07-2011, 12:15

:agree: ___ :whistling:

DaBigBR
08-07-2011, 14:18
As it turned out, it was an off-duty city officer dicking with his buddy. Shortly after I defused the situation via tombstone courage the on-duty officer arrived. I informed him of the situation and left him to deal with his retarded squadmate.

That is perhaps the most retarded thing that I have ever heard. Somebody would be getting a sack of doorknobs for that one.

Agent6-3/8
08-07-2011, 14:46
That is perhaps the most retarded thing that I have ever heard. Somebody would be getting a sack of doorknobs for that one.

Yea, no kidding!

I don't know the finaly disposition of his stunt once the cheif found out, but his on-duty co-worker was a little less than pleased with his antics. A stunt like that could have ended badly on several levels...

RetailNinja
08-07-2011, 14:57
Always let the shift daddy know where you're at because the one time you don't, and you have a 10-200 outside of your patrol area, you WILL hit something.

When tired on a lonely night, getting out of the car, jogging a half mile, then returning to driving will not make you more awake.

Concrete culverts are hard....

DaBigBR
08-07-2011, 17:00
I honestly am not coming up with any right now. When I was a reserve there was a time that I was riding with a new full time officer who decided to see how fast the car would go (on an interstate grade highway). He blew it up. The car failed because of poor maintenance on the part of our department administration at that time, but there's no feeling quite like completely destroying a motor with less than 40,000 miles (but more than 36,000 miles) on it.

collim1
08-07-2011, 19:18
I once used the word "biffed" in the narrative of a traffic crash report and it slipped by and got approved.

It was on a dare.

Now our current leadership does not have any sense of humor. I'd prolly tote 3days suspension for that one now.

Sharky7
08-08-2011, 00:27
Didn't know the town too well yet and was responding to a shots fired in progress call with less than a year on. Hit the train tracks going 50+ and got airborne....Had no idea it was as steep as it was and dropped so quick after the tracks. Luckily, no damage and no problems and thankfully this was before in car cameras at my PD. I had that "oh crap" feeling while in the air for a second and felt the bad vibes/adrenaline hit my body when I was in the air and thinking it was not going to end well.

The-Fly
08-08-2011, 01:41
Didn't know the town too well yet and was responding to a shots fired in progress call with less than a year on. Hit the train tracks going 50+ and got airborne....Had no idea it was as steep as it was and dropped so quick after the tracks. Luckily, no damage and no problems and thankfully this was before in car cameras at my PD. I had that "oh crap" feeling while in the air for a second and felt the bad vibes/adrenaline hit my body when I was in the air and thinking it was not going to end well.

Any chance this was your squad car?

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1960-1969/1969-Dodge-Charger-General-Lee-DOH-Jump-Swamp-1024x768.jpg

ateamer
08-08-2011, 02:39
Finding an occupied stolen car, sneaking up on it, finding the crackhead who stole it asleep inside, and greeting him with a tap on the forehead from the muzzle of my revolver and "wake up, *******."

pal2511
08-08-2011, 07:35
Didn't tighten the cuffs enough on a really petite woman once. She slipped them in the back of the patrol car and I found out when I got to the station. Then I put the set of cuffs in my pouch without un-doublelocking them. Of course, I get into a tussle with a guy later in the evening and here I am trying to jam these double locked cuffs on him. I eventually went to the second set, but either incident could have turned out worse. The 101 had already been searched, but the guy hadn't.

Another time I was solo on a dv call and the male half was a big boy. He didn't like the fact that I went to detain him in handcuffs and we wrestled a few seconds before I backed off and drew my taser on him. We had pool tasers at the time and the battery wasn't seated all the way, so when I flipped the safety off, I got nothing but the startup routine over and over. So I'm standing there, bluffing the guy that I'm going to taser him if he doesn't prone out, knowing I can't do it anyway and knowing this guy is going to pummel me if he decides to do so. Luckily some other people that were there seemed to have some luck in talking him down, so I just shut up and let them do it. After a minute or so, he willingly cuffed up.

our tasers do that all the time. I have brought it up to administration but they say everything is ok :steamed:

Cochese
08-08-2011, 08:38
Finding an occupied stolen car, sneaking up on it, finding the crackhead who stole it asleep inside, and greeting him with a tap on the forehead from the muzzle of my revolver and "wake up, *******."

That sounds like a whole ****load of win!

Nick.45
08-08-2011, 19:19

Kinda like this? Although he did not have a chance to get away with it. Start at about 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tT86iADhk

golls17
08-08-2011, 19:55
<---- Still a rookie making rookie mistakes, but...

We had an armed bank robbery attempt. I find the car in a back apartment parking lot. Pulled waaaaaay too close to it. FTO's yelling on the radio "I have the car!" and yelling at me "back the **** up". I'm slamming it into reverse thinking "****, that was not a good idea".

Car ended up being cleared by the K-9 and was empty. I will never get close to a suspect car again unless I'm ramming the guy off the road, which our department doesn't allow anyways, so...

x_out86
08-08-2011, 21:20

Still actively on the job. I'll post some of my stories after the first pension check arrives.

Ditto to both....Check back with me in about 20 years.

MeefZah
08-08-2011, 23:12
Kinda like this? Although he did not have a chance to get away with it. Start at about 1:00.

Towards the end, I was highly impressed with the male dispatcher.

Ours would be drooling on themselves and speaking in gibberish.

G27Chief
08-09-2011, 01:35
Oh my my, you did not go there.........gonna have to think on this

boomhower
08-09-2011, 01:56
Shortly after being turned loose of FTO stopped a car. I'm talking to the driver when his car suddenly leaped forward, I didn't put the darn thing in park. Thankfully the driver was an off duty out of town cop driving a pos who didn't care. I was driving an old car that had almost no damage, glad I didn't have to face that one sided conversation.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

pal2511
08-09-2011, 02:04

Ya thats a funny cops episode. Thats right up there with "GET ON IT MEL"

DaBigBR
08-09-2011, 10:37
Towards the end, I was highly impressed with the male dispatcher.

Ours would be drooling on themselves and speaking in gibberish.

I listen to the DMPD live feed on occasion. I have always been very impressed with the professionalism of their radio traffic, at least in comparison to ours.

PinkoCommie
08-09-2011, 20:51

I like your style!