Nightforce scope mount question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce scope mount question

Grovenator
08-07-2011, 14:22
I really thought I posted this earlier. I must not have clicked "Post".

I perused your stickies and couldn't find anything referencing my concern. Of course it wouldn't be the first time I missed something. : )

I have a Nightforce one piece 30mm scope mount. It is installed on the rifle and my new scope is on the way.

I noticed some dark, barely visible, red paint on one side of the rings that is brushed across the joint where the two halves come together. I know this is to make sure I put them back together just as they left the factory.

My question is: Does this also indicate that I don't have to lap the rings? I don't know if Nightforce mounts are sooooo good that they don't need to be lapped or not. Or is this something all quality mount makers do simply to make sure all the screw holes line up right? Bottom line, do I have to/should I lap the rings?

Thanks Zak.

Zak Smith
08-08-2011, 11:08
I don't know that I've seen a set of rings with those marks, but sometimes when I remove my rings I'll put a pencil mark, or just arrange them on the table so I put them back the same way.

Lapping should not be required when using good equipment, but it can only help everything if you do it. Any slight warpage in the base, or misalignment using a 2-piece base, or any slight inconsistency in a base side to side offset can create the need to lap. I always lap the bottom rings once they're torqued down and usually never lap the top ring halves.

Grovenator
08-08-2011, 18:40
Thanks Zak.:wavey: That helps.