Favorite off duty/plain clothes leather belt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite off duty/plain clothes leather belt?

Cav
08-07-2011, 14:59
I need to get some belts, brown and black to wear in plain clothes. Anyone have a favorite that holds up well?

I looked at some $50-$60 dress belts and they were nice for looks, but I need a wide belt (like 1 1/2") to hold my gun, badge, cuffs, radio etc... Something that might hold up well with the gear, but look good as well. Most seem thin and cheap for the leather and buckle.

I have some 1 3/4" belts, but they are not dress, and some 5.11 dress belts but they dont hold up all that great. I might be stuck with the 5.11 or maybe try Blackhawk. Reall want a nice brown leather belt.

Thanks.

collim1
08-07-2011, 15:33
I have heard a lot of bad reviews on the 5.11 dress belts as well. I passed on them.

For open carry in dress clothes I use a Beltman 1.5" horsehide that is tapered in the front to look more like a dress belt. It supports a P226 and a reload just fine, and is a darn nice looking belt. I chose not to go with the internal stiffener, but that is an option if you really want a stiff belt. The taper is a really nice feature.

For less formal open carry I still use my 1.75" 5.11 web belt with the internal stiffener and that thing is a serious strap. It can support more weight than I would want to carry around. Unfortunately it would look stupid to wear slacks and a button down with it.

I would order a cordovan and black horsehide from Beltman. It was a breeze to order as his website is very well made and all questions are answered in his FAQ, I recommend reading through it before ordering.

collim1
08-07-2011, 15:34
Also, even though my belt is listed as a 1.5", it fits the 1.75" slots on my holsters really tight so there is almost no wiggle.

Cav
08-07-2011, 15:41
I will check out Beltman.

My 1.75" 5.11 belt is great in black a basket weave (use it more for motorcyle rides than anything). I have about 5 of the 1.5" 5.11 dress belts. The light brown I wear a bit and it had the coating/color come off. The two dark brown and black ones I have not worn much. I paid close to retail on two and the other three I got for like $5. But its not a great belt, its cheap made in china stuff and does not hold up to extra gear (my iPhone clip tore the painted finish up in a few days).

oldsoldier
08-07-2011, 15:42
http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/

I've dealt with this guy twice. I bought the Quick Ship 1.5" belts and had them within 4 days.

collim1
08-07-2011, 16:23
Beltman will cost you about $115 to get the belt like I got. He does have some quick ship belts for less, but honestly this belt should last 10+ years you might as well get it how you like it.

Hack
08-07-2011, 16:36
I just use my leather work belt, but I am only holding up a holster and my Glock.

TexasSchool Cop
08-07-2011, 16:52
I get mine from the prison system. They hold up 5 years or more. I would not buy any of the retail ones any more.

DaBigBR
08-07-2011, 16:56
I use a Galco dress belt and like it. Price is fair, support is good, usually in stock somewhere. The 5.11 dress belts are good for two or three uses, but then the finish starts to scrape off where the holster rides.

Patchman
08-07-2011, 17:05
I purchased 2 Dillon Precision belts (a black and a brown) back in 2001/2002(?) and have used the black one everyday since then. The finish is worn off and it's gotten a little soft, but when I cinch it one extra hole, it still holds the gun tight to the body. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

As for those dressy occasions (suits), I'll wear the other Dillon belt, the Bullman belt or the Artoonian belt. Can't decide whether the Bullman or the Artoonian is my favorite.

packsaddle
08-07-2011, 17:39
Mernickle Leather.

Expensive but nice.

I'm picky that way.

jedi573
08-07-2011, 19:06
Safariland sells some decent off-duty 1.5" belts.

I'd also recommend "The Beltman." I recently got one of their "quick ship" 1.5" belts; it's pretty sturdy for a gun, badge, and extra magazine. I think if you wanted to add anything else, the 1.75" is a reasonable consideration.

Andy

Agent6-3/8
08-07-2011, 20:30
I'm really happy with my Aker B21's. Quality leather and kydex reinforced and cost about $40.

In all honestly though, I've almost completely gone to wearing nylon unless I need something dressier. I've been using a 5.11 Operator belt for about 18 months now and have really grown to love it. Its kydex reinforced, so its plenty stiff and the adjustability of a nylon belt can't be matched by leather.

RetailNinja
08-08-2011, 11:09
Milt Sparks belts and Galco SB2 belts

Ajon412
08-13-2011, 13:40
Give these guys a look-see....:wavey:

http://www.concealedcarry.com/