Mr Ayoob... the 165 gr PDX-1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mr Ayoob... the 165 gr PDX-1

Scooper
08-07-2011, 15:00
Winchester .40 cal PDX-1 165 grain.

Any word on how it has been doing ? I have a chance to get a fair amount of it at a low price. I have seen on various sites that its bonding process is not as good as some of the other bonded bullets and that it doesn't expand as well as other bonded bullets also. Have you heard or seen anything similar ? Never sure what to believe on the internet.

Do you have any barrier test data on this round ? [ autos,glass, walls etc... ]

I would be using it out of a Glock 23 and if the internet is to be believed it should come out at around 1100 to 1120 fps depending who chronographed it. is that an acceptable velocity for it to work or should it be used out of a 4 1/2 barrel ?

I know most civilian shooting occur with little barriers but I have almost and I do mean ALMOST had to shoot on 3 separate occasions around cars and 1 around a structure so barrier penetration has been moved up my list a bit.

They list the energy at 476 and the Silvertip and Remington's plain 155 gr jhp right at 500 energy. Assuming all three numbers are correct is that a noticeable difference between them in actual shootings ? Is that the main part of the " Lightning Bolt " effect you hear about ?

Sorry for so many questions at one time but I can't really seem to find the answers anywhere.

Mas Ayoob
08-07-2011, 17:56
Sorry bro, don't have any field feedback on it yet. Search of the Caliber Corner archives here, or Google, might turn up some testing data on it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Mas

Scooper
08-07-2011, 18:53
Thank you sir

Darn the luck. Added it to Caliber Corner as you suggested.
I used all the Google Foo I could muster the last 3 nights with no luck.

I suppose that means you haven't heard anything bad about it then either ?

Lord I'd hate to be a guinea pig if I bought this round for carry :nailbiting:

well could you expand upon this if you have the time ?

They list the energy at 476 and the Silvertip and Remington's plain 155 gr jhp right at 500 energy. Assuming all three numbers are correct is that a noticeable difference between them in actual shootings ? Is that the main part of the " Lightning Bolt " effect you hear about ?

Mas Ayoob
08-07-2011, 19:09
A small difference in fpe (foot pounds of energy) is neither a deal-maker nor a deal-breaker for me personally. Bullet design and performance is probably more important.

All the full-power loads in this range that have been tested on the street have worked well. That includes the 155 grain JHP at approx 1200 foot-seconds (in Winchester Silvertip shootings I've run across, and in US Border Patrol's extensive use of Remington and Federal 155 grain JHP), and includes the full power 165 grain JHP at approx 1140 foot-seconds (Remington Golden Saber in Tulsa, Winchester Ranger-T and Speer Gold Dot in Nashville and elsewhere). I'd be comfortable carrying any of them in my .40s irrespective of barrel length.

The 165 grain PDX LOOKS promising, but I'm inclined to turn the page in the Winchester ammo catalog and go with the 165 grain Ranger series, which is well proven.

Blessed are the guinea pigs who find out for the rest of us what works or not, but like you, I don't want to be one.

best,
Mas

Scooper
08-10-2011, 14:14
Thank you again.

In regards to the Winchester Silvertip, I have read on forums that it does not penetrate as much as other plain JHPs in the body and is much worse than regular JHPs when it must pass thru a barrier first.

Either of those correct ? [ hope not ]

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2011, 14:25
Apparently none of the people killed with 155 grain Silvertip in the cases I was called in for had read the forums, since they immediately collapsed and died with body shots. In each case, widely expanded bullets were found lodged in opposite side of the body.

None involved barricade penetration, however.

Best,
Mas

Scooper
08-10-2011, 14:51
Thanks for the info

Since I did read the forums I don't feel so scared of Silvertips anymore, lol