Role of Remora holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Role of Remora holster

jack76590
08-07-2011, 19:49
Mas,

I just got a Remora holster to try out. Interesting, but I wonder what role it should play for concealed carry.

At this point, and again I just got it, I don't envision it as a primary carry holster, but rather a back up, loaner, or for an occasionally carried handgun for which you don't yet have a holster. This is one virtue of the Remora - a single holster will work with a variety of handguns.

Other big virtue is that you don't have to worry about conflicts between BELT loops and HOLSTER loops, that can prohibit you from putting holster in that special spot on your waist. No need to move belt loops on pants.

But I don't at this point believe the retention or presentation of grip is there when comparied to a good leather or kydex holster molded for specific gun and securely attached to a good belt.

Would appreciate your opinions on and experiences with the Remora holster. Especially interested, if you believe there are some roles for which the Remora is superior or at least equal to a conventional holster.

Jack

Mas Ayoob
08-07-2011, 22:52
Jack, I've just started working with the Remoras, and so far I like what I see. They're not built with retention against a gun-snatch in mind, but they give you lots of options when you're not wearing a belt. The right size for the gun should allow the same access you'd have with any IWB holster. They also make one with a more rigid mouth, to stay open for holstering. Lots of folks whose opinions I respect, who've worked with the Remora much longer than I have, rave about this holster.

best,
Mas