Holster retention for concealed carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster retention for concealed carry

Ranger357
08-07-2011, 22:46
Greetings,

Any thoughts on weapon retention levels of holsters for concealed carry?

One policy I'm working with has an "Agency approved rention feature" section. This is genereally interpreted as a "strap" or Blackhawk type button release. As I'm sure you know this knocks out a whole lot of holsters, including virtually all inside waitband offerings.

In a way I can see it as your far more likely to fall down, be in a fight, car wreck etc.. than need your pistol, therefore a very secure system seems to make sense. However I also know many agencies approve concealed carry holsters with only friction retention like most IWB models, and I believe even the FBI Safariland OWB holster?

Any of your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Mas Ayoob
08-07-2011, 22:59
I get by sometimes with ready-to-shoot guns in holsters that are only friction tight. They retain against doing a somersault, but won't retain against someone or something latching onto the gun.

I can live with that because I've spent more than 30 years as a weapon retention instructor. As I write this, I'm carrying an S&W Model 66 in the classic thumb-break inside the waistband holster, the Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. It never hurts to have at least one level of retention, i.e., one more thing someone else has to do, to both get your gun away from you and shoot you with it. Open top with an on-safe 1911? That's one level of retention. Point and shoot, with a safety strap? One level of retention. On police duty in uniform, for the last 20 years I've used mostly 2-level or 3-level retention holsters.

Each of us has to define our own needs and purchase our equipment accordingly. It sounds as if you're on the right track for your perceived needs, and you'll get no argument from me. :supergrin:

Best,
Mas

Ranger357
08-09-2011, 20:09
Thank you very much!