Laptop is locking up when watching videos [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop is locking up when watching videos

W Turner
08-07-2011, 23:08
Hope somebody can help me with a small issue I'm having with my laptop.

At least once a day when I am watching videos online (youtube, break.com, etc.) I will select a video and when it goes to the screen to actually start the video my laptop will completely lock up. The screen freezes. No error messages,....just nothing. CTL-ALT-DLT has no effect, I end up having to unplug, pull the battery and reboot.

-I haven't been to any new video sites, haven't downloaded any pop up ads, don't frequent adult video sites, it just started all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago.

Specs: Acer Aspire 5534, AMD Athlon 64x2 1.2GHz, 4GB/320GB running Windows 7 Home Edition and AVG Anti-Virus.

I would think this would be something small, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance,
W

Eric SF
08-07-2011, 23:35
Check with Acer to see if there are any video driver updates, sounds like a driver problem.

GAFinch
08-08-2011, 07:07
If it's just online videos, you could try uninstalling Adobe Flash and then re-installing it (with the latest version).

gemeinschaft
08-08-2011, 07:11
If it's just online videos, you could try uninstalling Adobe Flash and then re-installing it (with the latest version).

This is what I would try first.

GIockGuy24
08-09-2011, 15:48
Which browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? Opera? Chromium? Flash Player uses Active X in IE but not in the others.

Gary Davidson
08-15-2011, 08:41
CTL-ALT-DLT has no effect, I end up having to unplug, pull the battery and reboot.
W

You should not have to remove the battery to reboot when your Acer locks up. Try pressing and holding the power button (I believe it is in the upper left hand corner). Hold the power button down until the machine turns off (probably less than 15 seconds).