Dow Down. Global Market poop, Buy ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dow Down. Global Market poop, Buy ammo?

69Charger
08-08-2011, 08:08
With the markets all over the world getting worse by the second, should we start stocking up on our defensive, survival, ammo now?
Dave. :(

Akita
08-08-2011, 08:19
Buy Food.

wjv
08-08-2011, 08:22
This train wreck will take years. . .

mac66
08-08-2011, 08:25
With the markets all over the world getting worse by the second, should we start stocking up on our defensive, survival, ammo now?

Where have you been? You should already be stocked with ammo by now.

The key to being prepared is stocking up on stuff when nothing is going on so you aren't that guy who shows up at the store after the SHTF with all the other sheep.

banger
08-08-2011, 08:36

The key to being prepared is stocking up on stuff when nothing is going on so you aren't that guy who shows up at the store after the SHTF with all the other sheep.

I could not agree more!!!

Those that waited are already too late.

I am sure some will make it under the wire but most will over pay for inferior preps.

69Charger
08-08-2011, 08:43
I'm already good to go on my minimum amount of ammo I feel I could bug out with, just wondering if the market will drive up the price NOW, or if the manufacturers will bump up the price trying to profit off the paranoid?
I am not one of the END IS NEAR kind of people. But was a boy scout.
Dave

kirgi08
08-08-2011, 09:29
My family is running a live practice drill right now,I started athread in the S/P about it.If ammo ect is handy buy as much as you can.'08.

Javelin
08-08-2011, 09:33

:agreed:

It is just not isolated to one market, economy, commodity, etc. It is world-wide.

LongGun1
08-08-2011, 10:10

This...but not just this..

..as ammo is just one facet of self-defense actually!

Self-reliance.....self-sufficiency is what you should be striving for...IMO!

If you are interdependent..

..then you are only as strong as the weak link in your 'circle of dependency'...

..& if it is not apparent by now...

..there are lots of weak links! :whistling:

Bilbo Bagins
08-08-2011, 13:17

Do you have a basic stockpile, as in each gun has a decent supply of ammo, like 100 rounds per firearm? If not it may be a good idea that you have enough gas for every gun you own.

If you already have some ammo for all your guns then I say no. Like Akita said, food is more important right now. Don't buy bean & Rice and Mylar, focus on what you use on a regular basis, that is shelf stable and buy extra.

Buying 1000 rounds and putting it on a credit card is stupidity right now.

Bolster
08-08-2011, 13:59
Seems like the solution here to every market downturn is always "buy more ammo." Bartering aside, what is being over-prepared to kill a lot of hungry and depressed people (which you are extremely unlikely to actually do) going to achieve, when you could be putting that money toward more likely threats?

I'd recommend doing a survey of your basics: is your health good, do you need surgery, dentistry? Doing aerobics and weights? How's your car, does it need a tuneup, parts? Garden, seeds? Prepared to cook/bake your own food? Any needed repairs on your house? Now's the time to get those should-do things crossed off the list. Make yourself and your home a hardened target.

Get involved in community preparedness organizations: your local ham net, neighborhood watch, CERT, whatever. These will help you keep your ear to the ground and prepare for specific likely threats. While a gun solves a few problems extremely well, there are many other problems in hard times that guns won't help you with at all. Shelter, water, food should move to the top of the list.

We still live in a civilization that will quickly take out any non-lawful shooter, and will, for a very long time to come. When you consider the actual probabilities you'll be using large quantities of ammo to defend yourself, you may find your money is better spent elsewhere.

wjv
08-08-2011, 14:18
Good thing Obama addressed the nation today, or else we could have had a real financial disaster on Wall Street!

\sarcasm

cowboy1964
08-08-2011, 14:36
I could not agree more!!!

Those that waited are already too late.

I am sure some will make it under the wire but most will over pay for inferior preps.

Really? So all the stores everywhere are now closed? No one has anything in stock? Online sites are all shut down?

ArmoryDoc
08-08-2011, 14:48

It's already been years. The myth of an accelerated decline became fact in 2008.

TangoFoxtrot
08-08-2011, 15:41
Listen folks it's probably not getting any better, so keep stocking the grub, ammo,fuel, or what ever than lock n load while the sheeple go into panic mode.

PlasticGuy
08-08-2011, 16:38
The stock market is crappy and stocks are cheap. What do I buy? Stocks. Buy low, sell high. The market will recover eventually. Maybe in a few years, or maybe longer, but it will eventually sort itself out.

I guess it would be questionable if I were going to retire next year. With 25 years or so before retirement, I'm dumping money into my 401k like it's a fire sale.

pugman
08-08-2011, 19:03
The stock market is crappy and stocks are cheap. What do I buy? Stocks. Buy low, sell high. The market will recover eventually. Maybe in a few years, or maybe longer, but it will eventually sort itself out.

I guess it would be questionable if I were going to retire next year. With 25 years or so before retirement, I'm dumping money into my 401k like it's a fire sale.

Until the fed seizes it like a fire sale.

Remember, this government is desperate. I'm completely nonpartisan but when the president comes on and says something like "we will always be a AAA nation" (like the average person even knows what that mean) you know its not good.

I think of the Arnold imitator from 2012 when he says "the worst is behind us" than smack..

Objectively, I doubt the federal government as we know it will exist in 25 years...along with social security....401Ks...

wjv
08-08-2011, 21:26
Monday night -

Hang Seng is down 1,335 points (6.54%)
Nikkei is down 403.25 (4.43%)

wrenrj1
08-08-2011, 21:30
I've made this suggestion on a forum or two where the topic is buying gold. I suggested ammo and was shot down (pardon the pun). Try to buy a loaf of bread with an ounce of gold. Ammo like cigarettes can be sub divided and used for bartering!

codecowboy
08-08-2011, 22:22
Until the fed seizes it like a fire sale.
I think of the Arnold imitator from 2012 when he says "the worst is behind us" than smack..

Same part of the movie...."WHEN THEY TELL YOU NOT TO PANIC...THAT'S WHEN YOU RUN!!!!!!"

certifiedfunds
08-08-2011, 22:25
I've made this suggestion on a forum or two where the topic is buying gold. I suggested ammo and was shot down (pardon the pun). Try to buy a loaf of bread with an ounce of gold. Ammo like cigarettes can be sub divided and used for bartering!

Gold for bread. And ONLY gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3LdNxV0yPM

wjv
08-08-2011, 22:52

Do you own any stock?
Savings bonds?
Annuities?

Can't by bread with stocks, bonds or annuities either.

Why would I want your ammo? I have 50K+ rounds already.

Arvinator
08-09-2011, 18:34
Buy a garden hoe, water jug, a shovel, a fishing pole,and see who in your area has rabbits or chickens.
You can plant a garden, store water, bury your human waste, catch fish, and rabbits for meat, chickens for eggs.
Just an example. Think outside the box and ammo is not something you want to trade off to others who may use it against you.
Bread? Learn how to make homemade biscuits/bread.
Milk? Buy bunches of canned or powdered milk.
Water? Store and know how to get more.
Ammo does not cook well, will not feed the hungry kids. Idea of going scrounging for food or taking from others may get YOU shot.
Consider first aid/meds. Consider heat in cold weather, shade in hot weather. Consider where YOU live now, and where YOU will make your home in bad times. Sad to say, most will not be mentally prepared for real hardships or real figthing like in 3rd world countries today.
I keep food, water, and camp stove handy. I know it will last a while, but not forever.

Gotta have a plan...

wrenrj1
08-09-2011, 20:36
Do you own any stock?
Savings bonds?
Annuities?

Can't by bread with stocks, bonds or annuities either.

Why would I want your ammo? I have 50K+ rounds already.

Why yes I do! and i hope to plan on retiring with my portfolio in several years. You may not want or need ammo from me, and if you have what you say, you obviously do because you feel the need to, as I do as well.

Our current economy is not a bartering economy.

j-glock22
08-20-2011, 20:00
Im sorry but ammo as currency? Dont see that happening.

cowboy1964
08-20-2011, 20:10

Yet it's amazing how many people on here think gold will be worthless while bricks of .22 will get you anything you want with bartering.

ghostwn
08-20-2011, 20:38

Better wake up and start thinking outside the box.....:whistling:

TangoFoxtrot
08-21-2011, 04:30
Food, water, guns, ammo, meds, and survival supplies is the best commodity an American can invest in....IMHO

TangoFoxtrot
08-21-2011, 04:34
:agreed:

It is just not isolated to one market, economy, commodity, etc. It is world-wide.

Hmmmm world wars have started for less.

rj1939
08-21-2011, 04:36
All these years of "paper wealth" are coming to an end, the future is all about tangible things.......commodities represent that. Many physical things will reach new status.

kirgi08
08-21-2011, 09:02
I'm sorry but ammo as currency? Don't see that happening.

Do what,If/when this nation reverts ta a barter economy things such as ammo will be a more easily used currency than gold.You wanta ta trade a 1/10oz gold coin for a loaf of bread,how ya gonna get change,silver? Where as a few "rounds" of .22/pick your caliber will be a barter boon.It will be far more market "useful" than pms.Remember not all folks have gold/silver as a hedge in this economy.

As posted above,think outside the box.Diversity is the soul of circumspection in troubled times.'08. :cool:

eracer
08-21-2011, 09:07

I guess it would be questionable if I were going to retire next year. With 25 years or so before retirement, I'm dumping money into my 401k like it's a fire sale.Bingo. I may be guessing wrong, but if I'm not then I'll be enjoying a pleasant retirement, while those of you who bought stock in tinfoil sit in your bathtub ammo fort, cradling your belt-fed 10/22.:rofl:

certifiedfunds
08-21-2011, 12:19
Do what,If/when this nation reverts ta a barter economy things such as ammo will be a more easily used currency than gold.You wanta ta trade a 1/10oz gold coin for a loaf of bread,how ya gonna get change,silver? Where as a few "rounds" of .22/pick your caliber will be a barter boon.It will be far more market "useful" than pms.Remember not all folks have gold/silver as a hedge in this economy.

As posted above,think outside the box.Diversity is the soul of circumspection in troubled times.'08. :cool:

Completely logical post as usual.

One thing to mention, though. Ammo only has value to those with guns.

Now, it can be argued that those without guns won't be around long to barter anyways, so it is a non-issue. :whistling:

certifiedfunds
08-21-2011, 12:21
Bingo. I may be guessing wrong, but if I'm not then I'll be enjoying a pleasant retirement, while those of you who bought stock in tinfoil sit in your bathtub ammo fort, cradling your belt-fed 10/22.:rofl:

Where can I get one of these belt-fed 10/22s?!?!?!?!?!?!

Daddy wants!

LongGun1
08-21-2011, 13:21
Yet it's amazing how many people on here think gold will be worthless while bricks of .22 will get you anything you want with bartering.

I believe I can safely say that I have way more ammo stocked than most individuals.. :whistling:

(maybe some NGOs & really small governments :clown: )

..but I think the probability that ammo will have a better bartering value..

..than gold/silver coins is rather slim in the short-term.

That being said...

If it ever does...then the "S" has really "Hit The Fan"..

..& LG1's "Toys-r-Us-for-Guys" has got you covered! :rofl: :supergrin:

wjv
08-21-2011, 23:41
If it ever does...then the "S" has really "Hit The Fan"..

..& LG1's "Toys-r-Us-for-Guys" has got you covered! :rofl: :supergrin:

How much for your women?

:tongueout:

LongGun1
08-22-2011, 08:15
How much for your women?

:tongueout:

It depends...

...some you pay me..

..some I pay you! :rofl: :supergrin:

wjv
08-22-2011, 10:28
It depends...

...some you pay me..

What's your return policy?

kirgi08
08-22-2011, 11:42
Buyer be ware.'08.

quake
08-22-2011, 11:51
It depends...

...some you pay me..

I might offer you a trade on your daughter - my youngest son is right about her age. I just can't think of anything to offer that you don't already have plenty of... :headscratch:

Then again, might be a bad idea anyway. Based on what you, me, and my sons look like, the grandchildren might be even more freakish yet. Not sure I'd want to be responsible for a resurgance of nephilim in the world...

LongGun1
08-22-2011, 12:34
What's your return policy?

No deposit....

..no return! :whistling:

All sales final! :rofl: :supergrin:

LongGun1
08-22-2011, 12:48
I might offer you a trade on your daughter - my youngest son is right about her age. I just can't think of anything to offer that you don't already have plenty of... :headscratch:

Now that you mention it.. :whistling:

..and now the Charger SBR Project is near completion..

..really have a hankering for a couple of AN/PVS-21 LPNVG to go with them!

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/anpvs-21-lpnvg/

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/images/9230/?400,250,1825262918

Then again, might be a bad idea anyway. Based on what you, me, and my sons look like, the grandchildren might be even more freakish yet. Not sure I'd want to be responsible for a resurgance of nephilim in the world...

Well, if you change your mind..

..here is a pic of my youngest daughter... :shocked:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e5/Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg/220px-Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

Hope your son has a lot of grub in storage... :rofl:

quake
08-22-2011, 13:03
..here is a pic of my youngest daughter... :shocked:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e5/Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg/220px-Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

Hope your son has a lot of grub in storage... :rofl:

If he looked at that pic, I'm sure that "grub" would be the last thing on his mind... :supergrin: (I know it is mine, anyway...)

wrenrj1
08-22-2011, 19:01
Due to Longun1 and wjv's posts, I must go to Youtube for plucky comedy relief, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDXYzUlv0S8

wrenrj1
08-22-2011, 19:02
Due to Longun1 and wjv's posts, I must go to Youtube for plucky comedy relief, enjoy:

Warp
08-22-2011, 19:54
Where have you bee

I got as much ammo as I need before the whole Obama scare. THAT was the time, and everybody in here was telling everybody that would listen to do just that. $5.69/50 9mm anybody?

Of course, I say I have as much as I need but that isn't really true and it's only about 1% as much as I want, but that takes long term practice into consideration.

LongGun1
08-23-2011, 00:02

:rofl: :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
08-23-2011, 09:34
Bingo. I may be guessing wrong, but if I'm not then I'll be enjoying a pleasant retirement...
Preparing for the future does not automatically mean preparing for the worst. There is a very good possibility that given several years, some currency will become stable again (though it could be yen, peso, euro, etc.), and the global economy overall will be back on track. In fact, I'd say that is much more likely than the global collapse that some people here are betting on. That doesn't mean that I don't prepare for things to go wrong, but I bet the bulk of my retirement money on things eventually going right.

If there is a weakness in the preps of a lot of people here, it is that they don't prepare enough for a normal future. I know. I know. Flame suit on. :embarassed:

wjv
08-23-2011, 10:53

:rofl:

I have plenty of ammo. . But I recently discovered that the University of Washington won't accept .22 LR as payment for tuition! :shocked: Which is why I like Gold and Silver. . . So if nothing bad happens in the next 10 years, I can always cash it out for US dollars and use that money to help pay for college for my girls.

wjv
08-23-2011, 11:20
Better wake up and start thinking outside the box.....:whistling:

Sorry, but people who think that ammo will become currency are the once trapped in the box. . The "TSHTF must = Mad Max" box. . .

quake
08-23-2011, 11:42
Sorry, but people who think that ammo will become currency are the once trapped in teh box. . The "TSHTF must = Mad Max" box. . .

Can't help but agree with this. While there seems to be good logic for expecting ammo to be so commonly-bartered as to approach 'currency' status (and lord knows there's been enough shtf stories written where that was the case), I don't know of an actual example in history where that actually happened. World wars, great depression, other (argentina-style) collapse, zimbabwe, whatever 'bad thing' I look at, it just doesn't seem to happen.

Would absolutely not mind being made aware of a situation where it did; learning is a good thing and I'm not above it at all. But having seen zero evidence of it happening historically, makes me think the odds, even if not truly zero, are at least stacked against it.

wjv
08-23-2011, 11:59
Can't help but agree with this.

I'm sure that there would be a some bartering going on where ammo might be used. (neighbor has a garden and a .223 rifle, but only ten rounds of ammo. So you trade him a box or two of .223 for a basket of veggies)

But as a currency. . Nope! Not going to happen. One also has to realize that in the past few years, US gun owners have purchase between 12-14 BILLION rounds of ammo each and every year. This trend started in 2008 when sales of ammo hit 12 billion rounds for the first time. Previously, ammo sales in a "normal" year was 7-9 billion rounds. . And a lot of that ammo it tucked away in basements and attics and garages. For example, I have ~50K+ rounds stashed away (haven't update the count in long time).