Recoil spring stuck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil spring stuck

JudgeRoyBean
08-08-2011, 14:15
Was field stripping my Colt series 70 this morning and can't remove the recoil spring from the guide rod housing. It appears to be stuck at the end of the spring. Anyone got an idea about how to get it out short of stretching it until it straightens out and pulls free? Of course I would have to install a new spring after doing it this way. I wonder if it could have wrapped aroung the guide rod somehow?...........

Anyone ever have this happen?

JGguns
08-08-2011, 14:22
I would use some hoppes (or whatever you got) solvent. If it's not from old oil or fouling I would slip something behind it and pop it loose.

MajorD
08-08-2011, 14:28
pull the slide off and remove it from behind

JudgeRoyBean
08-08-2011, 14:41
I'll try soaking it in some Hoppes then gun oil to make it slippery. Funny I didn't think of that before. Thanks. :wavey:

CMG
08-08-2011, 20:04
Can you rotate the spring?

Usually you can rotate it and pull at the same time and it will work its way off the rod pretty easy.

JudgeRoyBean
08-09-2011, 13:57
I'm not sure what caused it to get stuck in the first place unknown gremlin? I did force the slide back on the frame about twenty times to make sure that it was moving freely. Then field stripped it again. this time the the spring came right out. I recleaned everything again. There was no damage to the spring or guide rod and everything seems to be back to normal after reassembly.

I'm gonna chalk it up to just an old gun that needed to be taken out of the safe and fiddled with a little! :supergrin:

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

Jason D
08-09-2011, 16:54
One end of the spring should be tighter than the other.
It's made to twist on and off the guide rod.