Police gift ideas. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police gift ideas.

wolf19r
08-08-2011, 14:33
One of my friends is a LEO and my brother and his wife wanted to throw in and get him a nice gift for his birthday. We thought about his duty gear and thought maybe a nice knife of pair of cuffs with his initials on them. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

toddmog
08-08-2011, 14:44
What price range? My preference is a gift certificate to OMB since I live close to them. It isn't very personal, but I like to get what I like to get.

collim1
08-08-2011, 15:25
how long has been on the road? When I first started my mother in law got me a Pro-gard seat organizer. It really helped me get organized when I was starting out.

If he has been a LEO for a while he probably has most everything he really needs. I would pick his brain discreetly to see if there is something he needs, or I would get him a gift card.

I love this thing, been using it for years. I prefer it to having a bag in passenger seat. It is more open and easy to locate and grab stuff in a hurry.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/collim1/d2950_Dp.jpg

wolf19r
08-08-2011, 16:17
He has been a LEO for 5 years. We were hoping for something more personal than a gift certificate. But it might be the best idea. The organizer is cool, Ill have to check his cruiser next time I see him.

CitizenOfDreams
08-08-2011, 16:52
A pair of jack boots? :whistling:

collim1
08-08-2011, 17:20
I know you were thinking about a nice knife. IMO I wouldn't bother. I have lost more knives on duty than I can count.

I finally quit carrying a clip knife because it is so easy to snag and pull out when constantly getting in and out of a car.

toddmog
08-08-2011, 17:28
Streamlight Polytac and a 12 pack of Surefire batteries. I'd always take another light.

DaBigBR
08-08-2011, 17:51
Streamlight Polytac and a 12 pack of Surefire batteries. I'd always take another light.

This.

Either the Polytac LED with a pile of batteries and a V70 holster or the Strion LED.

glockurai
08-08-2011, 18:13
How about a nice gear bag?
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-wingman-patrol-bag.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tapagebag.html

Patchman
08-08-2011, 19:09
That's very nice of you guys. How old is he?

I know a gift card/money is so impersonal, but when it comes to equipment/gear, I have my own ideas of what I want.

How about a nice off-duty custom made holster? Ask him if he has any brand/style preference, and when you order it, throw in some exotic finish, like shark skin or elephant skin detailing or something.

Vigilant
08-08-2011, 19:26
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ARGUS-USA-IRON-CLAW-HANDCUFF-SHEATH-/370502202460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5643a6f45c

wolf19r
08-08-2011, 19:42
He's 32 but he doesn't know it most of the time (he's a dad and super active in sports etc) and has a take home car. So his gear is always at reach. I mentioned the knife because his current one is a pos. The flash light would be killer b/c I always get on him about not having one. But he works day shift so he doesn't really have a need for one as much.

DaBigBR
08-08-2011, 19:53
You ALWAYS need a flashlight on your person, even on dayshift...hell, ESPECIALLY on day shift when you're less likely to grab the big light out of the car.

toddmog
08-08-2011, 22:01
You ALWAYS need a flashlight on your person, even on dayshift...hell, ESPECIALLY on day shift when you're less likely to grab the big light out of the car.

+1
I carry a Fenix LD10R4 all day every day. 132 lumens off a single AA battery is fantastic. It also has strobe, SOS, and three other brightness settings...9, 50, & 100 lumens. The only downside is no momentary switch. I've been carrying it daily for 8 months now and have used it far more during the day than at night. I still need the Polytac LED for something between the Fenix and my Stinger LED.

Patchman
08-09-2011, 04:34
The flash light would be killer b/c I always get on him about not having one. But he works day shift so he doesn't really have a need for one as much.

As already said, you ALWAYS need a flashlight.

Hoser423
08-09-2011, 11:06
How bout something thats not "a thing"--- work with the family and force him to have a day for himself--- get tickets/time for something like fishing, car show, baseball game, massage and a nice drink, or whatever old hobby he hasn't had time for. A mental break from work is a huge gift.

msu_grad_121
08-09-2011, 11:15
How bout something thats not "a thing"--- work with the family and force him to have a day for himself--- get tickets/time for something like fishing, car show, baseball game, massage and a nice drink, or whatever old hobby he hasn't had time for. A mental break from work is a huge gift.

Beat me to it. Big +1 here.

wolf19r
08-09-2011, 17:12
I'll run it by the rest. Wow these are some killer ideas we would have never thought about!

wolf19r
08-29-2011, 21:32
We ended up making him a prank gift. "Don't tase me bro" license place that we zip tied to the ram guard so he would see it when he walked out to go on patrol. Its no longer on the car but it was fun and he liked it.