Holster draw angle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster draw angle

NEOH212
08-08-2011, 21:37
Mas, I was wondering about your thoughts and experience with the different draw angles of holsters. Neutral cant vs forward cant. In your experience, what are the pros and cons that you have found with both and is there one that your prefer and why?

My second question about the same:

I currently carry a Sig 229 in a Desantis thumb break scabbard in the forward cant position. I like the forward cant but seem to have a better and faster draw stroke in the neutral (no cant) position. Is the slower draw speed with the forward cant a function of holster design, technique, or both?

As always, Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
08-08-2011, 22:20
Just to make sure we're on the same page of terminology, if the butt is forward and the muzzle back, it's "forward tilt," and if the butt is back and the muzzle forward, it's "forward cant." In "neutral" cant/tilt, muzzle is pointed straight to the ground when the wearer of the holster is standing.

Forward tilt (what you described in your OP), conceals better but is slower UNLESS the shooter tilts upper body slightly forward during the draw. This tends to happen naturally in fight or flight response anyway. It also conceals better, reducing "printing."

I personally carry concealed the same way you do right now, with holster slightly behind the protuberance of the hip, the so-called "3:30 position" if you're right handed. All I can say is, it works for me. You'll find more on this topic in my book, "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry."

best,
Mas

NEOH212
08-08-2011, 22:32
Just to make sure we're on the same page of terminology, if the butt is forward and the muzzle back, it's "forward tilt," and if the butt is back and the muzzle forward, it's "forward cant." In "neutral" cant/tilt, muzzle is pointed straight to the ground when the wearer of the holster is standing.

Forward tilt (what you described in your OP), conceals better but is slower UNLESS the shooter tilts upper body slightly forward during the draw. This tends to happen naturally in fight or flight response anyway. It also conceals better, reducing "printing."

I personally carry concealed the same way you do right now, with holster slightly behind the protuberance of the hip, the so-called "3:30 position" if you're right handed. All I can say is, it works for me. You'll find more on this topic in my book, "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry."

best,
Mas

Thanks Mas, I going to get the book!