1911 reliability. Going without cleaning in specific [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 reliability. Going without cleaning in specific

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 00:49
I know this is subjective and depends on brand and other factors, but how long have you gone without cleaning your 1911 while still maintaining relibility of your pistol without failures?

For the record I clean my 1911 often. Can't say the same for my glock..

So name the type of 1911 and how long you went without cleaning while maintaing shootability.

clancy
08-09-2011, 03:15
Gold Cup, 500 rounds between cleanings (once). No issues.

Remington-Rand, maybe 700 rounds, just to see what would happen. It still shot reliably. I cleaned it anyway.

Taurus PT1911, I can't say, I have never gone more than 200 rounds between cleanings, and have never once had an issue.

Kimber, I can't say as I was never able to get more than a magazine through it without some kind of issue. I cleaned it after each time I tried to shoot it.

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 03:37
Well, I guess I'm going to do a little mini test with my SA Range Officer. Right now it's clean as a well whistle with around 400 rounds already through it. Looks like it's going to be one dead thread until I get back with my report. Depending on how the RO fairs of course.. :D

polizei1
08-09-2011, 05:26
770 rounds and counting. I'll probably stop at a 1,000 just because I haven't cleaned it in so long, and I don't think it will ever malfunction. If it was a gun I only shot at the range, I would test it until it failed, but since it's my carry gun that is not what I want to accomplish. :rofl:

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 05:32
770 rounds and counting. I'll probably stop at a 1,000 just because I haven't cleaned it in so long, and I don't think it will ever malfunction. If it was a gun I only shot at the range, I would test it until it failed, but since it's my carry gun that is not what I want to accomplish. :rofl:
Yeah, that is the only reason which is allowing me to do it because it's my range gun.

faawrenchbndr
08-09-2011, 05:53
When I bought the Les Baer Monolith HW, I fired 660 rounds before I cleaned it.
Ran like a Singer

rsxr22
08-09-2011, 05:56
i took my Wilson CQB to 2000 before I broke it down to clean it. I now field strip it and clean about every 1000 rounds, I'll wipe out the carbon build up from feed ramp and breech face and add a little oil after every match normally

samuse
08-09-2011, 06:17
I shoot mostly WWB, which is pretty clean and regularly go 1000-1500 without cleaning. Just add some CLP every now and then.

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 06:21
Do you guys typically detail strip it once a year? During normal use of course.

samuse
08-09-2011, 06:31

I just detail strip it when I clean it It's not hard and only takes a minute.

What's the point in not?

southernshooter
08-09-2011, 06:53
I just detail strip it when I clean it It's not hard and only takes a minute.

What's the point in not?

I would be embarrassing to show up at the gunsmith's shop with parts in a shoebox.

71Commander
08-09-2011, 07:11
I clean em about every 1,000 rounds. If they don't work dirty, I don't want em.

HAIL CAESAR
08-09-2011, 07:47
I clean then everytime I use them.
When they need it to get out the dust bunnies and french fry pieces.

But I have had SEVERAL 1,000 round sessions and didn't clean them, and a couple of 2k++++ sessions. I suggest people interested in this to do it yourself, it is interesting and eye opening.

FLSlim
08-09-2011, 07:54
Field strip and clean after shooting; I can't break old habits. To me it is just part of the overall experience.

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 08:13
The reason why I started this whole thread is bc somewhere in the back of my mind I have this notion that 1911's need to be "taken care of" unlike glocks. Thus, constantly having to worry if it will jam or have a failure of some sort if I don't clean and maintain it. Someone enlighten me.

FLIPPER 348
08-09-2011, 08:14
I ran a new S&W 1911Sc for 3000+ rounds of Wolf poly with no cleaning and just a spray of CLP before it FTF. The failure was due to poor fitting and cheap parts, not the ammo.

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 08:22
wolf poly? and why do you say poor fitment of the pistol?

rsxr22
08-09-2011, 08:24

There really isnt a science to detail stripping! You can do it often or not. I think Wilson recommends detail stripping every 5k. A lot of companies dont even mention when to detail strip their product.

Quack
08-09-2011, 08:36
I would be embarrassing to show up at the gunsmith's shop with parts in a shoebox.

It would be more embarrassing if you took the 1911 to the smith for a detail cleaning and he gives it back to you in a shoe box.

71Commander
08-09-2011, 08:48
There really isnt a science to detail stripping! You can do it often or not. I think Wilson recommends detail stripping every 5k. A lot of companies dont even mention when to detail strip their product.

I would be more concerned with the firing pin channel. Not worried about the frame.

CMG
08-09-2011, 09:08
The reason why I started this whole thread is bc somewhere in the back of my mind I have this notion that 1911's need to be "taken care of" unlike glocks. Thus, constantly having to worry if it will jam or have a failure of some sort if I don't clean and maintain it. Someone enlighten me.

About 100 years of military service, you can relax. :cool:

brisk21
08-09-2011, 09:21
1911s are alot like AR-15s in that they will run dirty, but need to be lubed. My Mil-spec 1911 has ran VERY filthy just fine. Just keep the barrel and slide lubed and you should be good to go.

skdmrklcy
08-09-2011, 09:21
I think the most I have had though a gun without cleaning is about 500ish. I generally clean them every other range trip, just habit really.

rsxr22
08-09-2011, 10:21
I would be more concerned with the firing pin channel. Not worried about the frame.

Really? Whenever i swab out that channel, I barely get any carbon build up! But i take the slide apart more than i take the gun down, mainly to chip off the carbon from the extractor.

FLIPPER 348
08-09-2011, 10:31
wolf poly? and why do you say poor fitment of the pistol?

yes, Wolf poly

I say poor fitment as the sear was only engaging the hammer 1/2 way, the finger spring was wearing a groove into the sear and the cheap trigger bow was bent/cocked to one side eventually leading to ignition failure.

I swapped out the parts with quality EGW bits and a quality trigger and she was good2go again.

polizei1
08-09-2011, 12:36
It would be more embarrassing if you took the 1911 to the smith for a detail cleaning and he gives it back to you in a shoe box.

Ha, I don't know who said it but someone was talking about having a trigger fit by a "well known pistolsmith" and when he got it back it chain fired half-a-mag. :rofl:

Hokie1911
08-09-2011, 12:37
That's why I only let the ACS handle my baby. :supergrin:

CAcop
08-09-2011, 13:01
I go a couple hundred rounds between cleanings at least. I will add lube after every range session for the most part. When I do clean I toss the barrel in the ultra sonic cleaner we have at work. I will wipe down the rails.

By policy our guns get detail stripped yearly but it is reall uneventful. We could go longer if needed. Or even never if we cleaned them a certain way.

TxGlock9
08-09-2011, 18:26
About 100 years of military service, you can relax. :cool:
Haha, I just fell under the notion of being over concerned. It is time to relax..
1911s are alot like AR-15s in that they will run dirty, but need to be lubed. My Mil-spec 1911 has ran VERY filthy just fine. Just keep the barrel and slide lubed and you should be good to go.

thanks.

RCP
08-09-2011, 22:16
Gold Cup, 500 rounds between cleanings (once). No issues.

Remington-Rand, maybe 700 rounds, just to see what would happen. It still shot reliably. I cleaned it anyway.

Taurus PT1911, I can't say, I have never gone more than 200 rounds between cleanings, and have never once had an issue.

Kimber, I can't say as I was never able to get more than a magazine through it without some kind of issue. I cleaned it after each time I tried to shoot it.

Guess I've been lucky, have fed my newly acquired Kimber 250rds of WWB, 100rds of Tula, and 250rds of random reloads and have not had any issues so far.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/4heins/4462421d.jpg

CDW4ME
08-10-2011, 04:47
Field strip and clean after shooting.

This is my SOP. ^

However, even when I intend to shoot 200 rounds (like during break-in) I'll stop at 100 and clean it, although I have stopped after 50-75.

If the pistol malfunctions I do not want to think it was because it was dirty; I want a to know it's due to another reason that can be eliminated / fixed (weak magazine spring, ammo...)

It (OCD cleaning) seems reasonable to me since I only carry the pistol + one extra magazine; in a SD situation I'll "only" have 15 rounds available.

If I only shot the ammo in the magazine (to check function) and that was it, end of session, the pistol would get cleaned.

cjl_1775
08-10-2011, 06:18
I typically go somewhere in the 500-750 round count area.
I do know someone who took a Wilson KZ to over 4000 and was very upset when the gunsmith he took it to for work, had cleaned it, his next line was "I have to start all over again". The work was for a new front sight not any kind of function or action work.

Feanor
08-10-2011, 13:48
I clean my pistols everytime I use them, as a matter of fact I clean them once a month regardless of use! I know my 1911's will run dirty, just as I know my Glock's will run dirty, however why tempt fate?

Jim S.
08-10-2011, 16:49
A good soldier keeps the tools of his trade clean and in good working order.
If a soldier in combat can take the time to service his weapon then why would we not do the same?
We don't have the time?
Too much trouble?
Have too many other things to do?
I understand the thought behind the "torture tests", but it is a good habit to keep a gun clean and in good working order.
The U.S. of M.C. ingrained that in me!!!
OOHRAH.

collim1
08-10-2011, 22:44
I was having alot of stovepipes with a SA GI a few years ago. I started lubing with grease and picked up some Wilson 47D and the problems went away.

After that I decided not to clean it until it started having problems just to build a little confidence in the gun. I shot it close to 1k rounds with no problems and no cleaning. I did add a dab of grease to the rails every couple of hundred rounds when the rails started looking dry.

Generally I clean all of my guns after shooting, it just habit. The only execption are my .22's. I dont ever clean them unless I notice some surface rust or they start to jam.

BuckyP
08-11-2011, 05:39
Generally I clean all of my guns after shooting, it just habit. The only execption are my .22's. I dont ever clean them unless I notice some surface rust or they start to jam.

Hmm, just the opposite here. I typically don't clean my range or competition guns unless a big match is upcoming or the round count is getting high. My .22s I clean after each use, as .22 ammo is filthy. Any gun that is "relied" upon gets cleaned after each use as well. Oh, the revolvers get cleaned more frequently as well.

PlasticGuy
08-11-2011, 10:14
I clean most of my guns after every range session. I do take a lot of high round count classes though, so I have put 500-1000 rounds through several of my 1911's between cleaning. My Baer Premier II and my Kimber Stainless (series one) have both been past 1000 rounds without a malfunction.

MajorD
08-11-2011, 13:10
never in thousands of rounds (probably tens of thousands) have never seen a need to detail strip my 1911. I shoot a bullseye league where we are required to shoot lead bullets due to backstop issues, and only clean my bullseye gun every 500 rounds or so with no issues. and before you ask I have no problem taking said bullseye gun (les baer premier 2 with 1.5 inch package) and loading it up and carrying it too. Even with the 1.5 package it simply never fails even when dirty.

CMG
08-11-2011, 15:46
A good soldier keeps the tools of his trade clean and in good working order.
If a soldier in combat can take the time to service his weapon then why would we not do the same?
We don't have the time?
Too much trouble?
Have too many other things to do?
I understand the thought behind the "torture tests", but it is a good habit to keep a gun clean and in good working order.
The U.S. of M.C. ingrained that in me!!!
OOHRAH.

I grew up with a (Korea, Cuba, Viet Nam era) Marine Corps DI / AIT instructor for a father (thank the gods).

I keep my guns clean as well. :supergrin:

limbkiller
08-11-2011, 16:39
I grew up with a (Korea, Cuba, Viet Nam era) Marine Corps DI / AIT instructor for a father (thank the gods).

I keep my guns clean as well. :supergrin:
SEMPER FI :usmc: