BUG revolver: exposed hammer, shrouded, or concealed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BUG revolver: exposed hammer, shrouded, or concealed?

sharpshooter
08-09-2011, 02:59
What are your thoughts on the different hammer options for S&W J-frame type revolvers? (never owned a J-frame before but will soon)

Exposed "looks" better and is easier to cock the hammer. Could possibly hang up on a draw from a pocket etc. Is that really a concern or a made up one?

Internal or concealed is the smallest and is probably the easiest to retrieve from a pocket. Can't cock the hammer at all. DA only.

Shrouded is probably a mix of both but looks odd, humpback. At least you have the option to cock the hammer for a head shot etc when you need accuracy.

TreverSlyFox
08-09-2011, 04:46
Exposed "looks" better and is easier to cock the hammer. Could possibly hang up on a draw from a pocket etc. Is that really a concern or a made up one?

Don't know if it's a "made up one" or not but I still carry an "exposed hammer" snubby every day "pocket carry". Good old Steel framed .357mag Taurus 605 and never had the hammer catch anything on the draw. But I've also trained myself to draw with my thumb ON the hammer so it's pretty unlikely anything can catch on the hammer, which is the point.

If you spend the time to practice your draw it shouldn't really matter what model you carry, muscle memory should take over if you have it down pat. Thumb on the hammer and there isn't much left to catch on. YMMV

PS: If you don't want to take the time to train or it really bothers you that much buy a Shrouded Hammer model and forget it.

MeefZah
08-09-2011, 05:19
Concealed (as in 442 / 642), in part to keep pocket crap from getting in the action. It also makes the draw much easier. Of the three, I also prefer the look of the concealed. The DA only is no issue, you can stage the trigger pretty easily for accuracy.

Bruce M
08-09-2011, 05:58
I prefer a J frame with a hammer and by policy always use a holster with a thrumb break.

Agent6-3/8
08-09-2011, 06:04
Internal or shrouded for me.

My J-frame is a 442. I would have been tempted to buy a 438 instead if S&W would make them without the lock.

Kadetklapp
08-09-2011, 06:22
I prefer my exposed hammer on my Rossi 461 .357 snubby. I've had it since '03 and carry it IWB with no issues.

alwaysshootin
08-09-2011, 06:39
Concealed (as in 442 / 642), in part to keep pocket crap from getting in the action. It also makes the draw much easier. Of the three, I also prefer the look of the concealed. The DA only is no issue, you can stage the trigger pretty easily for accuracy.

This! Believe it! Ever carried an old fashioned pocket knife? How bad was the pocket lint after a day or two of carry? 442/642, look no farther!:cool:

collim1
08-09-2011, 08:11
I carry a 442 which is a concealed hammer model. I think the shrouded hammer would be okay also. I do not care for the exposed hammer on the jframes.

3Speedyfish3
08-09-2011, 08:41
S&W 442 daily. I have two beautiful Colt Cobras, but I hate the idea of putting the ugly shroud on them to cover the hammer.

krathis
08-09-2011, 17:59
J Frame S&W 442 for years. Recently bought a Keltec PF9 but still prefer the J-frame.

Davidkxx
08-09-2011, 18:23
I carry internals or shrouded. In cold weather I have one in each outer coat pocket. The lack of exposed hammer allows me to shoot through the pocket if needed. The fastest draw is no draw!

Arvinator
08-09-2011, 18:24
For years, I wore my S&W Model 60 with exposed hammer in a ankle holster, with the thumb break snap. I also wore a S&W Model 642 strapped to my body armor panels and a "Hidden" backup.
Today, I still wear the Model 642, and Model 38 "Bodyguard" with the hump back in my rear pocket in a pocket holster.
While I will always really like my model 60, I like the Models 38 and 642 for quicker draw with less chance of a hammer snag. I also do all my revovler shooting double action, and I wear holsters toady that are molded fit and do not require a thumb snap. IF a policy requires it, I bet you could find one that would work with a "Hammerless" snubbie.
I have worn a snubbie for over 20 years, they are excellent little backup guns. Good luck on yours!

Glockwork Orange
08-09-2011, 18:28
I prefer the shrouded...I carry a 638...like to have the option of a SA shot...it boils down to personal preference...

DonGlock26
08-09-2011, 18:59
IMHO- Go concealed hammer- 442 or 642. I prefer the black 442. Pockets are lint-filled places. The hammer-less design (it's actually hidden the gun) keeps the lint out of the action.

_

blueiron
08-09-2011, 19:09
I carried both a shrouded Model 38 for years and switched to a Centennial Model 640. I liked them both, but the single action capability of the shrouded models is a bit overstated. It is designed for short range engagements, not for 25 yards.

If you pocket carry it, you must NEVER put coins in the same pocket as the holstered gun. A coin can slip into the slotted hammer-track and prevent the revolver from firing.

MeefZah
08-09-2011, 22:25
I carried both a shrouded Model 38 for years and switched to a Centennial Model 640. I liked them both, but the single action capability of the shrouded models is a bit overstated. It is designed for short range engagements, not for 25 yards.

If you pocket carry it, you must NEVER put coins in the same pocket as the holstered gun. A coin can slip into the slotted hammer-track and prevent the revolver from firing.

Good advice is to never carry anything in the same pocket as your gun.

DaBigBR
08-09-2011, 23:19
For a BUG, in order of preference:
1) Internal (Centennial)
2) Shrouded (Bodyguard)
3) Exposed (? Chief's Special ?)

I know one guy that opts for the bodyguard type hammer because the frame on the centennials (42, 442, 642, 340PD, etc) beats the hell out of one of his knuckles.

CAcop
08-10-2011, 07:49

He said everything I was going to say.

The exposed hammer is better if you are going to carry it on a belt holster or shoulder holster with a thumbsnap.

SCSU74
08-10-2011, 11:15
i carry a 637 (Chief's special, exposed hammer) and really like it. I have no issues drawing it and have never had an issue with the hammer snagging. On duty i carry it in an uncle mikes vest holster. Off-duty i use a blackhawk size 0 pocket holster. I like being able to shoot the gun in single action as the double action in these guns is brutal. just my 2 cents.

Glock21Owner
08-10-2011, 15:43
I've been carrying a S&W Model 49 for almost 20 years, highly recommend one

Goldstar225
08-11-2011, 21:24
I prefer the enclosed hammer (S&W 442/642). Zero chance to snag on the draw or have something block the hammer and if you have the room to pull the trigger, it can be fired from inside a pocket.

nitesite10mm
08-11-2011, 22:26
I prefer the enclosed hammer (S&W 442/642). Zero chance to snag on the draw or have something block the hammer and if you have the room to pull the trigger, it can be fired from inside a pocket.

Not only fired one time from inside a pocket, but you can completely empty the cylinder without hangups from inside a pocket if you want to.

My vote is a 442 Airweight Centennial. No less accurate than the other J-frames but Oh So Handy.

David Armstrong
08-12-2011, 09:57
I've carried all three versions at one time or another and have ended up going with the concealed version, a 642 specifically.

ray9898
08-12-2011, 10:15
I prefer a regular hammer but I don't carry a snubby in a pocket either. I always holster it. I have other guns when I am looking for pocket carry.

BamaTrooper
08-12-2011, 12:24
I have carried both versions. I prefer concealed hammer (442) for IWB and pocket carry.

If I am down to a 1 5/8" barreled 5 shot revolver, the shooting is close range and quick, I wouldn't be cocking the hammer. That said, if you ever needed to cock it since you only have 5 rounds, exposed would be much easier.

fla2760
08-12-2011, 15:28
When I was on the job I carried a model 36 in an ankle holster and a model 49 in my left pocket,I am right handed, my duty gun was the smith model 10. I now carry a 642 with the CT LG-105 grips as a BUG to my G27 or G22.

mikegun
08-12-2011, 18:14
I carried a chiefs spec off and on for over 20yrs, in my uni pants back pocket,which was reinforced with leather, great as i would switch the gun to the pocket of my leather jacket, while making a shaky stop at night and kept my hand on it.....great confidence builder that way....cant do that with an auto...

fla2760
08-12-2011, 21:20
Here is a nice site for snubby fans.

http://www.snubnose.info/

Ajon412
08-13-2011, 13:35

+ 1 for the S&W 640 Centennial.....I pick up one of those up a while back and just love it. It's great for pocket carry / BUG. I also use a Charter Arms 44 Special DAO that's used for pocket carry as well....