Inexpensive sunglasses? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive sunglasses?

WooleyBooger
08-09-2011, 13:10
I just rotated to day shift...in the middle of this ridiculously hot summer. Anyway, my eyes are pretty light sensitive and I HAVE to keep sunglasses on while on duty.

I've got some oakley's but am sortof afraid I'll break or lose them. Any of y'all know of some decent but inexpensive (and dark) sunglasses that I might check out?

Napalm561
08-09-2011, 13:20
I wear PUGS. They look decent, have different styles, and if they get broken, for any reason, return them to the store you purchased them, and they will replce them on the spot, for the same or a different style. Plus, they're cheap.....like $12.

msu_grad_121
08-09-2011, 13:31
I can relate, I've got pretty sensative eyes too. When I'm out biking, I wear Tifosi's. Tough as nails, interchangeable leses, and pretty cheap. I found mine at a bike store for $20 or $25.

mrsurfboard
08-09-2011, 13:37
Don't take chances with you eyes. Oakleys are expensive for a reason, the lenses protect your eyes from the damaging uv radiation of the sun and give you excellent optical clarity. Cheap sunglasses often do not block or do so poorly. Oakley is also pretty good with replacing lenses should they break.

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO
08-09-2011, 13:58
I've had all kinds expensive Oakleys, WileyX, 5.11 and so on....but been I have been useing el-cheap-o's on duty from k-mart they are dark and polorized and only $15.00..... I bought 2 pairs but still on first pair a year and half later.

If you want cheaper Oakleys get them from usstandardissue they are about 50% off for military and LEO's and such!

collim1
08-09-2011, 14:08
Don't take chances with you eyes. Oakleys are expensive for a reason, the lenses protect your eyes from the damaging uv radiation of the sun and give you excellent optical clarity. Cheap sunglasses often do not block or do so poorly. Oakley is also pretty good with replacing lenses should they break.

I agree, I cant stand cheap sunglasses. Check some pawn shops, I just picked up a pair of polarized Maui Jims for $50 to wear at work.

Not only do cheap sunglasses suck, but you dont take care of them like a decent pair so you end up losing them.

Hummerbike
08-09-2011, 14:09
Costco has polorized glasses in two or three styles for around $28.00.

rudeboy3
08-09-2011, 14:57
OP you know about Oakley's SI program right? Great deals for Police, Fire, Military, etc..

dreis454
08-09-2011, 15:01
Being blind in one eye mean that I never skimp on sunglasses.
I have 4 pair of Oakleys one in each car & a spare.

Small price to pay keeping my one working eye safe.

DaBigBR
08-09-2011, 15:37
http://www.usstandardissue.com

I've had my polarized Half-Jackets for three or three and a half years and they're still going strong. I do NOT take care of them at all, either. They've fallen off the dash and been stepped on, cleaned with crappy cleaner and cloth, left in all sorts of weather, and just keep going. It's getting to be time for some new lenses, but they're still perfectly usable. I think I paid $60 or $75 for them.

Hack
08-09-2011, 16:23
Since I have to wear prescription lenses I look for several things; wear-ability, durability; sensibility concerning style; utility; and how good will they protect my eyes. Oakley is one of the good ones concerning that. They have a very good product which is one reason why they are not cheap in price. Also, if you can find for yourself some US military standard issue sunglasses you will find that they are very durable as well, such as American Optics. I know a little about American Optics for prescription glasses in the military but part of the time I wore the typical military issue that were durable, but lacked aesthetic appeal. Now there are more options, even in theatre. The last URL is only for information purposes.

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-buy-sunglasses-guide.html

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/JulAug07/battle_vision.html

alabaster
08-09-2011, 16:25
Locs.

rookie1
08-09-2011, 17:41

I've had my polarized Half-Jackets for three or three and a half years and they're still going strong. I do NOT take care of them at all, either. They've fallen off the dash and been stepped on, cleaned with crappy cleaner and cloth, left in all sorts of weather, and just keep going. It's getting to be time for some new lenses, but they're still perfectly usable. I think I paid $60 or $75 for them.

I stepped on his and thought they were totaled. He put them back together. I find them made to come apart under pressure and handle the abuse that we give them. You might scratch a lens but even that is fixed with $30-$40.

Cochese
08-09-2011, 17:44
Locs.

:rofl:

I dare you to employ a new avatar.

http://www.fullspectrumeyewear.com/cholos%20maddoggers%20gangsta.jpg

Cochese
08-09-2011, 17:47
Since I have to wear prescription lenses I look for several things; wear-ability, durability; sensibility concerning style; utility; and how good will they protect my eyes. Oakley is one of the good ones concerning that. They have a very good product which is one reason why they are not cheap in price. Also, if you can find for yourself some US military standard issue sunglasses you will find that they are very durable as well, such as American Optics. I know a little about American Optics for prescription glasses in the military but part of the time I wore the typical military issue that were durable, but lacked aesthetic appeal. Now there are more options, even in theatre. The last URL is only for information purposes.

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-buy-sunglasses-guide.html

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/JulAug07/battle_vision.html

I switch between several pairs of USSI Fives 3.0, Gascan S, and AO Pilots in silver (my Jack Bauer editions)

http://images2.eyewearplanet.com/640-640/opplanet-ao-original-pilot-52mm-silver.jpg

Hack
08-09-2011, 18:02
http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/o_tiwhisker_pwtrblk_08.jpg

I have these with transitions lenses, (since they are prescription).

Oakley.

txleapd
08-09-2011, 18:05
This debate comes up more often than 9mm vs 45 ACP.

I've broken or lost a lot of sunglasses, so I go for inexpensive. As far as I know, polarized and 100% UV protection means just that. I'm not aware of any process that makes one brands polarization or 100% UV protection better than another's. If someone wants to pay for Oakley or WileyX, more power to them.

I've also heard some people brag that their X brand sunglasses will stop a 22 cal or birdshot. Okay... I don't really plan on putting that to a test.

I know a number of guys who wear shaded shooting glasses, that are polarized with 100% UV protection. You can usually find a decent pair of those for $20-$30.

At the end of the day, get what you want. There are two schools of thought on the issue, so just decide which one you're in and go with it.

jacquejet
08-09-2011, 19:48
http://www.amazon.com/JiMarti-Falcon-Sunglasses-Gunmetal-Frame/dp/B002MRQD9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312940773&sr=1-1

I have used these. Descent price, fit good. Obviously not Oakley's but if you are looking for an off brand, these are pretty good.

alabaster
08-09-2011, 20:17
:rofl:

I dare you to employ a new avatar.

http://www.fullspectrumeyewear.com/cholos%20maddoggers%20gangsta.jpg

Ahhhh, Eazy. One of my personal faves!:cool: I've been getting a lot of commentary on the avie lately. It seems Pun is too cliche' or something. Okay, Ima change it. But not to Eazy-E......Yet

dorkweed
08-09-2011, 20:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Png-PC0ews

alabaster
08-09-2011, 20:28
Hip-Hop is dead. That guy and SouljaBoy killed it.

Tilley
08-09-2011, 22:42
Bought some old school RayBan's here and am very happy with them. Same lenses and good quality...plus there were like $15 dollars! The public hates to see a macho-cop cry like a baby cuz he lost/broke his $100 RayBan's...

http://www.thesunglassmanonline.com/

DaBigBR
08-09-2011, 23:22
I stepped on his and thought they were totaled. He put them back together. I find them made to come apart under pressure and handle the abuse that we give them. You might scratch a lens but even that is fixed with $30-$40.

That WAS you...couldn't remember who did. As I recall that was both arms, both lenses, and both nosepieces...stepping on them was one thing, grinding them in the floor mat was just cruel. I've done it again since then. Actually popped an arm off tonight when I sat down on them. Can't bust the damned things.

buddah
08-10-2011, 05:54
I swear by oakleys. Been using them on the range, on duty, off duty. Can't go wrong w/usstandardissue.com pricing. But if you want cheaper go to lapolicegear.com and look up the bobster glasses around $20

SCSU74
08-10-2011, 11:21

i have the flak jacket XLJ's which are basically the same glasses. They come with a hard case and when not in use i just leave them in patrol bag. They are very durable and are great for hot climates, the rubber on the side of these really keep the glasses in place. Standardissue has great prices. If you want to go cheaper i have a pair of the Oakley Gascan's that i paid $35 for on SI. These glasses are also great, but slip off a bit easier because they don't have the rubber on the side.

RexKramer
08-10-2011, 13:36
One suggestion for finding cheap sunglasses is the safety glasses at Lowes/Home Depot/Menards (not sure what stores are near you). A decent home improvement or hardware store should have dark safety sunglasses.

I'm not LEO, but if you wear any glasses, I would at least consider protecting your eyes. Safety glasses would fit the bill nicely.

If you don't go with a ANSI certified pair of safety sunglasses, the next best thing is to go with lenses constructed of polycarbonate. I believe Oakleys are still polycarbonate. Many models of RayBans are even poly lenses now, that's what I wear.

Lenses constructed of glass are the worst choice for protection.

As for polarized, to each their own. They reduce glare. However, they produce odd effects when looking through some window materials and at computer displays. I am a pilot, and some of the displays are completely black through polarized lenses, and we get a psychedelic image when we try to look through the windshield with them. Needless to say, I never wear polarized lenses.

If you spend much time on or near water, you will probably benefit greatly from polarized lenses, and won't mind the strange effects through some materials and computer displays.

If your department doesn't reimburse you for glasses damaged on the job, then you really can't be put down for wanting inexpensive sunglasses.

I worked in optics in a previous life..

scottydl
08-10-2011, 17:50
I have enough crap to keep track of on duty (and enough other things to spend money on), the last thing I want to worry about is my sunglasses. Most cheap sunglasses have THE SAME UVA/UVB PROTECTION as expensive ones.

I used to spend $12-15 but now my new price point is $3-5 ... maybe $7 tops if they are the perfect shape for me. I don't buy sunglasses that are any more expensive than that, in fact one of my recent pairs I picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents! I'm fairly particular about shape too, as a lot of typical wrap-around designs are too wide for my face. I lose/break maybe 1 pair per year, so at an average of $5 each that's a WHOLE lot of savings over some Oakleys (even at the LE discount).

P.S. This time of year (end of summer) is a great time to get clearance prices on cheapo sunglasses at Wal-mart and similar stores. $3-5 price tags are quite common and I plan on pickup up a "backup" pair this week.

Patchman
08-11-2011, 05:08
One suggestion for finding cheap sunglasses is the safety glasses at Lowes/Home Depot/Menards (not sure what stores are near you). A decent home improvement or hardware store should have dark safety sunglasses.

I'm not LEO, but if you wear any glasses, I would at least consider protecting your eyes. Safety glasses would fit the bill nicely.

If you don't go with a ANSI certified pair of safety sunglasses, the next best thing is to go with lenses constructed of polycarbonate. I believe Oakleys are still polycarbonate. Many models of RayBans are even poly lenses now, that's what I wear.

Lenses constructed of glass are the worst choice for protection.

As for polarized, to each their own. They reduce glare. However, they produce odd effects when looking through some window materials and at computer displays. I am a pilot, and some of the displays are completely black through polarized lenses, and we get a psychedelic image when we try to look through the windshield with them. Needless to say, I never wear polarized lenses.

If you spend much time on or near water, you will probably benefit greatly from polarized lenses, and won't mind the strange effects through some materials and computer displays.

I worked in optics in a previous life..

Yeah, it shows. :)

So are all polycarbonate lenses created equal? Seems to me that some of the high end "tactical" eyewear products imply their polycarbonate lens are better.

I keep two pairs of construction safety glasses with my riot gear.

I miss my RayBan Wayfarers in real glass.

beatcop
08-11-2011, 18:58
Stihl chainsaw dealer has a line of safety sun glasses...I like them...especially for $10

-look for small writing saying something like z87.1 It's a safety spec for protective eyewear. Do not buy without to reduce the risk of the glasses turning into shrapnell.

xcrewman
08-11-2011, 20:19
Sign up for WWW.PROMOTIVE.COM, you'll find NATIVE, 7EYE & many other items under PRO DEALS.

all you need is a G-mail.

x

RexKramer
08-12-2011, 10:44
Yeah, it shows. :)

So are all polycarbonate lenses created equal? Seems to me that some of the high end "tactical" eyewear products imply their polycarbonate lens are better.

I keep two pairs of construction safety glasses with my riot gear.

The material itself is the same. All polycarbonate lenses offer excellent UV protection, and shatter resistance.

Here are some differences you will find.

Polycarbonate (all) is very soft, and scratches easily. Poly lenses are coated to make them scratch resistant. The quality of this coating varies. Even expensive poly lenses will scratch if cleaned improperly. One argument for just going with cheaper lenses and replacing as needed.

Some differences that make glasses "safety"- usually they are thicker lenses. The real determiner, however, is how great of an impact the lenses will withstand before failing. Poly lenses are very impact resistant, and a super thick lens is not required for good impact resistance. Plastic lenses require greater thickness than poly to achieve the same level. Glass lenses also require more thickness to offer adequate shatter resistance.

Polycarbonate happens to be one of the lightest optical materials available.

A very important consideration that makes glasses "safety" is the frame design. Safety glasses are designed to prevent a lens from becoming dislodged and traveling rearward into your eye. On frames with removable lenses, the safety frame will actually spit the lens out away from your face if it is struck hard enough to dislodge the lens.

Another difference you may see is the quality or clearness through the lens. Applying tints and coatings to lenses can produce inferior optical qualities. If you are doing competition shooting, this may be a factor. For every day duty glasses, I don't think expensive glasses are going to help much. Just get some you find comfortable and will wear.

RexKramer
08-12-2011, 10:59
This will cost more money, but I also highly highly suggest anti-reflective (AR) coatings, especially on clear lenses like in prescription glasses or clear safety glasses.

AR coated lenses reduce strange glare effects through glasses, especially at night or in harsh lighting conditions.

What happens in non coated lenses (or car windshields etc.) is there are two surfaces, the back and front, of the lens. Light enters the front of the lens. Most of the light then exits the back of the lens and continues on it's way. However, some of the light gets reflected off the back of the lens, and heads back to the front, and bounces back to your eye, but in a different axis than the original light source was. So headlights at night cause strange effects through non AR coated lenses.

If y'all have trouble with this at night through your glasses, consider trying an anti reflective coating on your next set of lenses. A good AR coating costs more, so it will hurt more if they get lost or damaged on the job, but they really do help with lights at night.

Early AR coatings were very fragile, and easy to damage. But current AR coatings are very durable.

Sorry, this was a little off topic, the OP was looking for inexpensive sunglasses.

RexKramer
08-12-2011, 11:08
One last tip. Safety gear (glasses) are like your weapon in that they will only help you if you wear them. If they are in your glove box, they won't help you.

This is a good argument for getting cheap sunglasses. If you are working, and think 'gee, this lady looks unstable, she might try to poke me in the eye. I better leave my $300 sunglasses in the car...', well now when she tries to poke you in the eye it might hurt. If you are wearing your $4 sunglasses from MegaLoMart she's gonna have a harder time poking your eye out.

Just my two cents worth. I'm a fan of nice expensive sunglasses, but I don't wear expensive stuff when I'm working in the field or shop, where my expensive stuff is likely to get damaged quickly.

RexKramer
08-12-2011, 11:16

Yeah, I used to get the Baloramas with glass lenses. They were heavier, but the tints used to be way better in the glass, for sure. Plus, glass is very hard, which makes it extremely scratch resistant. Also makes it brittle and likely to shatter, but they were sweet lenses for sure.

Been out of the business for a while. Are they now putting poly lenses in Wayfarers? Geez, that's like blasphemy, altering a cultural icon like the Wayfarer.

Agent6-3/8
08-12-2011, 13:10
I've got a pair of Foster Grants from tractor supply that I wear for dirty work. They were plenty cheap, but the lense quality is vastly inferior to my Maui Jim sunglasses. To me, its hightly noticable. One of these days I'll get around to replacing them with Oakley's or Wiley-X's.

Personally, cost is a secondary factor to the quality of my gear. Though its frustrating, breaking stuff is just the cost of doing business in LE. I'm always happy to spend less money if a product delivers the same performance as a more expensive counterpart, but that's not often the case.

Patchman
08-12-2011, 17:58
The material itself is the same. All polycarbonate lenses offer excellent UV protection, and shatter resistance.

Here are some differences you will find.

Polycarbonate (all) is very soft, and scratches easily. Poly lenses are coated to make them scratch resistant. The quality of this coating varies. Even expensive poly lenses will scratch if cleaned improperly. One argument for just going with cheaper lenses and replacing as needed.

Some differences that make glasses "safety"- usually they are thicker lenses. The real determiner, however, is how great of an impact the lenses will withstand before failing. Poly lenses are very impact resistant, and a super thick lens is not required for good impact resistance. Plastic lenses require greater thickness than poly to achieve the same level. Glass lenses also require more thickness to offer adequate shatter resistance.

Polycarbonate happens to be one of the lightest optical materials available.

A very important consideration that makes glasses "safety" is the frame design. Safety glasses are designed to prevent a lens from becoming dislodged and traveling rearward into your eye. On frames with removable lenses, the safety frame will actually spit the lens out away from your face if it is struck hard enough to dislodge the lens.

Another difference you may see is the quality or clearness through the lens. Applying tints and coatings to lenses can produce inferior optical qualities. If you are doing competition shooting, this may be a factor. For every day duty glasses, I don't think expensive glasses are going to help much. Just get some you find comfortable and will wear.

Thanks for the quick lesson.

I didn't knew safety glasses designed their lenses to break away from the eyes. And I didn't know there was a difference between plastic and polycarbonate lenses. I thought they were the same.

Thanks again.

Hack
08-12-2011, 20:49
Thanks for the quick lesson.

I didn't knew safety glasses designed their lenses to break away from the eyes. And I didn't know there was a difference between plastic and polycarbonate lenses. I thought they were the same.

Thanks again.

I never use plain plastic lenses. Polycarbonate is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to eye protection.