Knife defense against flash mob [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife defense against flash mob

jack76590
08-09-2011, 17:10
Mas,

A lot of threads on flash mobs. I do not believe anyone has addressed the potential superiority of a knife over a gun for self defense against flash mob.

Specifically, a knife is more target specific and not going to harm someone in the rear of mob. Since your reach is limited you don't have to prove the attacker was close. May still have to prove he and increasingly she was in fact an attacker, however.

Then there is question of whether people fear a blade more than a gun and if a cut causes more blood than a gun and better deters further attacks.

I am sure I have missed many points, and would appreciate your general reaction. And of course what knives are best for this task, how to train, carry, etc.

And I agree best to avoid completely, but as others have pointed out, this is not always possible, unless one becomes a monk, as these attacks are increasingly in center city shopping areas.

Jack

Mas Ayoob
08-09-2011, 23:10
Jack, I'd have to recommend against the knife if you had a more remote control option. By definition, the knife is a contact weapon. With a mob situation,it's not just multiple opponents simultaneously, it's MANY opponents simultaneously, and you've only got one knife while they're on top of you.

Plan A: Evade and escape.

Plan B: Stop the threat from as much distance as possible, with remote control equipment such as the firearm.

Just one other guy's take on it,

Mas