Mac Mini hard drive crash [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini hard drive crash

Fanner50
08-09-2011, 21:45
I hardly ever post in this forum but I wanted to let you guys know about my experience with my Mac Mini that is one year and two weeks old. The hard drive crashed. I've been having problems with the computer booting up but I thought I had a virus or malware or something. I finally took it in and it was the hard drive. One year and two weeks old and the hard drive craps out.
Unbelievable, what a piece of crap. Thank God I have Apple Care, the extended warranty that Apple offers. I thought I would be wasting my money getting the extended warranty, but it just paid for itself today. The repair guy said that computers today are built so cheap that you should always get the extended warranty. BTW, he said the hard drive was a Toshiba drive. My faith in Apple has been Seriously undermined. :crying:

GotGlock1917
08-09-2011, 22:11
Sometimes you just get a bad one.
I had a 500gb HDD go bad in a two month old Dell. I don't recall the make but I think it was a Toshiba.

Here at work we have had several mac minis run for years and years without issue.

CitizenOfDreams
08-09-2011, 23:25
How much did you pay for that extended warranty? A brand new 500-750GB hard drive is about 40-50 bucks these days.

IndyGunFreak
08-10-2011, 01:28
How much did you pay for that extended warranty? A brand new 500-750GB hard drive is about 40-50 bucks these days.

:agree:

Not to mention, had you taken it in when you started having problems, they'd have likely replaced the hard drive under the standard warranty.

Detectorist
08-10-2011, 10:33
I say impossible. Apple computers never go bad.

glockfan5
08-10-2011, 13:41
Why aren't you mad at Toshiba?

GAFinch
08-10-2011, 15:52
I've seen issues pop up on Macs that Apple has refused to acknowledge, but this is most likely a random drive failure that does happen...that's why it's so important to keep multiple backups. Just to play it safe, though, I would download a utility that monitors fans to make sure one of them isn't malfunctioning.

Fanner50
08-10-2011, 16:57
I've seen issues pop up on Macs that Apple has refused to acknowledge, but this is most likely a random drive failure that does happen...that's why it's so important to keep multiple backups. Just to play it safe, though, I would download a utility that monitors fans to make sure one of them isn't malfunctioning.

That sounds like a good idea. What utility and who do you download it from?

I know that hard drives fail and I'm not really mad at Apple, it's just makes you want to shake your head.

The warranty was up when it started acting up. And as far as changing out the HD myself.....I like the extended warranty idea better. I'm not that good with taking things apart and putting them back together again.

I did have "Time Machine" backup so I didn't loose anything. That saved the day.

wct097
08-10-2011, 19:40
Time machine, with a Time Capsule is pretty slick. I'm planning on buying a TC later this year.

GAFinch
08-10-2011, 19:54
I just use a widget called iStat Pro (it's free).

ETA: widgets are the calculator, calendar, etc accessed by pressing F12 on your keyboard.