Looking for a Knife. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Knife.

Crawford
08-09-2011, 22:20
I currently carry a Smith and Wesson M&P knife while on duty but the spring assist for it has malfunctioned making it unable to fully open on it's own. I was thinking about getting a new one before this but now I am definitely purchasing something else. What would you suggest for on duty carry?

DaBigBR
08-09-2011, 23:25
SOG Trident half-serrated. Good assisted opening, reversible clip, decent texture, cord cutter, etc. A little spendy if you're coming from a $20-$40 knife, but I have had my pair for three or four years and they're still going strong.

msu_grad_121
08-10-2011, 00:17
If you can find a way to carry a fixed blade, you wouldn't have to worry about some mechanism going bad. Plus, pullin a Ka-bar out sends a certain message. I'm just sayin. :supergrin:

For assisted opening knives, the Kershaw/Ken Onion series can't be beat.

Cochese
08-10-2011, 04:02
Kershaw tactical blur at any WalMart.

buddah
08-10-2011, 05:57
CRKT makes good knives and not too expensive. I have yet to break my M-16 big dog in 5 yrs. of everyday duty use.

Bruce M
08-10-2011, 06:58
I like the Kershaw 1550ST.

lethal tupperwa
08-10-2011, 07:25
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS372US372&q=cold+steel

American Lawman

AK47 (faster than your auto-when it was working)

A6Gator
08-10-2011, 07:42
Protech if your looking for an auto-opener. TR-1 or TR-2 work like a champ and I've never had a problem with them working.

http://protechknives.com/knives/knives.asp

Rinspeed
08-10-2011, 07:45
For a $30-40 knife I'm a big fan of the Cold Steel Voyager.

SCSU74
08-10-2011, 11:17

+1 love this knife. Has great spring assist, barely have to touch the thumb knub and it flys open. Got mine on amazon for $50 gotta love no tax and 2 day shipping :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Tactical-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VCA1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312996650&sr=8-2

93GT
08-10-2011, 11:27
I have a Benchmade 5500 Presidio, it is the only auto knife I have ever owned, but it has held up well over the years. I also have a Strider PT G10 as well and it is built like a tank, easily the most durable folder I have had to this point, but it weighs as much as a tank too. Not much fun to carry on a pocket so I stick with the old discontinued Spyderco Tim Wegner liner lock most of the time.

MeefZah
08-10-2011, 11:33

I gotta concur, in a recent similar thread I posted "Spyderco Delica" and I do love my Spydie; but I bought a Tactical Blur and it is a helluva knife.

Crawford
08-10-2011, 12:11
Thanks for all the help guys, gonna look at some more reviews but I am liking the Kershaw Tactical Blur.

SCSU74
08-11-2011, 15:17
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/knry0401/Work%20Things/IMG-20110406-00021.jpg

Bushido5150
08-11-2011, 15:33

+1 love this knife. I've had one for a number of years.

Imnotascoolasu
08-11-2011, 16:05
+1 love this knife. Has great spring assist, barely have to touch the thumb knub and it flys open. Got mine on amazon for $50 gotta love no tax and 2 day shipping :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Tactical-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VCA1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312996650&sr=8-2
I also agree on the Blur. I also love Amazon but got mine through LApolice during one of their 15% off sales

ottomatic
08-11-2011, 17:22
Another vote for any Ken Onion knife.

seagravedriver
08-11-2011, 17:32
I have had a Spyderco for 15 plus years. Never an issue. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. It has put up with a lot. But I do not use it as a pry bar, hammer or screwdriver......too often.

Keeperofthedew
08-13-2011, 00:16
I'll throw in a vote for a non-serrated, non-tanto Blur.
Like this:http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1670BLK/kershaw-black-blur-by-ken-onion
Just personal preference. You can't go wrong with a Blur.

Glocker1984
08-13-2011, 21:55
Kershaw Blackout

Kershaw Blur

Ontario RAT model 1 (My current EDC and On duty knife)

Spyderco Native

All these should fit the bill nicely. :wavey:

Ducowti
08-15-2011, 16:08
Boker reality-based tanto folder
http://www.swordsswords.com/boker-jim-wagner-reality-based-tanto-folding-knife.aspx

laxmikeG22
08-15-2011, 18:37
I know it's a big jump from a s&w knife, price wise, but check out Emerson knives. With the "wave" feature they will open faster than an auto and it will last forever. http://www.emersonknives.com/ekTheKnives_Tact.php

silverado_mick
08-16-2011, 02:07

I gotta concur, in a recent similar thread I posted "Spyderco Delica" and I do love my Spydie; but I bought a Tactical Blur and it is a helluva knife.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/knry0401/Work%20Things/IMG-20110406-00021.jpg

+1 love this knife. I've had one for a number of years.

I also agree on the Blur. I also love Amazon but got mine through LApolice during one of their 15% off sales

Another vote for any Ken Onion knife.

I'll throw in a vote for a non-serrated, non-tanto Blur.
Like this:http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1670BLK/kershaw-black-blur-by-ken-onion
Just personal preference. You can't go wrong with a Blur.

Kershaw Blackout

Kershaw Blur

Ontario RAT model 1 (My current EDC and On duty knife)

Spyderco Native

All these should fit the bill nicely. :wavey:

If you can find a way to carry a fixed blade, you wouldn't have to worry about some mechanism going bad. Plus, pullin a Ka-bar out sends a certain message. I'm just sayin. :supergrin:

For assisted opening knives, the Kershaw/Ken Onion series can't be beat.

This many cops can't possibly be wrong. I love me some Kershaw knives, and their customer service (as you have all heard me say before) is second to none. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Jwatts02
08-16-2011, 13:34
I have a benchmade 915 triage. It has a nice blade, rescue cutter, and a glass break all in one. Ad it comes in orange so you can find it if you drop it. Pricey though, I paid 140 for mine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

wanna19
08-16-2011, 21:21
I like my little kershaw tanto asst opening... it was only like 60 bux at wally world
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/JDPhotography_2007/misc/Photoon2011-08-16at2315.jpg

razdog76
08-16-2011, 22:34
I have had a Benchmade CQ7C for 13+ years. I can open it as fast as any assisted/switch blade, and has nothing to break.

As long as you are able to open it with one hand, and it will hold an edge it doesn't matter too much.

Butcher
08-18-2011, 00:03
CRKT M16-SF or M21-SF in my strong side pocket
Cold Steel Recon-1 in my vest pocket
custom boot knife when i wear long pants in the colder months

make sure your knife has a 3-5" blade, preferrably tanto shape with half serrations and make sure its a nice strong steel. dont be cheap. the knife might save your life or someone else's on day.

KiloBravo
08-18-2011, 06:14
CRKT M16-SF or M21-SF in my strong side pocket
Cold Steel Recon-1 in my vest pocket
custom boot knife when i wear long pants in the colder months

make sure your knife has a 3-5" blade, preferrably tanto shape with half serrations and make sure its a nice strong steel. dont be cheap. the knife might save your life or someone else's on day.

I am just curious...why the reasoning for the tanto blade shape and half serrations? I prefer a leaf shaped or drop point plain edge. I just want to know if I should check out something different if I get picked up by the current department that I am testing for?

David Armstrong
08-18-2011, 10:53
Spyderco Delica or Endura
CRKT M16 or similar CRKT knives
I am also one of those fond of the half serrated blade. Provides a bit more general utility.

Butcher
08-18-2011, 12:13
you want a tanto because the tip is aligned with the spine of the blade. it offers the most strength in the tip in case you need to punch through a lot of material. you want half serrations for the utility, as David said. always make sure your designated self defense blade is not used for utility purposes (i recommend carrying this one in your weak side vest pocket and/or on your weak side inner cuff of your boot). it must remain factory sharp until that day that you need to cut someone. a dull utility knife will still cut the heck out of a bad guy in a skilled user's hands, but having the blade in new condition will make it easier :) utility blade goes on the strong side pants pocket or cargo pocket if you are allowed to wear cargo/BDU pants.

just fyi i'm not totally full of crud... i'm a certified edged weapons tactics instructor

PS dont carry your utility knife in the weak side pants pocket. think of how you conduct interviews of potentially dangerous people: you blade your gun/strong side away from them, right? well in doing so, you are effectively handing them your knife if you carry it weak side. carry the blade on the strong side. your holster will prevent easy access by bad guys to your knife. please also see your department's policies on carry knives as self defense weapons. are improvised weapons allowed when you can't reach your gun, or your gun has failed? (are you allowed to carry a back-up gun? did it fail too?) etc

RetailNinja
08-18-2011, 12:23
I am just curious...why the reasoning for the tanto blade shape and half serrations? I prefer a leaf shaped or drop point plain edge. I just want to know if I should check out something different if I get picked up by the current department that I am testing for?

Tanto knives have a lot of meat (steel) at the tip. If' you've got the money, Emerson's CQC 10 and CQC 11 have a lot of steel at the tip as well, but in my opinion, are over priced. Find them used and you'll score a good deal.

I carry a big folder or small fixed blade in the pocket and a Swiss Army Knife (trekker non serrated) for utility.

KiloBravo
08-18-2011, 12:24
you want a tanto because the tip is aligned with the spine of the blade. it offers the most strength in the tip in case you need to punch through a lot of material. you want half serrations for the utility, as David said. always make sure your designated self defense blade is not used for utility purposes (i recommend carrying this one in your weak side vest pocket and/or on your weak side inner cuff of your boot). it must remain factory sharp until that day that you need to cut someone. a dull utility knife will still cut the heck out of a bad guy in a skilled user's hands, but having the blade in new condition will make it easier :) utility blade goes on the strong side pants pocket or cargo pocket if you are allowed to wear cargo/BDU pants.

just fyi i'm not totally full of crud... i'm a certified edged weapons tactics instructor

PS dont carry your utility knife in the weak side pants pocket. think of how you conduct interviews of potentially dangerous people: you blade your gun/strong side away from them, right? well in doing so, you are effectively handing them your knife if you carry it weak side. carry the blade on the strong side. your holster will prevent easy access by bad guys to your knife. please also see your department's policies on carry knives as self defense weapons. are improvised weapons allowed when you can't reach your gun, or your gun has failed? (are you allowed to carry a back-up gun? did it fail too?) etc

Very cool! I really appreciate the advice, sincerely. I will take everything you said to heart, and I guess I will be picking up a Kershaw tanto blur with 1/2 serrations for my next blade. The reasoning behind that style knife make sense for a dedicated fighting knife. I will be sure to keep the factory edge on it. :wavey:

DFinch
08-18-2011, 12:29

I hate tanto style blades and combo edges. Carry what you like.

KiloBravo
08-18-2011, 12:32
Tanto knives have a lot of meat (steel) at the tip. If' you've got the money, Emerson's CQC 10 and CQC 11 have a lot of steel at the tip as well, but in my opinion, are over priced. Find them used and you'll score a good deal.

I carry a big folder or small fixed blade in the pocket and a Swiss Army Knife (trekker non serrated) for utility.

Thanks! :wavey: