Failure to return to battery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Failure to return to battery

GlockLieber
08-09-2011, 23:06
What are the causes of failure to return to battery for 1911? I have Kimber Warrior that wont go into battery when loading a full mag when releasing the slide lock. It doesnt happen when racking the slide though. This happens more often after a slide lock and occassionally when firing? I've replaced the stock recoil spring with a 22 lb Wolfe Spring.

striperbisher
08-10-2011, 03:57
Need way more info.

cciman
08-10-2011, 15:58
Yes, more detail in how it happens would be helpful.

Does this happen with all ammo, or just hollow points and flat tips? Only with full mags, on the first round, or in the middle too?

How are you holding-- is your thumb touching the slide and inducing a fail?

First option is to forget the slide lock, rack each time.

beatcop
08-10-2011, 20:20
iirc, you have an extremely heavy spring...that thing should be resizing cases and seating bullets. Try a different mag and dif ammo and get back to us.

nwksaxman
08-11-2011, 13:11
I had this happen to me also. On my Springfield 1911 A1. Tried multiple mags, ammo, etc. It would fail to return to battery A LOT. Not just first round. It would do it 4/7 rounds no matter what I tried. I was talking to a guy at the range and he told me to polish my feed ramp. So now when I clean my gun I make sure to spend a little extra time rubbing some lube/oil into the feed ramp. Nearly solved my problem. It still occasionally fails to go into battery. Maybe 3/100 rounds. Still I would like to know what you discover. Maybe itll help me too

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GlockLieber
08-11-2011, 18:27
It happens mainly on the first round of a new magazine. I've only used Chip McCorick Power Mags and Metalform 8 round mags. I've shot WW white box, Federal American Eagle, and Federal champion all in FMJ. It occurs more with Federal Champion and both brand of mags. I now have resorted to racking the slide on a new mag but the gun will occassionally fail to return to battery while shooting. All I do is push the slide forward and I'm good to go. I can't recall if it happens on the first round or subsequent rounds but will make notes the next time I go to the range. If memory serves, it occurs more near the end of the range session when my gun is dirty or hot. The gun is still relatively new and have only shot around 500 rounds through it. The gun ejects fine and I've never had FTF or FTE issues.

beatcop
08-11-2011, 18:55
How close to closed is this thing coming?

If it's most often a first round issue, it would seem like there's a problem with the magazine pushing a case into the bottom of the slide and dragging...first round in a mag would have the most pressure forcing it againt lips. Anyway, without seeing it this is pure speculation.

GlockLieber
08-11-2011, 20:07
It has about 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch left before going into full battery. I'll post some pics at the range this weekend.

cciman
08-11-2011, 21:20
Suggestions:

Try the factory Kimber Mags.
Those mag springs in the others may be too stiff, the slide is dragging on the top round while in motion, otherwise the feed round is hanging as it is bouncing into the chamber.

The suggestion to polish the feed ramps is a good one. Eliminates feeding issues. Get some metal polish from a auto parts store, dremel felt polish wheel and buff the ramp to a mirror shine.

Check your grip, Where are your thumbs relative to the slide/

GlockLieber
08-27-2011, 18:13
I was able to eliminate this problem by loading m 8rd mags with only 7rds. Why would 8rds cause this problem. I am using Chip McCormick 8rd Powermags and Metalform 8rd mags. My Kimber was going into full battery when using the slide stop and I didn't have to rack the slide any more.

ColCol
08-27-2011, 20:18
I've had probably half a dozen 1911's and that's one design I never had a FTRTB issue with. Now, I have had that problem with two different 3rd Gen S&W pistols before and in fact that was my first encounter with that particular problem. Reckon I was lucky with the 1911. Fail to feed, but not returning to battery.

cciman
08-27-2011, 21:55
spring tension... less compression at -1 load.

Live with -1 in the mag, or buy some factory Kimber mags.

guns54
08-28-2011, 08:05
Suggestions:

Try the factory Kimber Mags.
Those mag springs in the others may be too stiff, the slide is dragging on the top round while in motion, otherwise the feed round is hanging as it is bouncing into the chamber.

The suggestion to polish the feed ramps is a good one. Eliminates feeding issues. Get some metal polish from a auto parts store, dremel felt polish wheel and buff the ramp to a mirror shine.

Check your grip, Where are your thumbs relative to the slide/Your right,Its the springs, Load them and leave them loaded for 3 or 4 days be for useing them.

Jerry
08-28-2011, 12:05
Chip McCormick mags are better than than Kimber mags. For a long time people complained of feeding problems with Kimber factor mags and the fix was Chip McCormick or Wilson. I use both in my competition 1911s and Wilsons in my carry gun. I’d rule out a mag problem simply because it happens with more than one mag and different brands.

First thing I would do is polish the feed ramp and chamber. I do this to ALL my 1911s. Even if it doesn’t solve the problem it can only improve the function of the pistol. Kimbers “were” noted for having tight chambers. I don’t know if they still do. I haven’t bought one since the generation II came out. Just something about unnecessary extra parts rubs me the wrong way. They can cause problems like dragging and causing feed problems.

Put a standard, 19 lb. spring back in it and if polishing the feed ramp and chamber doesn’t solve the problem get back to me and we'll move to the next step.

Jerry

cciman
08-28-2011, 12:36
No matter who makes them, or sells them, "improved" "better" design may just not work for you. Something about that full compressed mag is preventing your slide movement. 8+1 loading may not be a choice for your gun. OR just hand rack all the time. Find other mags that will work 8+1.

A generic 1911 military mag may be the only thing that works. You never know.

Jerry
08-28-2011, 12:48
No matter who makes them, or sells them, "improved" "better" design may just not work for you. Something about that full compressed mag is preventing your slide movement. 8+1 loading may not be a choice for your gun. OR just hand rack all the time. Find other mags that will work 8+1.

A generic 1911 military mag may be the only thing that works. You never know.

:upeyes:

WRONG! He has a well made 1911 and good mags. Something is amiss that CAN BE corrected. I have three Kimbers. Two full size and a compact. ALL run perfectly with 8 round mags. In fact my competition pistols run flawlessly with both Chip McCormick and Wilson 10 round mags.

GlockLieber
08-28-2011, 13:04
Here's a pic of how far the round goes in before it stops when using the slide stop. It goes all the way into battery when racking the slide. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have this problem when loading my 8rd mags with only 7 rounds. However, I'm going to load them to full capacity and simply rack the slide. I've encountered no other problem with the gun besides this.

Jim Watson
08-29-2011, 07:54
Have you ever ejected that round and looked at it instead of cramming it in and firing it?

A crescent shaped dent on what was the bottom side is a sign of a three-point-jam from "stem bind."

cciman
08-29-2011, 19:45
I have 2 Kimbers also. They run fine with any 1911 mag I put in them so far, including Kimber brand and 5 black no name steel mags bought through the years from different mil surplus stores. I've never needed specialized CM or Wilson mags to correct feeding problems. If I did, I would would be tempted to sell the guns.:wow:

:upeyes:

WRONG! He has a well made 1911 and good mags. Something is amiss that CAN BE corrected. I have three Kimbers. Two full size and a compact. ALL run perfectly with 8 round mags. In fact my competition pistols run flawlessly with both Chip McCormick and Wilson 10 round mags.

Jerry
08-29-2011, 23:07
I have 2 Kimbers also. They run fine with any 1911 mag I put in them so far, including Kimber brand and 5 black no name steel mags bought through the years from different mil surplus stores. I've never needed specialized CM or Wilson mags to correct feeding problems. If I did, I would would be tempted to sell the guns.:wow:

So what youíre saying is since his 1911 didnít run flawlessly out of the box he should pass the problem on to someone else. What a standup guy you are. :upeyes:

Iím sure the OP appreciates the helpful advice youíve given. :whistling:

cciman
09-03-2011, 08:27
I won't put up with a gun that is picky about mags/ammo-- especially the ones it came from the factory with.

I'd sell it to a guy like you who believes a 1911 is tweakable: it needs a premium aftermarket mag, polish here/there, and a few tweaks here/there, maybe some special handloads.

I think the OP has already settled on a solution.

So what youíre saying is since his 1911 didnít run flawlessly out of the box he should pass the problem on to someone else. What a standup guy you are. :upeyes:

Iím sure the OP appreciates the helpful advice youíve given. :whistling: