Almost a 1911 leg. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Almost a 1911 leg.

Quack
08-10-2011, 07:52
just goes to show that one should use the proper holster for the gun and if it's not going in, stop and look at what the problem is.

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Compact Carry V10 and had been carrying it in a DeSantis OWB holster (carried in a 3:30 position), that was made for my M&P 9mm. It seemed to fit "ok", held it in place, but the trigger ring flaps/guards are too large for the SA 1911. I need to purchase the correct holster for the weapon that I intend to carry!

I have NEVER had a weapons mishandling incident, in my entire life. I've been handling all types of weapons since I was 10 years old.

Anyway... A couple of weeks ago, my brother and were out fishing. As I got out of the car, I was getting our fishing gear ready to go and remembered my CCW was still in the car. (We had traveled a distance to this location and I had put my SA 1911 in the console.) When I retrieved the SA from the console, I checked the safety and it was on, so I pulled up my shirt and attempted to put it in my holster. Well, I wasn't looking at what I was doing and the SA didn't just slide in the holster as had done on previous occassions. So, I wiggled it in a side to side motion in attempt to get the pistol to slip inside the holster.

What I didn't notice was that one of the ear tabs (trigger guards for the M&P) was pushing on the trigger, while the other tab had flipped the ambi-safety off. Ofcourse, my hand was pushing down on the grip safety at the back of the pistol grip and ....you guessed it. BANG!!! Needless to say, I was in a state of shock and afraid to look to see how much of my butt that I'd just blown off. Fortunately, all I got was a huge muzzle blast burn and concussion bruise from the short and ported barrel. Obviously, the shorts I WAS wearing were ripped to shreds, with the back pocket mssing and a bullet nick in my leather wallet.

I'm not afraid/embarassed to tell this story, as it may help others and save lives to realize that every weapon has to be carried in its' own holster, that was designed for that weapon. I was very lucky and thank God, to this day, that that's all that happened to me. My brother was standing on the other side of the car, the bullet went into the grass and there were no other people standing around in the area. We made a pact to never tell our retired Mom, the events of that day.

My SA 1911 will remain in the safe, until I purchase the correct holster for it AND get the ambi-safety removed.

Outdoorguy57

drc767
08-10-2011, 08:00
A short, ported barrel and holster for a different weapon.......Where to even begin?

faawrenchbndr
08-10-2011, 08:12
Square peg, round hole,.........BAD idea!

Quack
08-10-2011, 08:14
Square peg, round hole,.........BAD idea!

more like a round peg in a square hole, it fit, but not properly.

SiberianErik
08-10-2011, 08:27
A short, ported barrel and holster for a different weapon.......Where to even begin?

mulit-fail on multiple levels. People will spend $1K + on a weapon then another few hundred on mods to it and yet cheap out on a holster/belt combo.

I used to see this type of thinking when I was big into the BMW ///M scene. Guys would drop $10K on a forced induction system then try to find the cheapest , crapiest tires to try to harness all the new horsepower. :dunno:

There was a vid in the GG section of a guy glocking himself in the leg while seated in a car. He was using some old, beat up holster that I think was not even for the frame size G he was using. The holster hit the Saf-T-Trigger :rofl:and boomy. I must be the olny one that lol when people say the glock has a safety built into the trigger. If a two year old can pick up a Glock and pull the trigger , disableing the safety, well that isn't much of a safety system.

polizei1
08-10-2011, 08:33
Wow, that sucks for that guy. I ALWAYS tell people the most important thing is a quality belt/holster. People just don't seem to get it, and I have no idea why!

Cerebrus
08-10-2011, 08:47
Ouch.. kinda hammers home the point.. the right tool for the job at hand.. I am still wondering why on earth one would try and put a singlestack gun in a doublestack holster and think that it is going to work correctly.. :brickwall:

knedrgr
08-10-2011, 09:06
Ouch.. kinda hammers home the point.. the right tool for the job at hand.. I am still wondering why on earth one would try and put a singlestack gun in a doublestack holster and think that it is going to work correctly.. :brickwall:

Actually the V10 was a double stack 1911, hybrid if you will. Kind of like the Para Warthog.

Quack
08-10-2011, 09:11
Actually the V10 was a double stack 1911, hybrid if you will. Kind of like the Para Warthog.

The V10 is also a single stack.

Quack
08-10-2011, 09:13
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad234/G26ster/Pistols/SDC10031-1.jpg

skdmrklcy
08-10-2011, 09:31
What is sad here is that there are a lot of decent holsters for not a lot of money.

I have a Fobus thing for my M&P that is not great but it is safe...

I actually have a Safariland 5188 that I really like for my 1911 as a competition holster. I am going to order a nice leather one as soon as I figure out what I want.

I have a buddy that carrys a M&P IWB with one of those uncle mikes non fitted clip on bag like holsters... I am waiting for the day he shoots himself, refuses to change.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-10-2011, 09:58
So I guess when the "What holster should I buy" thread of the week pops up, I probably shouldn't say one for a M&P 9mm

CMG
08-10-2011, 10:03
Too many errors piled on top of each other, something had to give.

So I guess when the "What holster should I buy" thread of the week pops up, I probably shouldn't say one for a M&P 9mm

That depends on who's asking, eh? :cool:

Rinspeed
08-10-2011, 10:19
I guess I don't know what an "ear tab" is. :dunno:

Quack
08-10-2011, 11:21
i originally saw it on a OhioCCW forum, but it looks like he also posted on TOS

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=328563

bac1023
08-10-2011, 11:35
:shocked:

triehl27
08-10-2011, 11:42
I had a similar experience with out the bang at the end with a floppy soft IWB holster. Trigger guard area rolled and pressed into the trigger.

Never again.

First off my holsters now ALL have the body shield attachment that covers the safety, and the leather is molded to the safety in the ON position.

When I have to remove or put on a holstered 1911 my right thumb presses up from underneath the thumb safety holding from accidentally coming off. and I keep my index finger applying pressure to the side of the slide area so to make sure that the gun does not move out of the holster while wiggling it into my pants when that type of gearing or putting on is necessary.

My Holsters are also now heavier leather that come the trigger guard. Such as the Kramer IWB, Galco, etc.

Most of the time I undue my belt as to prevent me from having to wiggle it back and forth and apply alot of downward pressure to get it in.

I also always now use holsters that have snap belt closures so they are easier to take on and off. With one way snaps.

awpk03s
08-10-2011, 18:55
This should be common sense, but for many it isn't... if you're going to carry a gun, don't cheap out on the holster. Seriously... Yes a good holster is going to cost $100+. Get over it... and save your buttocks and ding-a-ling from getting shot off.