Do you or know someone who uses Rottweilers as there K9 Partner? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you or know someone who uses Rottweilers as there K9 Partner?

BLACK Z
08-10-2011, 09:19
Just Wondering, I haven't seen many in a while, worked with a NYSP Bomb dog that was a Rottweiler and he seemed to be a great dog.

What do you guys think of them? Should they be used more or less?

Hack
08-10-2011, 09:30
I just wish that all of our institutions had any K-9. But, I haven't seen any from the neighbouring agencies.

GaGlock01
08-10-2011, 09:41
Back in the 90s the Danbury police department had one as a K9. What they have now I had no idea, I don't live there anymore.

I got robbed at run point on Mill plane road just outside the D&D at the bottom of the mill ridge road, at 6pm on a Friday night walking home from work because my car broke down (it was a 3 mile walk).

When the cops showed up they had a rotti, a very big one.. The k9 could not pick up the trail and the cops never got the guys..

cowboywannabe
08-10-2011, 09:54
i knew a few in the 90's, not tracking dogs so to speak, but if they saw the runner, they got him "very well".

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
08-10-2011, 12:29
I had one as a drug dog in the 80's , she was one of the best I've ever seen. Her mother was a bomb dog that was used for the President of France.

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
08-10-2011, 12:34
My last working K9 was a bloodhound. I often used him on cold cases (trails) , even trained on identical twins from a split embryo. I miss the training , but going head on with a 89 yr old drunk takes the ability out of you. I still get calls about training problems concerning scent work. I truly love to watch a good dog figure out a complex problem.

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
08-10-2011, 12:36
Her reward for finding drugs was a tennis ball, I kid you not she could carry four in her mouth, and pop all four at the same time. Powerful set of jaws

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
08-10-2011, 12:37
This tread is killing me. Almost to the point of tears. I miss working with K9's

Trigger Finger
08-10-2011, 14:41
LAPD used to have a Rottweiller back in the late 1980's. It was a great dog. Very intimidating. I saw it rip a murder suspects testicles off, no kidding. That's would be a fate worse than being shot. The Doctor treating him at the hospital actually requested several officers go look for them to be reattached, The officers had no luck finding them. :supergrin:

They got rid of the Rotts when the Jewish community said it reminded them of Nazi Germany. :upeyes:

I was told by a handler that a Rott can do more damage to a person in the shortest amount of time, kind of like a bear mauling you.

Yea, I know. I threw in yet another war story. But they are true, I swear. Allot of people think I'm making this stuff up. I'm not, I will try and tone it down. It's just that some threads bring back old memories.

ditchdoc24
08-10-2011, 16:07
I know that MPD in Washington DC used to have at least one Rottweiler as a K9. I used to see the Officer breaking his dog in the mornings. That was about 20 years ago.

janice6
08-10-2011, 16:14
My wife and I are neighbors to a Rottweiler that replaced the older one. They are the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She visits us every few days and plays chase and tug with our Yorky (to the left). I would trust my life to her.

I also would never cross that dog or try to threaten her. She could take an arm off in one bite.

(You can't imagine what it is like to have the Yorky and the Rotty playing chase around our coffee table, she is 90 pounds now and still a pup.)

pgg00
08-10-2011, 16:45
An agency south of my my old place had one a few years ago. Nice dog. Went in a building search with them one time and. Watched it but the guy. Just missed his nuts. That upper thigh though got some good wounds.

Kadetklapp
08-10-2011, 17:47
The neighboring county SO got a Rot to replace a GSD that died suddenly (bloat). The deputy assigned the dog is a bit of a wild man, and the GSD actually had some trouble getting certified due to some issues, and the Rot had no special training or lineage before going in service. Not sure if he's still being used or not.

collim1
08-10-2011, 18:44
Never seen one as a LE dog in my area. I do love Rotties though, they are good dogs, and very smart too.

I do know of a company in my area that is surrounded by a 10ft barbwire fence and two Rotties inside the fence. Its one of the only businesses I can think of in my jurisdiction that has never once been burglarized.

GeorgiaRedfish
08-10-2011, 19:04
I used to run trails to train Search and Rescue Blood Hounds, those things were amazing, they would pickup a trail that was 2-3weeks old and not miss a beat.

dano1427
08-10-2011, 19:49
The Rotties have been really damaged by bad breeding practices, inbreeding, puppy-mills, etc. A well bred Rottweiler is an amazing dog, but very few breeders breed it to what it's supposed to be.

I have a friend where I work that has a legit German lined Rottie. He's a very mellow, very big (120 Lbs) and very athletic dog, but I would not want to be on his bad side, as he his very protective of his family, and wouldn't hesitate to destroy someone wanting to do harm to him or his "Pack."

3Speedyfish3
08-11-2011, 03:53
I was a Police K9 handler in Florida from 1990 to 1998, and again in 2001. I only saw two Rottweilers used in my area--one at Hernando SO and one at Tampa PD. Beautiful dogs, but I think those big-boned fellas had some trouble in the summer heat. Haven't seen one since.

TexasSchool Cop
08-11-2011, 07:00
Back when I worked K9, we had two of the on the unit. One was 115lbs and really just too big. Good dog though. The other 90lbs dog was trained for SWAT and everything. A really good dog.

eracer
08-11-2011, 07:04
They got rid of the Rotts when the Jewish community said it reminded them of Nazi Germany. :upeyes:But GERMAN Shepherds don't?

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

Mayhem like Me
08-11-2011, 07:51
Rotties have some of the hardest bites I have ever had as a decoy, they hit VERY hard due to weight and speed.
They are also good full mouth biters but have a shorter snout and don't get as deep a bite, not a big deal since they have a higher pressure bite rating than all but the largest pointy eared k9s.
Problem is they do tend to tire before the GSD, Dutch and Mals...

Great dogs listen well, not quite as athletic as the others, they make up for it in POWER and tenacity.

If I knew I was going after a real BADAZZ that needed to be taken down right away I would find a good german bred rottie at around 110 lbs that was agile...
They have some of the hardest bites of any service K9..

RVER
08-11-2011, 19:09
I seem to recall that Pittsburgh PD had at least one in the 90's. More recently Lancaster County (PA) Prison had at least one on staff.

BLACK Z
08-12-2011, 10:29
I like these dogs, I d like to see more being used. Watching these guys in Competitions they are amazing.

mikegun
08-12-2011, 18:25
SFPD had a few Rotties in the 80s, but phased them out, they have terriffic pressure in their jaws,decoys were injured while taking them on during training, i recall them being good level headed dogs, but very tough....

Mayhem like Me
08-12-2011, 22:00
biting and willing to please are not a problem for them, they just wear out faster lugging all that chest, shoulder and neck/head around....

razdog76
08-12-2011, 22:38
Short dark fur, and a short muzzle do not help with heat dissipation either.

Trigger Finger
08-13-2011, 01:36
I know a couple dog handlers, one advising for the military now, who both said the same thing.

A Doberman is like a rookie police officer who sometimes shoots first and asks questions later while a Rottweiler is like a seasoned veteran officer who sizes up the situation then strikes at the correct target!

BLACK Z
08-19-2011, 15:22
I have a well bred Rottweiler and i d love to have him as my partner.