To laser or not to laser, that is the question...... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To laser or not to laser, that is the question......

davetron
08-10-2011, 11:33
Ok, so my G19 has quickly become my favorite carry piece. I generally like lasers on my CCW guns and I prefer Crimson trace. I had the lasergrips on a 1911 and XD style, and I have the laser guard on my Kahr P9 (Which the G19 replaced). All worked and I was happy with them (except the XD lasergrip made it too thick to comfortably shoot)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Part of me just wants to leave it stock because of the beautiful rugged simplicity and functionality of it. But on the other hand it would be good to be able to shoot from cover, in low light, without having to take my eyes off potential multiple threats etc.<o:p></o:p>
SO Iíve got it narrowed down to three options<o:p></o:p>
1. The Crimson trace lasergrip that wraps around the grip (LG-417), I like the ďinstant onĒ below the trigger and I like the small offset compared to the barrel. Iím worried that it will make the grip thicker (like it did on my XD) and that where the laser is located will cause the gun to print more when carrying IWB.<o:p></o:p>
2. The Crimson trace laser guard (LG-436), I have this type of unit unit on a Kahr P9 and it works great, has the ďinstant onĒ and it would work on any future glock compact/subcompact I might purchase. The two cons for this is that I wouldnít be able to wear my current holster and I donít like how far the laser is actually offset from the barrel (Iím anal about that kinda stuff) looks to be a good inch or more.<o:p></o:p>
3. Iíve considered the lasermax guide rod laser, it seems like it would solve all the problems, it has a minimal offset and I could keep all my current holsters but itís the most pricey and Iíve read anecdotal evidence of them failing and Iím skeptical about taking out the OEM Glock guide rod and spring assembly and putting an unknown in its place.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
So in the end I vacillate back and forth between my options. Does anyone have any actual personal experience with any or all of the three options they would care to share?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

skip a stone
08-10-2011, 12:42
I have a laser guard on my G-33 and have a clipdraw so a holster isn't really a concern for me. I've had ppl tell me how crazy and dangerous this is, yet if you think about it for a few seconds the clipdraw completes all the funtions of a holster. As long as the trigger guard is covered on either side by a material barrier nothing is going to enter in and push back on a trigger that already has one safety device that prevents this in the first place. If it's skin or an under shirt on one side and denim jeans on the other side of the trigger guard these two materials do the same thing as any holster....okay sorry your question was about the laser option. I'd still go with the laserguard. It's more in line with the barrel, not that the lasermax isn't I just have never been a big fan of putting a laser inside of a moving recoil spring. Espeacially a spring moving as fast as one that sits inside of a pistol being shot. Many ppl will attest to their quality, but the laserguard just made more sense for me with a G-33.

I don't think anyone actually knows what they will or won't do if put into a place where they would have to draw their CCW to defend themselves. That's why training is so important. I do find it comforting to know though when I practice with my CCW and I actually see that little red dot on my target I think that that very dot will be a very good reference point to how and what you are actually pointing at if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to point a lethal weapon at another human being. What I'm getting at, is if your adrenaline is on maximum, and you are in fear of your life or that of others will that little red dot be bouncing all over the place? Or will it help keep you focused on where it needs to be? That is one of the reasons why I'm a fan of a laser on a CCW. Dependeing on where your mindset is at the moment when you need it the most will it hurt, help, or not matter at all that it is on your CCW in the first place? Only you can make a propper judgement on that for yourself.

I hope I will never be in a situation where I have to rely on a weapon of any kind to potentially end someone else's life, yet if I'm at a reasturant, or out in public and someone starts shooting people at random because he had a bad day or had a screw loose and finally came undone I would like to at least have an option to defend myself or others, and if a laser that helps make for a better well placed shot helps, then I'm more inclined to have one equipped.