Is installing Night Sights on a Glock or 1911 really that difficult [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is installing Night Sights on a Glock or 1911 really that difficult

CamHollowPoint1988
08-10-2011, 12:02
I went to a gun shop to see how much they would charge me for Night Sights and price of Installation. They told me like $125 for trijicon for my RIA 1911 Full size and $65.00 for installation. I would assume the Glock trijicon night sights would cost the same or more installation same price. The only reason why i am asking for trijicon is because i always hear about them and see them advertised in this gun shop. I don't care what brand of night sights as long as they work right and will last like a ''TOYOTA FOREVER''. By the way i am a ''AMERICAN CAR LOVER'' it is just i do own a 1982 Celica for a commuter car never any problems just the serpentine belts and the battery i have ever needed to replace.

Anyways Any Great Brands of night sights? i would like to have the front to have a red dot and the rear be a 2 dot white or green. I just want them to keep their glow and not break off that easy. I have rebuilt a Carbueretor on a 1967 Camaro SS and replaced exaust as well. These night sights would be for both my Glock 17 and RIA 1911 and maybe a Gold Cup. I am sure i can find a Better price for night sights online and if i had a sight tool i could do the removal and install myself. Right is it difficult i replaced a ignition i learned from a youtube video.

Sorry i brought up the story of the toyota for longevity i love AMERICAN muscle cars. Just so you guys don't think i am anti AMERICAN.
Sorry as well for bringing up the story about my auto repair for difficulty comparison of auto repair vs removing and installing sights. I know someone is gonna say something negative and nothing that is going to help answer my question. So in advance:panties:

gdiddy
08-10-2011, 12:35
Not really too difficult if you have the proper tool which costs in excess of $200 and the know how and skill to use it.:whistling:

PaLEOjd
08-10-2011, 12:48
They are not hard to install. Get yourself a MGW sight pusher (definately NOT in excess of $200, should be less than $100) and put them on yourself.

Kevin08
08-10-2011, 12:51
I used a hammer and a block of copper.

Your mileage may vary, haha.

HotRoderX
08-10-2011, 12:56
On the RIA 1911 that seems pretty fair for night sights. Might re post this in the 1911 sub forum for a second opinion thought. My understanding is with the RIA's they don't follow a set stander ed for fitment of the sights. That means to install them they will have to file them down and fit them so for what they cost that seems fair. As far as the Glock Sights go 100bucks max unless you want something fancy with 25 installed seems to be the going rate.

As far as the Glock goes check out these guys http://www.glockmeister.com/Night-Sights/products/36/ they seem to have a great deal. Pay for the sights then you can send the slide in to have them fitted for free since the slide is not serial numbered I don't believe you have to do anything special when shipping it to them. I am sure if you give them a call they can answer your questions.

Sorry this might not be the clearest post in the world hope it makes since and helps ya out

PaLEOjd
08-10-2011, 13:05
I used a hammer and a block of copper.

Your mileage may vary, haha.

OP, PLEASE don't do this.....Not a good idea, pay someone before yo utake a hammer to the sights. Doesn't take much to smash a tritium insert with a hammer.

IT0
08-11-2011, 06:01
I shop around a lot but there are four good gun shops in town that will put the sites on for FREE if you buy them from them. If I buy them on the net, they charge $15 to put them on. Keep in mind if milling is required on the slide, that aint free.

There also a Glock tool (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=665&CAT=111) used to press them on is only around $130 and you can find the universal ones to for a little less. So that $65 your local shop is charging sounds a bit outrageous to me.

ashecht
08-11-2011, 06:16
I bought several pairs of night sights from Optics Planet. They had great prices, and unlike others here, I have had great experiences with them. My lgs charged me $20 to put them on. I did buy one pair at my lgs which I could probably have gotten $25 or $30 cheaper, but they installed them for free, so it was pretty much a wash and I got instant gratification

frankt
08-11-2011, 14:23
Very easy on Glocks, some 1911's can be more of a problem.

Kimber sights are extremely tight but local gunsmith charges $30 and does them while you wait.

Satelliteman
08-13-2011, 19:16
Not really too difficult if you have the proper tool which costs in excess of $200 and the know how and skill to use it.:whistling:

I bought my MGW for $99.00 & S/H. Installed 3 sets of Trijicon sights (on Glocks) in about 30 minutes.

There is no super duper "skill" needed.