Ruger LCR 357 opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR 357 opinions

G17Gen4
08-10-2011, 21:00
I was thinking about getting a small pocket revolver in .357 magnum and I was looking at a LCR at work today and the trigger feels pretty good for a double action only gun. How is the quality of the gun and how is the recoil with .357 rounds?

wrenrj1
08-10-2011, 21:15
Sold my LCR .38 (traded actually for a Ruger SP 101) +P ammo was too snappy for me. cant imagine the .357 recoil. Light is nice when carrying, but firing several rounds at the range can be tough on the hand.

Rent one and check it out, to each their own. I do like my LCP however.

collim1
08-10-2011, 21:25
I thought the opposite of the trigger, and I couldn't imagine shooting .357mag out of it.

I thought the Smith bodygaurd .38 was even worse than the Ruger.

There are lots of good used 642/442 Smiths out there.

Gregg702
08-10-2011, 21:59
I have an LCR in 357 and it is great. Very fun to shoot 357, it is loud and has a huge fireball, and 38 is very easy to manage. It weighs 4oz more than the 38 version, that helps a little with the considerable recoil.

NEOH212
08-11-2011, 01:50
Sold my LCR .38 (traded actually for a Ruger SP 101) +P ammo was too snappy for me. cant imagine the .357 recoil. Light is nice when carrying, but firing several rounds at the range can be tough on the hand.

Rent one and check it out, to each their own. I do like my LCP however.

+1 on the SP 101. IMHO, it is the greatest cc revolver ever! :wavey:

Fedor
08-11-2011, 04:47
A .357 LCR will probably be my next Handgun.

09crue
08-11-2011, 06:16
i recently bought the LCR in 38 special over the 357 for a couple reasons..the 357 is 4ozs heavier,doesn't seem like alot but for concealed carry it makes a noticeable differance..also,shooting 357 rounds from a 17oz gun is going to be punishing,more blast,more recoil resulting in slower follow up shots..i woukd suggest getting the sp101 if you want to carry a 357,it is heavy but built like a tank or get the lcr in 38+p JMO

EL COLONEL
08-11-2011, 15:58
Go with the 357 and if you don't like it then just shoot 38's....:dunno:

Gregg702
08-11-2011, 16:19
Go with the 357 and if you don't like it then just shoot 38's....:dunno:

Pretty much this. And IMO shooting .357's out of such a small gun is fun.

boxer
08-11-2011, 17:36
I bought two LCR .357 magnum this year. My constant companion. Excellent trigger, excellent grips. I don't shoot full power .357 though. Reduced power .357 or 38 special, depending. This gun conceals well in the pocket, or on the ankle. Just bought the GP100 to be my house gun. In 39 years, I have yet to have a revolver jam (now that I write this, it probably will happen).
I have owned several J frames, they don't measure up to this gun. Ruger has set a new standard.

JaPes
08-11-2011, 17:45
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/IMG_0089-1.jpg
Ruger KLCR .357 Magnum

To sum up:

.38 Special = mild recoil, shoot all day

.38 + P = stout recoil, shoot most of the day

.357 Mag = violent, shoot a few

There has been much opinion posted about .357 Magnum snub nose revolvers. Some get their panties in a bunch defending their opinion either pro or against .357 Magnum.

The same arguments get posted over and over. The KLCR weighs more than the LCR. .357 Magnum recoil is too much out of a little gun. Blah...blah...blah...

The closest thing to the truth you'll get:

Either you can tolerate shooting a .357 Magnum snub revolver or you can't. You won't really know until you experience it yourself.

Personally, I don't mind shooting .357 Magnum out of the KLCR. Will I do it all day long? No. Is the recoil violent? Hell yes. It's part and parcel of shooting a .357 snub.

The main advantage of the KLCR over the LCR is that the KLCR gives you the option to shoot .38 Special, .38 +P, and .357 Mag.

GoBigOrange
08-11-2011, 17:51
I absolutely adore my LCR in .38 and I see a .357 version in my future. I highly doubt you will regret your decision.

Cap'n
08-12-2011, 08:44
Among many handguns, revolvers and pistols, I own an LCR .357.

It has a magnificent DAO trigger and is remarkably accurate.

My carry load is .38 Special +P 135-grain Speer GDHP. Recoil is not an issue with the standard grips.

HOWEVER, I fired ONE round of .357 magnum -- a high-end but not max load developed for my Ruger SP-101 -- and my hand stung so badly, I gave that up real fast. (On the other hand, I can shoot that same load all day long in the 2-inch SP-101 with Hogue grip.)

Since my intent was only to carry the Speer load mentioned above anyway, the gun is a keeper for me.

Bilbo Bagins
08-12-2011, 09:20
Ruger KLCR .357 Magnum

To sum up:

There has been much opinion posted about .357 Magnum snub nose revolvers. Some get their panties in a bunch defending their opinion either pro or against .357 Magnum.

The same arguments get posted over and over. The KLCR weighs more than the LCR. .357 Magnum recoil is too much out of a little gun. Blah...blah...blah...

Either you can tolerate shooting a .357 Magnum snub revolver or you can't. You won't really know until you experience it yourself.

Personally, I don't mind shooting .357 Magnum out of the KLCR. Will I do it all day long? No. Is the recoil violent? Hell yes. It's part and parcel of shooting a .357 snub.

The main advantage of the KLCR over the LCR is that the KLCR gives you the option to shoot .38 Special, .38 +P, and .357 Mag.

+1 million. Dead spot on.

I kick myself, for not snatching up a used LCR .357 at my local gunstore when I first saw it. I came back later asking about it and it was GONE. It was $300 basically like new. The store owner told me not to worry, he should be getting another used one eventually, and he will call me when that time comes. He says some people buy .357 lightweight snubnoses thinking they can't be that bad. Most people who buy a LCR never shot .357 in their life, and when they settle on the gun they think "I'll buy the .357 because its better than a .38". Even people who have shot .357 before usually have shot it out of a 2 to 3 pound steel revolver with a 4" barrel. So its a little smaller and lighter, how bad can it be?

JaPes
08-12-2011, 12:07
I kick myself, for not snatching up a used LCR .357 at my local gunstore when I first saw it. I came back later asking about it and it was GONE. It was $300 basically like new. The store owner told me not to worry, he should be getting another used one eventually, and he will call me when that time comes. He says some people buy .357 lightweight snubnoses thinking they can't be that bad. Most people who buy a LCR never shot .357 in their life, and when they settle on the gun they think "I'll buy the .357 because its better than a .38". Even people who have shot .357 before usually have shot it out of a 2 to 3 pound steel revolver with a 4" barrel. So its a little smaller and lighter, how bad can it be?

You've described the circumstances leading to my KLCR purchase. I found one used for $300. It was basically brand new. Looked like someone shot maybe a cylinder of .357 Mag and then sold it.

Bilbo Bagins
08-12-2011, 12:24
You've described the circumstances leading to my KLCR purchase. I found one used for $300. It was basically brand new. Looked like someone shot maybe a cylinder of .357 Mag and then sold it.

Do you have a lightweight .38 already? If you don't, then get it. Even if you don't like shooting .357 out of it, basically use it as a 17oz .38 snubbie carry gun. :dunno:

You can't even find a new Taurus .38 or .357 for $300.

cloudbuster
08-12-2011, 16:30
I love mine. Great tigger, comfortable grip. Feels great in the hand.

I had to learn how to shoot .357 out of it comfortably. It trained me out of some bad habits. A firm, close-contact grip makes shooting .357 painless even one-handed, over the short term.

Loud as heck -- you can consider that a benefit or a drawback. :)

Chup
08-12-2011, 16:49
Ruger KLCR .357 Magnum

To sum up:

My sentiments exactly

AWGD8
08-12-2011, 17:03
I just bought one and still waiting for it. I think this gun will be the best CCW for people who live in a cold climate. Here in midwest, there is no way i can holster a gun during winter season since it is a PITA to grab the gun when the jacket is zipped.

It makes sense that having this gun in a coat pocket , will give you an easy access on the trigger , without drawing anything. You can fire the gun inside the pocket easily or at hip level. 5 rounds are enough for you to escape or run if you could, if you are a regular civilian and not a cop.

The 357 load is for self defense only and not a regular rAnge load. Although, it is a good practice to at least know what to expect when you pulled the trigger using a 357 ammo. For range ammo, the regular 38 or +p are ideal, since it is a bit cheaper, and you get to feel and master the trigger at the same time....

boxer
08-12-2011, 17:33
I just bought one and still waiting for it. I think this gun will be the best CCW for people who live in a cold climate. Here in midwest, there is no way i can holster a gun during winter season since it is a PITA to grab the gun when the jacket is zipped.

It makes sense that having this gun in a coat pocket , will give you an easy access on the trigger , without drawing anything. You can fire the gun inside the pocket easily or at hip level. 5 rounds are enough for you to escape or run if you could, if you are a regular civilian and not a cop.

The 357 load is for self defense only and not a regular rAnge load. Although, it is a good practice to at least know what to expect when you pulled the trigger using a 357 ammo. For range ammo, the regular 38 or +p are ideal, since it is a bit cheaper, and you get to feel and master the trigger at the same time....

I always worry about full power .357 in a snub nose, in case a primer moves out and locks the cylinder, due to violent recoil. Reduced power .357, 158 gr swchp +p, nyclads, full wadcutters, glaser silver, all are good self defense rounds. I like full power .357 in a full size revolver.

AWGD8
08-12-2011, 17:36
I always worry about full power .357 in a snub nose, in case a primer moves out and locks the cylinder, due to violent recoil. Reduced power .357, 158 gr swchp +p, nyclads, full wadcutters, glaser silver, all are good self defense rounds. I like full power .357 in a full size revolver.

Good point, but how often do we see primers popped out?
This time i guess the technology is a bit better than before right?

boxer
08-12-2011, 17:58

I just am paranoid. Read about it with the scandium S&Ws.

JaPes
08-12-2011, 18:14
Do you have a lightweight .38 already? If you don't, then get it. Even if you don't like shooting .357 out of it, basically use it as a 17oz .38 snubbie carry gun. :dunno:

You can't even find a new Taurus .38 or .357 for $300.

No. The only revolver I own at the moment is the KLCR .357 Mag. I don't mind shooting .357 Mag out of it, but I won't do it all day. I get a kick (no pun intended) out of the violent recoil.

When Illinois finally passes conceal carry, I'll add a light-weight .38 snubbie to the mix. Probably a Smith & Wesson.

I haven't had any issues shooting factory .357 Mag ammo in various bullet weights.

I just am paranoid. Read about it with the scandium S&Ws.

You know... if I believed everything I read on an internet forum, I wouldn't have any of the guns I have now.

cloudbuster
08-12-2011, 19:05

I've never had that happen with my LCR, but my .357 magnum round count is pretty low. I haven't seen anyone else mention experiencing the problem.

I have, however, had a similar thing happen with my Taurus .22 magnum! Recoil sometimes backs fired cases out of the chamber and causes them to bind the cylinder.

Narkcop
08-13-2011, 05:16
I carry my .38spl LCR nearly every day on my ankle. I had a .357 but it just does not ankle carry as easy. I found my .357 LCR also seemed not to always lock the cylinder for some reason, requirinq opening and closing the cylinder to lock up as if the longer magnum round was binding. I no longer have the magnum LCR.

Dwe
08-13-2011, 16:49
I have a .357 LCR and love it, but it is not for the faint of heart. The only thing I can say is to practice with the load you plan to carry. Full power defensive .357's are flat out unpleasent in the LCR, and why buy the 357 version if you plan on carrying the LCR with 38's.

kahrcarrier
08-14-2011, 06:16
Pretty much this. And IMO shooting .357's out of such a small gun is fun.

This!

I actually prefer the LCR to my j frames.

BroncoAZ
08-14-2011, 22:18
I have an LCR in 357 and it is great. Very fun to shoot 357, it is loud and has a huge fireball, and 38 is very easy to manage. It weighs 4oz more than the 38 version, that helps a little with the considerable recoil.

+1 on the extra 4 oz taming the LCR. My wife carried a .38 LCR, then I upgraded her to the .357 LCR. The trigger is good for DAO anf the gun is very controllable.

mikegun
08-14-2011, 22:53
I had a 38 LCR , great trigger, did not like the shape of the gun, holster, so i sold it and kept my 11 oz smith 38 337Ti, which i like a good deal better....

LH2
09-21-2011, 05:44
I've put quite a few rounds through S&W J-Frames. First my 15-ounce 442-1 and then over the last three years in my 13.3 oz 340 M&P. I practice with about 50/50 .38 and .357 since I like to practice with carry ammo. The M&P is tolerable with mid-range .357's like Remington 125gr Golden Sabres, which is what I carry in it. But not more than 25 or so at a time, they do sting. .38's are much easier to deal with if you feel like putting over 50 rounds downrange in a single session.

I'm thinking of grabbing an LCR though. The trigger and grip are really nice. Wondering if I should go with the 4 oz heavier KLCR just to offer a milder shooting experience to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with running .38's out of it if you can put more shots on target in less time as a result of the gun not beating you to death.

fnfalman
09-21-2011, 15:28
I don't understand these claims about the LCRs having great trigger pulls. The two that I shot had the typical Ruger DA wheelgun trigger pull, which can generously be called "horrendous".

It is what it is, a cheap snubbie. I don't like the factory rubber grip because it has too much meat between the trigger guard and the grip frame. I'll bet that a more slender grip that allows the shooter to put the fingers up higher would make it a better shooter.

Yes, recoil is stout with .38 +P and down right painful with .357 Mag.

I think that I'll stick with my Colt Cobra. Almost as light but eminently more shootable and has one more round.

Gregg702
09-21-2011, 15:32
I don't understand these claims about the LCRs having great trigger pulls. The two that I shot had the typical Ruger DA wheelgun trigger pull, which can generously be called "horrendous".

It is what it is, a cheap snubbie. I don't like the factory rubber grip because it has too much meat between the trigger guard and the grip frame. I'll bet that a more slender grip that allows the shooter to put the fingers up higher would make it a better shooter.

Yes, recoil is stout with .38 +P and down right painful with .357 Mag.

I think that I'll stick with my Colt Cobra. Almost as light but eminently more shootable and has one more round.

People like the triggers because they compare them to DAO J-frames, which have notoriously hard trigger pulls.

fnfalman
09-21-2011, 16:04
People like the triggers because they compare them to DAO J-frames, which have notoriously hard trigger pulls.

Interesting you mentioned DAO J-frames. I went with my adopted dad and looked at some J-frames yesterday. He wanted something that he can slip in his pocket when he answers the door or walks outside for newspaper/mail.

We looked at some older M36, M37, some current ones, even the Scandium models. The DA pull is pretty stout on those J-frames BUT they are smooth. The Ruger's DA pull may not be as heavy but it's anything but smooth.

I wanted to give him either my Agent or Cobra, but they are slightly bigger than he'd want for pocket carrying. Maybe a used aluminum J-frame with a trigger job will do it for him.

Gregg702
09-21-2011, 16:19
Interesting you mentioned DAO J-frames. I went with my adopted dad and looked at some J-frames yesterday. He wanted something that he can slip in his pocket when he answers the door or walks outside for newspaper/mail.

We looked at some older M36, M37, some current ones, even the Scandium models. The DA pull is pretty stout on those J-frames BUT they are smooth. The Ruger's DA pull may not be as heavy but it's anything but smooth.

I wanted to give him either my Agent or Cobra, but they are slightly bigger than he'd want for pocket carrying. Maybe a used aluminum J-frame with a trigger job will do it for him.

Now is a great time to look for a pocket gun, good luck with him finding something to fit his needs. Maybe have him look at a Kahr CM9? I have been eyeing those myself.

B-One
07-10-2012, 13:34
I did some testing on follow up shots with the .357 and the .38 and the results are here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19181745#post19181745

concretefuzzynuts
07-10-2012, 13:40
i recently bought the LCR in 38 special over the 357 for a couple reasons..the 357 is 4ozs heavier,doesn't seem like alot but for concealed carry it makes a noticeable differance..also,shooting 357 rounds from a 17oz gun is going to be punishing,more blast,more recoil resulting in slower follow up shots..i woukd suggest getting the sp101 if you want to carry a 357,it is heavy but built like a tank or get the lcr in 38+p JMO

Agree.

Metal Angel
07-10-2012, 13:44
After watching tnoutdoors9 ballistic tests of .357mag out of a 3" barrel (unimpressive at best), I would never use .357 in a barrel shorter than 4". That said, I would not be opposed to buying a snub .357 and plan to use .38+p primarily, with the option of .357 in case of ammo shortages (maybe the shelves are clear of .38 but a couple boxes of .357 are available), or for kicks and giggles at the range.

backcast88
07-10-2012, 19:45

x2.

Its bark is way worse then its bite on the shooter when shooting 357. I would much rather shoot a 357 LCR then any micro 380 (LCP or TCP).