10/22 scope for SHTF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 scope for SHTF

Lone Kimono
08-11-2011, 08:49
Which scope would you want on a factory 10/22 if SHTF? Which hold up better than others? I know the Muller gets a lot of suggestions, but is that too much scope if it's a factory? Which rings would hold up to a beating?

I was going to post this in another section, but I'm looking for a SHTF perspective, not perfect conditions.

RatDrall
08-11-2011, 10:10
1 Piece rings will hold up better, IMO, than 2 piece. Integral 1 Piece rings will hold up better than rings attached to a base attached to the reciever, IMO. A mount that utilizes all 4 mounting holes on the reciever will be tougher than a mount that only uses 2 of the mounting holes. I would prefer a Weigand integral ring 1 piece base. Other integral ring bases only use 2 of the mounting holes in the reciever, the Weigand uses all 4.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=140514

I would put a smaller scope, like the Leopold or Weaver 2-7x32. Small scopes are better than big ones on a "user" rimfire. No reason to make a light, compact and durable rifle heavy, unwieldy, and fragile with a giant bullseye type scope.

LongGun1
08-11-2011, 13:19
Which scope would you want on a factory 10/22 if SHTF? Which hold up better than others? I know the Muller gets a lot of suggestions, but is that too much scope if it's a factory? Which rings would hold up to a beating?

I was going to post this in another section, but I'm looking for a SHTF perspective, not perfect conditions.

If you are looking for a day/night capable SHTF Dot Optic with NV mode (that comes with a X2 Multiplier free of charge)....check out the LongGun1 tested Vortex SPARC.

Mfg states SPARC design was torture tested with 1,000 rds of .375 H&H Magnum!! :shocked:

Also does not use rings...& comes with 4 riser heights...free of charge

I tested the SPARC alongside the EOTech XPS3-1 & Aimpoint Micro T-1..

..& specific details of the SPARC are near the end this thread...

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpreps/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=23079

Was hitting torso sized targets at 150 yards this weekend..(shooting freehand)..

..as fast as I could pull the trigger!

(3 to 5 bullets in the air before the sound of the 1st impacting the steel :supergrin: )

Approx $200 shipped! :thumbsup:

Bushflyr
08-11-2011, 13:21
On a 10/22 I prefer a base that ties into the barrel rather than the receiver. The barrel is the important bit an doesn't have a particularly secure attachment to the receiver. Something that would bridge both would be ideal, but I've never seen one. Haven't been looking too hard though.

But like Rat said, something small, light, and less than 3x9.

Calhoun123
08-11-2011, 15:19
I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm looking at primary arms and various low power shotgun scopes.

RWBlue
08-11-2011, 15:29
First, SHTF and 10-22 bothers me. There are a few exceptions, but in general, I think a stock 10-22 is a bad idea for SHTF.

This being said, if I had to trust my life to a scope and never be able to get a replacement or fix or ...... it would be a Leupold.

Arvinator
08-11-2011, 15:32
On my 10/22 rifle, I have a Bushnell 3 x 9 power scope, and had a gunsmith mount the scope. I kept my sights on, and if the scope goes down, I'll take it off and go back to my irons.
I sighted the scope at 50 yards, and it works fine.

poodleshooter1
08-11-2011, 19:59
On my 10/22 rifle, I have a Bushnell 3 x 9 power scope, and had a gunsmith mount the scope. I kept my sights on, and if the scope goes down, I'll take it off and go back to my irons.
I sighted the scope at 50 yards, and it works fine.

Really? 50 yards? Why not just use irons at that range?

RichJ
08-11-2011, 22:43
First, SHTF and 10-22 bothers me. There are a few exceptions, but in general, I think a stock 10-22 is a bad idea for SHTF.

This being said, if I had to trust my life to a scope and never be able to get a replacement or fix or ...... it would be a Leupold.

Really? What's wrong with a stock 10/22?

RWBlue
08-11-2011, 22:56
Really? What's wrong with a stock 10/22?

Would you recommend someone defend themselves with a 22LR?

For some reason, I don't see any military in the world switching from centerfire rifles and pistols for rim fires.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 01:51

For some reason, I don't see any military in the world switching from centerfire rifles and pistols for rim fires.

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the OP mention anything about self defense with the .22

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 08:51
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the OP mention anything about self defense with the .22

We have already discussed the inability of self sustaining hunting in a SHTF situation and found it lacking. I will let you do the search. If you don't find the threads compelling, let me know I can lay out both arguments.

So the next step is that is is planned for some hunting, self defense and varmint control.

For hunting the 22lr is not the best.
For self defense the 22LR is not the best.
For varmint control, I like the 22LR, but in a SHTF sound might be an issue and do you want a 22LR in hand or something more (see self defense).

The best thing about the 22LR is the cost of the ammunition and the size of the ammunition, and the lack of recoil. These items make it GREAT for training, packing on some trips, and maybe for letting non-gun people use.

Suppressed 22LR has a SHTF purpose.
Fully automatic 22LR has a SHTF purpose.

RichJ
08-12-2011, 10:11
Is a 10/22 the best for hunting or self-defense? No, but it is hard to find another firearm with the versitility of that platform.

You may not be able to self-sustain just by hunting, but you can sure suppliment quite well with it. Small game will surely present more opportunity than larger game and a high cap battle rifle like an AR/AK just isn't going to bring it home the way a .22 will.

I have all my bases covered as far as firearms go but if I could only have one out of the lot I would probably choose my 10/22.

RichJ
08-12-2011, 10:18
The best thing about the 22LR is the cost of the ammunition and the size of the ammunition, and the lack of recoil. These items make it GREAT for training, packing on some trips, and maybe for letting non-gun people use.

:headscratch: I guess you don't think very highly of the .22 huh?

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 10:32
:headscratch: I guess you don't think very highly of the .22 huh?

I love my 22lr rifles, pistols and conversions. I have a growing collection/addiction.

I just don't see a stock semi-auto 22LR being the best (or even close to the best) SHTF rifle. It falls into the category of "if that is the only thing you have.....use it".

93GT
08-12-2011, 11:05
http://www.amazon.com/Reticle-1-6x40mm-Pride-Fowler-RR-22-1/dp/B0049AFYXA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I388S8VSAN0JJ5&colid=3639RQVANK910

I am curious about the pride fowler line of scopes for a 22 LR or a 300 BLK (trajectory similar in subsonic) Durability might be an issue I suppose.

RatDrall
08-12-2011, 11:18

:wavey:

http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

Fieldcraft > Firepower

cyrsequipment
08-12-2011, 11:25

Fieldcraft > Firepower

From the article sited...

In 1987, the Intifada - the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories - broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56 mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

Not to be mean, but this is kinda what RW was saying, a .22 isn't exactly a choice weapon except for trigger practice and VERY small game. I still have a few and I love shooting them, but they are quite limited in their utility....

That said, the thread was started to discuss a scope mount that was tough... the SHTF correlation wasn't really about a "combat" weapon.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 11:48
We have already discussed the inability of self sustaining hunting in a SHTF situation and found it lacking. I will let you do the search. If you don't find the threads compelling, let me know I can lay out both arguments.

So the next step is that is is planned for some hunting, self defense and varmint control.

For varmint control, I like the 22LR, but in a SHTF sound might be an issue and do you want a 22LR in hand or something more (see self defense).

I disagree, I have hunted with a .22 before and find it is about shot placement. For defensive purposes, shot placement is a little harder to manager under stress, however; that's that they have 25+round mags for. It's ammo is light, easily stocked, and you can carry a lot of it. You can dump a mag quickly, even if to keep someones head down. No, it's not the best for hunting. No, it's not the best for defense. But used correctly, they will both do.

I would be more afraid of the guy with a 10/22 who has poured 10's of thousands of rounds out of it in training than the ninja's on here who have a tricked out AR with light, red dot, sling, forward grip, but they've put only one mag through.

Finally, if that doesn't sway you, I leave you with this: If you want to volunteer to have the OP dump a mag of .22 high velocity ammo into your chest, or even in your general direction I suggest you rethink your position.

RichJ
08-12-2011, 11:57
Not to be mean, but this is kinda what RW was saying, a .22 isn't exactly a choice weapon except for trigger practice and VERY small game. I still have a few and I love shooting them, but they are quite limited in their utility....

Not true. A well placed shot behind the ear is more than enough to take down a deer. I've seen several that have been brained with a .22 and they were very much dead.

A tackdriving .22 in the hands of a skilled user has as much utility as anything else so I also disagree with that point as well. There is a lot to be said about being able to hit a quarter at 50 yards with open sights.

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 13:38

Fieldcraft > Firepower

Old article. It is not being deployed like that any more.

Additionally, it is silenced. A silenced 22LR used as a hushpuppy is useful.

I will also state that military needs and my/your needs differ. I can not expect reinforcement or air cover or artillery or...

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 13:58
Finally, if that doesn't sway you, I leave you with this: If you want to volunteer to have the OP dump a mag of .22 high velocity ammo into your chest, or even in your general direction I suggest you rethink your position.

I agree shot placement is key with a 22LR. I have seen deer killed with a 22LR it can be done with ease, if, and only if you get the shot and can place the bullet.

Stop volunteering the OP. Why not volunteer yourself? Your argument is stupid, why should I let anyone shoot me. I have been shot before. I didn't like it. Here lets make a deal. I get to shoot you first with my choice of gun and then, well, you will be dead. I guess this isn't much of a deal for you.

I think if two people of equal skill decided to kill each other. Where one brought a 22LR to the scene and the other one brought an AK or AR or pick a military rifle or even a hunting rifle the odds are in favor of the second person walking out of the woods.

cyrsequipment
08-12-2011, 14:03
Not true. A well placed shot behind the ear is more than enough to take down a deer. I've seen several that have been brained with a .22 and they were very much dead.

A tackdriving .22 in the hands of a skilled user has as much utility as anything else so I also disagree with that point as well. There is a lot to be said about being able to hit a quarter at 50 yards with open sights.

If you want to get technical, a slingshot will take down a deer as well. But no one is advocating using it as a hunting weapon of deer.

Just because a .22 CAN be used to take deer, doesn't mean that it should. Most places do not allow a .22 when hunting deer. I'm sure it can be done, but if I'm going to get food, I'm going to bring enough gun.

As for your assertation that a ".22 in the hands of a skilled user has as much utility as anything else", that is a major stretch, at best...

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 14:05
I have said it before and I will say it again. Given the option for getting food on the table or self protection, I would prefer more gun.

A standard stock 22LR is the gun you use when you don't have any others.

If you suppress it, it has more functionality.
If you make it full auto, it has more functionality.
If you put it as part of a combo rifle shotgun, it has more functionality.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 15:00
I agree shot placement is key with a 22LR. I have seen deer killed with a 22LR it can be done with ease, if, and only if you get the shot and can place the bullet.

Stop volunteering the OP. Why not volunteer yourself? Your argument is stupid, why should I let anyone shoot me. I have been shot before. I didn't like it. Here lets make a deal. I get to shoot you first with my choice of gun and then, well, you will be dead. I guess this isn't much of a deal for you.

I think if two people of equal skill decided to kill each other. Where one brought a 22LR to the scene and the other one brought an AK or AR or pick a military rifle or even a hunting rifle the odds are in favor of the second person

walking out of the woods.

I didn't volunteer the OP, I suggesed you volunteer yourself since you said it's not useful for defense or hunting originally. Read it again until you understand.

Amazing how you've suddenly changed your tune about it's viability for hunting. Bravo attacking me by telling me my argument is stupid. You sure showed me with all those "facts". :upeyes:

First you said it was no use for hunting and now you say with shot placement it is. Makeup your mind. And if you think a .22 is nothing for SD, go ahead and let the OP pump a mag into you. Maybe it will cure you of your ignorance. It's amazing how you said you don't recommend it for defense yet you don't want to shot with it. Yes, two people with equal skill, but guess what: as I said, the person with the .22 can afford to train more than the GT commando who has a tricked out AR he's shot once. You have no argument, in fact you keep waffeling like John kerry...

Aceman
08-12-2011, 15:20
To answer the original question: I don't know exactly, however, I would make sure it was easily removable. Nothing will end your guns usefulness faster than smashed glass. So whatever you choose, especially if for SHTF, I'd say make sure it is easy on / easy off and that the irons are in place!

As for the remainder of the posts; I'm completely on board with RW. After 20+ years of serious kung fu, I can walk up to and probably stab you to death with cheap pen. As everyone mentioned, accuracy is important. I'd much rather have a large sword. Master with sword and master with pen - will leave a master with a sword AND a new pen.

I LIKE a .22 as part of my SHTF gear. It is probably the last gun I would part with. Small, light, lot's of ammo, fairly high utility. But it isn't my ONLY SHTF gun, and it is not my PRIMARY SD weapon. Or SECONDARY.

Actually, in SHTF we'd be sporting a Henry Survival tore down and a M&P 15-22, with glass. That comes off with thumb screws and BUIS.

And we have no idea what the OP's intentions are. You guys all just jumped all over everything. But let's get real: You would NEVER recommend a .22 for a CCW/SD/HD weapon for someone who said "I want a gun for protection. I'm thinking about a .22" So let's don't get all in a tizzy here.

.22 is a piss poor choice for SD/HD and you all know it. And nobody is saying it can't/won't take someone big down. We all know it will. And if we had a gun fight where you ran up to a table grabbed a gun at 50 paces, with an AR, an AK, a 12g pump, an Uzi, a Mosin, an M1, and a 10/22, not one of you grab the 10/22.

Chill beyotches. Ask the OP what he wants it for first. All I know is he wants a 10/22 with glass. Not a damm thing wrong with that, except, IMO rough use can break glass.

Now, if it's gonna be his main SD weapon...another story.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 15:26

This inability changed rather quickly after I proved you wrong:

I agree shot placement is key with a 22LR. I have seen deer killed with a 22LR it can be done with ease, if, and only if you get the shot and can place the shot.

Aceman
08-12-2011, 15:42
This inability changed rather quickly after I proved you wrong:

Nope. The key issue in the sustainability is your capability to CONSISTENTLY bring down large enough game, far enough away, in various conditions (scrub, brush, moving fast, etc....

And a .22 WILL NOT DO IT

And read RW's post - "IF AND ONLY IF" That if/only if is virtually impossible over a long period of time when it comes to feeding the family with only the 10/22.

Remember - there will be people out there with 30-30's that you'll be in competition with. They will take the deer far more often than you, in brush, moving, 150 yards or more.

:tongueout:

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 15:51
Nope. The key issue in the sustainability is your capability to CONSISTENTLY bring down large enough game, far enough away, in various conditions (scrub, brush, moving fast, etc....

And a .22 WILL NOT DO IT

And read RW's post - "IF AND ONLY IF" That if/only if is virtually impossible over a long period of time when it comes to feeding the family with only the 10/22.

Remember - there will be people out there with 30-30's that you'll be in competition with. They will take the deer far more often than you, in brush, moving, 150 yards or more.

:tongueout:

The issue is that he said it's inable for hunting, making a general statement, and was wrong. It is able for hunting and he just admited it. Youve obviously never hunted if you dont know what its capable of through brush. Sorry, no one is shooting through giant pine trees with a 30.06 to kill a deer, so your argument holds no water. Please stop trying to defend his original position with this non-sense. Next you will try to tell me its not viable because it wont penetrate a steel plate at 800 yards like a .308. :upeyes:

The .22 can and will kill. So now we got that bs out of the way let's talk about it's ability to kill a person.

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 16:12
I didn't volunteer the OP, I suggesed you volunteer yourself since you said it's not useful for defense or hunting originally. Read it again until you understand.

Amazing how you've suddenly changed your tune about it's viability for hunting. Bravo attacking me by telling me my argument is stupid. You sure showed me with all those "facts". :upeyes:

First you said it was no use for hunting and now you say with shot placement it is. Makeup your mind. And if you think a .22 is nothing for SD, go ahead and let the OP pump a mag into you. Maybe it will cure you of your ignorance. It's amazing how you said you don't recommend it for defense yet you don't want to shot with it. Yes, two people with equal skill, but guess what: as I said, the person with the .22 can afford to train more than the GT commando who has a tricked out AR he's shot once. You have no argument, in fact you keep waffeling like John kerry...

You volunteered the OP to shoot me. And you are doing it again.

I never said that the 22lr couldn't be used for hunting or killing.

I will say it again, your argument is stupid. Why should I let someone shoot me? I could make the same argument that a hammer is adequate for self defense. Come on over and let me hit you on the head with it several times.

My argument has not changed. In a SHTF, the 22LR is not the best tool for the job.

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 16:29
The issue is that he said it's inable for hunting, making a general statement, and was wrong. It is able for hunting and he just admited it. Youve obviously never hunted if you dont know what its capable of through brush. Sorry, no one is shooting through giant pine trees with a 30.06 to kill a deer, so your argument holds no water. Please stop trying to defend his original position with this non-sense. Next you will try to tell me its not viable because it wont penetrate a steel plate at 800 yards like a .308. :upeyes:

The .22 can and will kill. So now we got that bs out of the way let's talk about it's ability to kill a person.

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem tonight. So I will quote myself and then go on to explain myself beyond the quote.

In the first paragraph I didn't mention the 22LR or the Ruger 10-22. The inability of self sustaining hunting in a SHTF situation is what is lacking.

Every hunter I know has gone out hunting and not come back with food. This is in good times. This is with game cameras, bait, no one trespassing, poaching, no natural events screwing with the animals. This is with no bad guys after you. This is the nature of hunting.

Now, add the large population of unprepared people in the USA.

If this is a major TEOTWAWKI, every idiot with a gun will be trying to supplement their food. There are too many people for the number of game animals. They (the animals) will not last long. The guy with a high powered rifle can reach out and touch some animal, or person who has already taken an animal.

If this is not a TEOTWAWKI, you will probably be poaching because seasons are short. You will probably have other obligations like trying to get past this SHTF and get back to your real life.

OH, yes there was that one guy who lived in his truck for x number of years shooting non-game animals with a 22LR ...... This guy didn't have a family. This guy didn't have a life. This guy was breaking the law, trespassing and poaching and who knows what. This guy was for all essence homeless. This guy will have a hard time getting back to normal society.

The idea of living off the land has been shown to not work in the real world. It might have worked back in the 30s when there were less people and less gov. and less....but even then the population to game ratio doesn't work.

cyrsequipment
08-12-2011, 16:30

That isn't what he said, what he was referring to was the same thing that Aceman was talking about. Go back and read what you actually quoted...

Your first quote on the first part of this page talks about the inability to hunt in that type of situation. Not that a .22 will not kill, you read that into his statement.

Aceman
08-12-2011, 16:53
Guys - there is no absolute. Never has been, never will be. I'm talking about the same thing RW is. And the caliber IS a factor.

It has an inherent range, degree of accuracy, stopping power, and ability to damage the game that is relative. If everything was perfect, well just fantastic. But it isn't.

One of those "imperfect" factors to keep you fed is the range of the animal. .22 is going to become inaccurate and lack the stopping/penetration power to kill some of the game.

You WON'T be alone in your imaginary little SHTF. Other people are going to kill more animals that are bigger, better, and in situations you can't. And we are not precluding the from having some #6 for the ratty rabbity things up close too.

So - unless your the Great Spirit In The Sky of all that is hunting, and the perfect shot....You will want more than just the .22

You send you out with just your .22 and me with a 30-30, I promise you will starve first.

And if we get in a fight over some meat, you get one shot it had better happen first, and it had better be perfect. That 30-30 hits your chest anywhere, you won't empty anything except your bowels.

I do not get why people defend a .22 to the death?????? No body is ever arguing it can't kill, isn't dangerous, or useful.

If it is so all powerful why are 10mm?
Why don't the police carry them?
Why isn't the military carrying them? (and .223 is NOT what we are talking about!)
Any of you out there have it as your LONE bug out gun?
Hunters - howe many days a year do you hunt? How many with .22LR?

If it makes you feel better - great. Talk is cheap. What are YOU carrying? I thought so...:rofl:

LongGun1
08-12-2011, 18:48
Guys, guys, guys! :upeyes:

The OP is looking for information on glass for a .22LR used in a SHTF..

..not a slugfest on whether or not .22LR is WORTHY! :whistling:

That being said..

I am as big of a fan of the .22 LR as anyone..

..but it is not a .50 BMG, nor a 7.62x39mm, 5.56x45mm, 7.62x54R, etc..

Each of the above cartridges has its place in a potential SHTF scenario..

..& within its capabilities...so does the .22 LR.

The .22 LR can not penetrate cover like the other cartridges mentioned, does not have the range, is less capable causing incapacitation by exsanguination in a given time as larger calibers with modern expanding bullets, etc

For the majority of shooters... the .22 LR is a good choice for training, taking of small game, a weapon that can be employed by those learning and/or not fielding a larger caliber, etc

That being said....the .22 LR can (in the right hands) kill as quickly (if not more quickly) than a larger caliber fielded by a lesser skilled shooter. It can be suppressed very well, and has been used in that capacity by the Mafia, Mossad, Special Ops & other skilled killers for decades. While it can be employed effectively as a defensive weapon in skilled hands....its best use is in a stealthy offensive role.

If you are capable of making a precise CNS shot under stress..

..like Bella Twin pictured with her single shot .22 rimfire & world record grizzly bear below.. :wow:

(downed with a single .22 LONG..not LR cartridge :shocked: )

..then you belong to the vastly smaller circle of shooters that can use the .22 rimfire to its fullest potential..

..within its limited range & penetration capabilities.

Practice...practice...practice....combined with natural talent & you might be! :thumbsup:

Pounding a keyboard every spare minute...much less likely!

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner/images/GRIZLEY2.JPG

Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella's single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear's head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?

Lone Kimono
08-12-2011, 19:50
Hey, thanks for all the advice so far. By no means is it my primary choice, but a .22 could be a valuable tool when SHTF. I don't think anyone would regret having one.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQSo5VCJic)

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 22:36
Hey, thanks for all the advice so far. By no means is it my primary choice, but a .22 could be a valuable tool when SHTF. I don't think anyone would regret having one.

That is good news.

mac66
08-13-2011, 07:49
I would feel very comfortable with a 10/22 and a pocketful of ammo in a SHTF situation. My favorite scope for a 22 is a 1.5-4.5X variable. Very versatile. Good for close and long range.

One can argue all day about what gun to use in a SHTF situation. However if a 22 is all you have, or is what you are most familiar with or is what you shoot the best, then it might be the best thing for your situation.

While I have been shooting for 50 years, I got a new found respect for a 22 rifle after shooting in a couple Appleseed shoots. Watching kids and women who have never shot before making 200 yard headshots, and putting rounds on target at 400 yards is pretty impressive.

Here are a couple of my 10/22s. Top one has Tech Sights on it. It is every bit at accurate as a scoped rifle. Bottom has a cut down stock for my daughter...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/DSCN0262-1.jpg

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 08:13
While I have been shooting for 50 years, I got a new found respect for a 22 rifle after shooting in a couple Appleseed shoots. Watching kids and women who have never shot before making 200 yard headshots, and putting rounds on target at 400 yards is pretty impressive.

Were they actually making 400 yard shots or were they shooting reduced sized targets?

Aceman
08-13-2011, 10:31
Back on topic:

Make sure it is Quick Release and that the irons are good to go.

I like the idea of a low to medium power variable a lot like mac66 said. Or a scope plus mini red dot.

mac66
08-14-2011, 10:55
Were they actually making 400 yard shots or were they shooting reduced sized targets?

I admit that the 22s were on scaled targets.

However, to prove the concept we took a woman who had just shot Rifleman with a 22 over to the KD (known distance) range. We gave her a Garand, briefed her on it's use. Shooting at 400 yards prone, she missed the first two shots but then put 6 shots on a human sized silhouette target with iron sights.

My point is that properly trained, most people can make head shots at 100 yards with a 22. Any farther than that you ought not be shooting.

DJ Niner
08-14-2011, 20:09
Unless you have a very specific need for something more powerful, anything more than a 2-7x seems to be overkill on a general-purpose rimfire rifle. I have a 2-7x Leupold on my heavy-barreled varmint 10/22, and it works well for 95% of the shots I am offered; I wouldn't put up with the extra weight/bulk of a higher-powered scope for the other 5%. I also have a stainless 10/22 that will eventually reside in my vehicle more-or-less permanently (for general-purpose or emergency use), and I originally thought a 2-7x would be a good fit on it, but I have decided it's just too much scope for most common uses. Like mac66, I have decided on a light/compact variable (1.5-4x or 1-4x) as the best choice for that gun.

RWBlue
08-14-2011, 21:20
I admit that the 22s were on scaled targets.

However, to prove the concept we took a woman who had just shot Rifleman with a 22 over to the KD (known distance) range. We gave her a Garand, briefed her on it's use. Shooting at 400 yards prone, she missed the first two shots but then put 6 shots on a human sized silhouette target with iron sights.

My point is that properly trained, most people can make head shots at 100 yards with a 22. Any farther than that you ought not be shooting.

I was just thinking that little 22LR would have a lot of drop at 400 yards.

I totally agree with you about teaching people with a 22LR carries over to larger rifles and longer REAL distances.

LongGun1
08-14-2011, 22:46
I was just thinking that little 22LR would have a lot of drop at 400 yards.

I shoot fairly regularly out to 165 yards with integral suppressed (subsonic at muzzle) .22 LR ..

(normally freehand with a 1, 2 & 4 MOA dot or irons....mostly carbine or SBR.....sometimes pistol)

..and have to deal with a little holdover then..

..but the drop at 400 is really dramatic....(as in parabolic by then)

..10's of feet with a 25 to 50 yd zero...IIRC! :shocked:

Wind (especially if gusting) also really factors in at longer distances

You can spot your shots to hit at extended distances..

..but it is more of an art than a science! :whistling:

I totally agree with you about teaching people with a 22LR carries over to larger rifles and longer REAL distances.

+1 :thumbsup:

Lone Kimono
08-14-2011, 23:21
I was just at Cabela's this weekend and saw they have their own brand of scopes for .22 rifles. Would they work well? I liked the idea of a red dot and will probably throw one on the other 10/22 I own.

AK_Stick
08-14-2011, 23:46
There are two general trains of thought on glass like you're looking at.

You can buy some cheap stuff, and it will work as long as you're nice to your gun. Or you can buy nice stuff that will last, even when its hard use.

I'm probably one of the hardest here on guns and optics. I have infact broken not only a couple of scopes, but also a pair of rifles. (broken stock, and bent barrel) in the course of using them, and thats not just abusing them, cheap equipment failing.

I wouldn't worry too much about QR mounts on a 22, as I just don't think you're going to be putting that kind of abuse on that type of gun. Scopes are ridiculously robust, and hard to break (atleast good ones). I've seen a bunch of cheaper optics, Tasco, Simmons, Vortex, Burris ect. fail from just general use.

I've never seen the more quality brands break just from use. Save a couple of 30 year old scopes that I had to send back because they were just tired.

I would run a set of detachable bases, on a good 2-7x or 1.5-6x Leupold, or similar bigger brand scope. You don't need anything fancy, custom reticules ect. Just a standard duplex. Works great at any ranges you're likely to use a 22 LR at, and more than enough power for 100-150 yds, and little enough for close range use.

RWBlue
08-15-2011, 17:17
I was just at Cabela's this weekend and saw they have their own brand of scopes for .22 rifles. Would they work well? I liked the idea of a red dot and will probably throw one on the other 10/22 I own.

As I understand it, Cabela's doesn't make their own stuff.

So who is making these scopes?

quake
08-15-2011, 21:23
...I would run a set of detachable bases, on a good 2-7x or 1.5-6x Leupold, or similar bigger brand scope. You don't need anything fancy, custom reticules ect. Just a standard duplex. Works great at any ranges you're likely to use a 22 LR at, and more than enough power for 100-150 yds, and little enough for close range use.

+1 on a lower-end Leupold, or even a Nikon as a second choice. Either can be had for $200 or less, and are very very likely to be a lifetime scope on the gun. I've turned into a big fan of the compact 1-4X Leupold scopes over the last 10-12 years; putting them on AR's, .22's, even single-shot carbines in large pistol calibers. Last christmas I bought one for my son for his AR for that matter. Never had a problem with any of them, but even if bought used off ebay & such, their lifetime warranty is still valid, so you're still covered. Great light-gathering characteristics, can be left at 1X for fast acquisition and immediately cranked up for reaching out there when needed. (Fwiw, the "1-4X" is actually 1.3 to 5.2X if you read the spec book; and a 5.2X scope with good optics is pretty capable.) For almost any shoulder gun that's not going to be used past a couple hundred yards, I recommend them very highly.

dcc12
08-17-2011, 12:25
I think that the 22LR is a very good round for small-med. size game and for SHTF defense. I have worked trauma for the majority of my adult life and have seen hundreds if not more people who have been shot. every one of them was having a very bad day and some were DRT. many with a 22

Aceman
08-17-2011, 19:26
I wouldn't worry too much about QR mounts on a 22, as I just don't think you're going to be putting that kind of abuse on that type of gun. Scopes are ridiculously robust, and hard to break (atleast good ones). I've seen a bunch of cheaper optics, Tasco, Simmons, Vortex, Burris ect. fail from just general use.

I've never seen the more quality brands break just from use. Save a couple of 30 year old scopes that I had to send back because they were just tired.

I hear you there - and don't disagree. i wouldn't expect a quality scope to break unless something drastic happened. I am just a fan of a) Always have irons b) cheap optics and c) S happens.

DJ Niner
08-17-2011, 23:56
Just bolted-down a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x on my stainless folding-stock 10/22.
Seems like a good match, size- and weight-wise.

A local store is closing their doors, and this was the display model (not that you'd be able to tell it from new). $200 + tax.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2443/1022foldedmkarscope.jpg

quake
08-18-2011, 08:25
Just bolted-down a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x on my stainless folding-stock 10/22...

Very good deal on a VERY good scope; better scope than are on my .22's. (I tend to stick with the lower-end VX-2 for that size, but you actually got that better one for about the VX-2 price. :thumbsup: ) Iirc the Mark-AR is made to the same specs as the Mark-4; not sure on that, but heck of a good scope regardless.