I've started saving my brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I've started saving my brass

poodleshooter1
08-11-2011, 13:25
While I have plenty of ammo, I have recently started saving my spent brass just in case. I figure I can either reload if ammo prices skyrocket anymore, or I can sell the brass to reloaders.

cyrsequipment
08-11-2011, 13:31
While I have plenty of ammo, I have recently started saving my spent brass just in case. I figure I can either reload if ammo prices skyrocket anymore, or I can sell the brass to reloaders.

Um... ok...:dunno:

GeorgiaGlockMan
08-11-2011, 13:33
Not a bad plan.

I pick it up too at my local rifle range (because I have to - club rules). I got lots of brass from that.

At my farm, I like to think of brass as tree fertilizer and may kick it out of a pile to make sure it is spread around good (but i do try to shoot mostly berdan primed stuff there).

Akita
08-11-2011, 16:43
I saved my brass for years and just filled up 3L soft drink containers and then threw them under the house. Then one day I started reloading. THEN one day I remembered those jugs. It was like xmas and hitting the lottery combined!

Good decision. Even if you never start reloading your kids or a good friend will be happy with your decision someday.

jdavionic
08-11-2011, 17:28
I started that years ago. Today I've got a brass storage problem and I shoot matches every week and reload fairly often.:supergrin:

poodleshooter1
08-11-2011, 21:15
Yeah, and as often as I shoot, it would be fine to get one of those cheapo reloading setups. Save myself some money and be more self sufficient as well.

Maine1
08-11-2011, 23:36
nobody has plenty of ammo. Nobody has enough ammo.

Ammo is not currently produced in quantities large enough to be considered "enough".

If we spent out entire national debt producing just ONE caliber of ammunition.....it STILL ain't enough.
If we had to plow 45 rounds out of the roads like snow...wait for it...it STILL is not enough.

..so saving brass is a great idea, regardless of caliber.

Ronaldo
08-12-2011, 09:45
If you are not reloading, then you're not serious about 'preparing'. I can foresee a time when factory ammo may be heavily taxed, regulated, or just unavailable. As a bonus, even a beginner can make ammo equal or superior to the factory stuff, and save money besides.

Even if it cost the same, you can tailor your ammo to your specific needs and make as much as you need. I'm still shooting .38 Sp. target loads that I made back in the mid 80's, and they shoot just as good as freshly purchased ammo.

At the very worst, save your brass for barter. It has value!

Ronaldo