1911 for USPSA SS division/ suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 for USPSA SS division/ suggestions

mike g35
08-11-2011, 21:07
I want to get a 1911 for USPSA single stack division competiton. I used to own a Taurus and I briefly had a Rock Island Armory. They were both chambered in 45acp but if I can get one chambered in 9mm or even better 40 cal thats what I would like to do this time. Not that the 45acp isn't a fantastic round it just doesn't lend itself to shooting fast when compared to the 9 or 40. What manufacturer and what model do you suggest for this purpose and why? I want to keep my investment to a minimum like under $1200. I like the S&W's but only because I shoot a 627pc in revolver (ICORE) matches. Anyone have any experience with the S&W pro series 1911 in 9mm? Have you shot any 1911 9's with loads that make major PF?

Quack
08-11-2011, 21:13
STI Trojan can be had in .40 and 9mm. Hey also have a contingency program.

Quack
08-11-2011, 21:14
unless the rules changed, you can't make major with 9mm unless you're shooting open.

mike g35
08-11-2011, 21:33
STI Trojan can be had in .40 and 9mm. Hey also have a contingency program.

I know STI makes some great guns but is the Trojan up to par with the rest of their offerings? What about the Spartan? The thing is, no matter what 1911 I get I am going to send it off to Bruce Warren at BC Armory for some custom work and some tuning. I like to make good guns into great guns and after the job Bruce did on my S&W627pc revolver I wouldn't trust my gun in the hands of anyone else.

Quack
08-11-2011, 21:38
The Trojan is nice. The Spartan is a RIA tactical built to STI's specs
What type of work are you going to have done? Have you thought about having a gun built?

mike g35
08-11-2011, 21:52
I was just thinking about a trigger job and some other basic tuning work. And no I haven't even considered having one built. Reason being when I started building glocks (which I do myself) I ended up with every bell and whistle out there on the first one and then I built (and still am building) 4 more that were more "to the point" but still cost me alot. I have spent over $8000 on 5 Glocks for competiton this year and it's only August. To get into that with the 1911 platform (that costs even more) would probably bankrupt me:tongueout:. I am the type that will spend way to much on a build and I know it so I am leaning more towards a high quality factory gun. I think the STI Trojan may suit my purposes.

Quack
08-11-2011, 21:55
There's also the STI USPSA model

Hokie1911
08-11-2011, 21:57
$8k on 5 Glocks? :faint:

The Trojan is a solid choice. Great gun.

denn1911
08-12-2011, 06:29
The STI Trojan is a nice pistol and should serve you very well. Without trying to go off-topic, what did you put into your Glocks that they averaged $1,600 each?

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 06:34
IMO, 9mm (minor) is the way to go for single stack. Because of production and Limited-10 divisions, stage designers are typically of the 10 round friendly mindset. Typically you give up more on the 2 round capacity than you do for major / minor scoring. (Of course the single stack nationals is the exception, as it's designed exclusively for single stacks).

71Commander
08-12-2011, 06:45
IMO, 9mm (minor) is the way to go for single stack. Because of production and Limited-10 divisions, stage designers are typically of the 10 round friendly mindset. Typically you give up more on the 2 round capacity than you do for major / minor scoring. (Of course the single stack nationals is the exception, as it's designed exclusively for single stacks).

It's supposed to be 8 rounds per array. Not 10.

Unless you can shoot all A's while shooting minor, you're going to be at a BIG disadvantage.

I own 13 1911's and the one I shoot in SS is my STI Trojan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tucker13/STI-Trojan.jpg

CMG
08-12-2011, 07:03
I know STI makes some great guns but is the Trojan up to par with the rest of their offerings? What about the Spartan? The thing is, no matter what 1911 I get I am going to send it off to Bruce Warren at BC Armory for some custom work and some tuning. I like to make good guns into great guns and after the job Bruce did on my S&W627pc revolver I wouldn't trust my gun in the hands of anyone else.

If he's going to be doing the work, why don't you ask Bruce? He might have an opinion on a base gun.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 07:12
It's supposed to be 8 rounds per array. Not 10.

I won't argue that (with emphasis added). However, that's not what I've been seeing, local or major matches. My buddy won Single Stack at Area 8 last year shooting minor. He felt it was a big advantage.

Unless you can shoot all A's while shooting minor, you're going to be at a BIG disadvantage.

You should be shooting all As anyway. :supergrin:

polizei1
08-12-2011, 07:14
I would probably get a Trojan in .40/.45 to make major. The only advantage of the 9mm is lower recoil, but you'll be shooting minor. You would also get to load to 10 rounds instead of 8. I like shooting 9mm though, but I just do it for fun anyway.

71Commander
08-12-2011, 07:25
I won't argue that (with emphasis added). However, that's not what I've been seeing, local or major matches. My buddy won Single Stack at Area 8 last year shooting minor. He felt it was a big advantage.

The way that works out is at port A, you can see T1-2-3-4-5. Which is 10 shots. When you move to port B, you will be able to take T5 from there along with T6-7-8. So you can shoot 1-4, go to the next view and shoot 5-8.

You shouldn't see T1-5 from one spot and not be able to see T5 from another spot.

The only Division doing static reloads are Revo shooters, which I are one.:faint:

blownhemi
08-12-2011, 07:32

You should be shooting all As anyway. :supergrin:

My thoughts exactly. :supergrin:

In theory you should be able to shooter faster and more controllable with the lower power factor gun. So more alpha's.

The reality seems to be that many shooters go for major power factor and just shoot bat**** fast, accepting whatever score they get down range.

I kind of like the controlled option better.

Having said that, we don't have Single Stack here yet but it looks like IPSC is just about to start a Classic Division next year (basically IPSC single stack) and it should be interesting.

I'm going to look at the Spartan and Trojan. I like the Trojan and have shot it a couple times, but it's hard to beat the price of those Spartan's and being 9mm I'm already set-up to reload. If I was going to get the Trojan it would be in 38 Super.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 07:39
The way that works out is at port A, you can see T1-2-3-4-5. Which is 10 shots. When you move to port B, you will be able to take T5 from there along with T6-7-8. So you can shoot 1-4, go to the next view and shoot 5-8.

You shouldn't see T1-5 from one spot and not be able to see T5 from another spot.

The only Division doing static reloads are Revo shooters, which I are one.:faint:

I understand how it's suppose to work. Even if done that way, sometimes it is an advantage to take the 10 rounds from the first position. I guess we'll agree to disagree. :dunno:

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 07:46
Anyone have any experience with the S&W pro series 1911 in 9mm? Have you shot any 1911 9's with loads that make major PF?

The Pro series dresses up really nice for SS Division. Pictured here with Wilson low mount safety, C&S drop in trigger kit, Caspian Dorsal Fin GS, Dawson Sights, and Dawson Magwell.

http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/sw1911ss.jpg

polizei1
08-12-2011, 10:14
What is the difference in 9mm and .38 Super? I know you can get more velocity with near the same pressure, but what else? Unless I'm wrong, both will be minor in SS, both limited to 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to get a Trojan in 9mm/.38 Super for USPSA. So what's the real difference? Brass is harder to find and I would have to buy new dies with .38 Super.

71Commander
08-12-2011, 10:16
What is the difference in 9mm and .38 Super? I know you can get more velocity with near the same pressure, but what else? Unless I'm wrong, both will be minor in SS, both limited to 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to get a Trojan in 9mm/.38 Super for USPSA. So what's the real difference? Brass is harder to find and I would have to buy new dies with .38 Super.

Cost more to shoot with no advantage in scoring.

BlayGlock
08-12-2011, 10:38
I vote Trojan with a Dawson Package

fastluck
08-12-2011, 12:59
I understand how it's suppose to work. Even if done that way, sometimes it is an advantage to take the 10 rounds from the first position. I guess we'll agree to disagree. :dunno:

I have to add my disagreement ;-)

There is a reason why there are only 3 guys in the top 50 at SS Nationals shooting minor. The best finish was BJ Norris at 17th place. The extra rounds are not an advantage...

skdmrklcy
08-12-2011, 13:02
I think the advantage is seen more at lower levels than anything else.

At the highest levels Major is more or less a must.

If I was personally going to buy a gun for just USPSA/IDPA etc... it would be a 9mm 1911. Which is what I am going to do at some point, for now I will shoot my Baer or my M&P Pro.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 13:32
I have to add my disagreement ;-)

There is a reason why there are only 3 guys in the top 50 at SS Nationals shooting minor. The best finish was BJ Norris at 17th place. The extra rounds are not an advantage...

Well, if you look at my previous post.

I think the advantage is seen more at lower levels than anything else.

At the highest levels Major is more or less a must.

If I was personally going to buy a gun for just USPSA/IDPA etc... it would be a 9mm 1911. Which is what I am going to do at some point, for now I will shoot my Baer or my M&P Pro.

I'll give you that. The faster you reload, the less of an advantage the extra rounds are. Of course, just about everyone says they do a 1 second reload. :upeyes:

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 13:34
A well accomplished shooter I travel with said the best way to shoot single stack is to show up at the match with both a major and minor gun. Look over the match, then decide which is better for that particular match. :wavey:

skdmrklcy
08-12-2011, 14:30
I'll give you that. The faster you reload, the less of an advantage the extra rounds are. Of course, just about everyone says they do a 1 second reload. :upeyes:

I think the advantage at the lower level is stage design is going to be more friendly to 10 + 1 as well.

I think if possible to see if it would matter just look at the score if you shoot Minor then add it like Major, see it would make a big enough difference.

I am going to do Minor just because I am 1) Cheap 2) Never going to be good enough for it to matter.

That being said I also have the Dillon website up checking out a setup to load .45....

mike g35
08-12-2011, 14:57
The STI Trojan is a nice pistol and should serve you very well. Without trying to go off-topic, what did you put into your Glocks that they averaged $1,600 each?
:rofl:Everyone asks me that. I have 2 Glocks a G34, a and a G22 with comps, threaded barrels, cmore sights, 2# trigger kits, magwells, uncaptured guiderod w/ wolff springs, and carver mounts. I have a stock G17 w/ a 3# trigger kit in it and a pair of DP adjustable sights installed. A G24 w/ the same in it as the G17 above. A G35 with the slide lightened, cerakote, DP sights, KKM barrel, magwell, etc. everything you could dream of in a great USPSA limited pistol. And all of my guns have extended controls and some finish work. Basically I don't take my Glocks half way. I either make them into the best racegun possible by using the best parts available (regardless of the cost) or I leave them as I bought them. Here's my guestimate on the price of a few of them
G34= $2200 G22=$1750 G35=$1650 G24=$1150 G17=$1050 S&W627PC=$2000 Total=$9800:shocked:
So actually $8000 was a low ball guess. And before you judge me for doing it you have to get a glock set it up like mine and shoot it. They are incredibly fast and flat shooters with awesome accuracy. Bobby Carver builds the absolute best Glock parts out there. Now you see why I don't don't want to spend alot of money on the 1911. I bought and built all those glocks and the one revolver over the last 6 months.

skdmrklcy
08-12-2011, 15:35
I was going to say before when you get into the purpose built race guns that is not all that bad per gun for investment.

I think it would be cool to someday build a open gun but it is not going to happen anytime soon. A few other wants/needs have to be filled first. Up next for me I think is actually going to be a reloading press.

mike g35
08-12-2011, 16:07
I was going to say before when you get into the purpose built race guns that is not all that bad per gun for investment.

I think it would be cool to someday build a open gun but it is not going to happen anytime soon. A few other wants/needs have to be filled first. Up next for me I think is actually going to be a reloading press.

Just a heads up, my Glock raceguns are done to the extreme. Actually you can get a "decent" open gun for the cost of the Barrel, comp., and a slide mounted red dot (which isn't nearly as good as a stationary mount). But like I said it will only be decent. If you own a Glock (or an XD or an M&P) go to B&B Enterprise online and check out Bobby Carvers aftermarket parts. They are the best I have ever used and I have used pretty much every manufacturer out there. Contact Bobby at carvermounts@msn.com and he will help you out with any project you want to do. I built my first open gun one piece at a time. That may be what you need to do if you don't have the bulk some for all of the parts.

blownhemi
08-14-2011, 02:32
Cost more to shoot with no advantage in scoring.

38 super seems to work better in the 1911 platform than 9mm. Seen a lot of guys struggling with reliability in 9mm 1911's