The problem with stocking premium JHP in large quantities [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The problem with stocking premium JHP in large quantities

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 01:41
I have 7K rounds of premium handgun JHP (Gold Dot and Ranger Talon). I bought most of it when it was about $20 a box or less. Trouble is, that even if I go through a 50rd box every year (I don't even go through half of that if at all) it will last me several lifetimes.

Now, that would seem great, problem is that the value of this stuff will go down when newer JHP's come onto the market a decade from now. Should I sell some of it off and make some money off it since it's currently worth more than I paid for it?

Another thought is to trade some of it for some premium .223 JHP, of which I have none. Just Ulyanovsk ammo...

Why did I buy so much premium JHP? I saw the panic coming before 2008 and started buying it before the panic and price craze. I remember this ammo selling for $55 a box online (assuming anyone had some in stock)!! So I guess part of me is prepped for a supply SHTF. But of course, I don't need THAT much. Could barter it though...

TangoFoxtrot
08-12-2011, 03:13
Keep it! Or trade like you said for some .223 Not only will you be prepared and well armed you will have a bartering currency. Think about it....no shelf life.

LongGun1
08-12-2011, 05:18
Trouble is, that even if I go through a 50rd box every year (I don't even go through half of that if at all) it will last me several lifetimes.

My take.....is how much do you practice total?

Also...Do you have parents, girlfriend, wife, kids, friends, etc that practice with your ammo?

Do you shoot a lot of .22 LR, then ball ammo, then just a few of your premium rounds?

Or is most or all of your practice with your JHP?

Regardless...you are averaging 2 (or less) rounds of your best carry ammo a month in practice.. :whistling:

..& IMO... you might want to "step it up a notch... or 10"! :tongueout:

Skill sets are like a knife...needs to be honed frequently to be sharpest! :supergrin:

For example...besides my other practice with .22LR (90+ %)..

(and not including rifle ammo...rifles tend to get the most range time with me & mine)

..and practice with hotter FMJ..

..I might go thru a box or two of premium pistol ammo a session..

..more if with friends and/or family!

quake
08-12-2011, 05:49
...the value of this stuff will go down when newer JHP's come onto the market a decade from now. Should I sell some of it off and make some money off it since it's currently worth more than I paid for it?...

Imo, don't sell it. When something "new & better" comes out (and it llikely will), that won't have any degrading effect on the stuff you have; it'll still be as good as it ever was. My two primary 9mm carry loads are examples of this very thing. One is a newish load - the winchester ranger talon RA9TA; probably been out 10-12 years - and one is an old load - Federal 9BPLE. The RA9TA is probably a little "better", but fact is the 9BPLE has a 20- or 30-year track record of doing very good things. Frankly, the new 124-grain +P gold dot may be as good as either of them actually.

My point is simply that while we all want the newest & best, the fact that something newer & better comes on the market doesn't functionally detract at all from what was on the market yesterday. I understand the arguments of "carry the best that's available", "how much is your life worth", etc, but I just don't see it. If my 9BPLE (or your GD & RT) worked yesterday, they'll work just as well today.

I still like, trust & stock both of those loads. Main reason I went back to the 9BPLE after a couple-year stint with solely the RA9TA is frankly cost. I like to actually shoot my carry load fairly regularly - not as much as some, but typically a couple magazines at the end of each range session. And the cost of doing so is a genuine factor; no way around that. The new (and very good) gold dot +P runs about a $1.10 a round nowadays.:faint: The RA9TA runs about 60 cents per round, and the 9BPLE is about 36 cents per round. Since I see any of them as more than adequate for personal defense use (and I do; ymmv), I'd rather have and shoot three times as much ammo for the same cost if possible, and the older 9BPLE lets me do that.

Not sure if you're talking about 9mm or what caliber, and you mention that you stocked up on the gold dots & ranger talons when those loads were less than $20/50. If it's 9mm, the only way I'd consider selling it is if I could do so at a substantial profit, and then spend that money on a larger quantity of 9BPLE, since 9BPLE is still less than $20/50, and is as effective as it ever was.

eracer
08-12-2011, 05:55
1. Buy a full-auto subgun.
2. Shoot it.

Problem solved.

cyrsequipment
08-12-2011, 06:11
2. Shoot it.

Problem solved.

That seems like a solution to a LOT of "problems"... Good thinking!:supergrin:

LongGun1
08-12-2011, 07:17
If it's 9mm, the only way I'd consider selling it is if I could do so at a substantial profit, and then spend that money on a larger quantity of 9BPLE, since 9BPLE is still less than $20/50, and is as effective as it ever was.

Good Post! :thumbsup:

The 9BPLE is one of my longtime favorite loads, a mature street proven stopper & the "premium JHP" 9mm pistol rounds I practice with most!

Though I stock a decent quantity of it..

..I would not mind having a few more cases! :supergrin:

That being said..

..I am a firm believer in placement trumps bullet construction..

..& bullet construction trumps caliber!

And placement gets better with practice...

..practice takes ammo! :supergrin:

YMMV

jellis11
08-12-2011, 07:40
id go for some .223 if you have none

AK_Stick
08-12-2011, 08:03
Whats the point in stocking 7K rounds if you never shoot it?

I mean I've got waaay more than 7K, but at the rate I shoot, I rotate most of my stock on a yearly, or bi-yearly basis.

NDCent
08-12-2011, 08:20
They will kill a decade or two from now just as well as they do today.

Ronaldo
08-12-2011, 09:35
I wish I had such a bad problem...:crying:

Take my advice and hang on to it. It is tempting to cash out of stored ammo when you're short of money, or see some new shiny toy. But in the long term you will regret it.

I had about 25 cases of Chinese 7.62x39 in spam cans that was taking up a lot of space some years ago, and since I had so much I figured selling most of it off for some extra $$$ would be a smart idea. Then, overnight, the imports were cut off! I had paid about $60 a case for it and by selling it for $75, thought I was making a killing. I still grieve when I think of it.

There is NEVER too much ammo, regardless if it's .22, 7.62. or 9mm defensive rounds. Just sit on it. Ten years from now it will be worth its weight in gold, literally.

Ronaldo

RichJ
08-12-2011, 09:45
I wouldn't worry about the value of those rounds going down. It will be a long time before anything replaces a premium bonded bullet like Gold Dots or Golden Sabers. Besides, those bullets aren't going to go bad or become any less effective just because a new bullet design somes out.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 10:07
Mostly shoot .22 or ball. I have conversion kits and a stock of fmj for practice...I just saw what was coming and kept buying when I had the opp.

UneasyRider
08-12-2011, 10:11
Keep it, they will be just as dead with it as any new stuff.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 10:34
Whats the point in stocking 7K rounds if you never shoot it?

I mean I've got waaay more than 7K, but at the rate I shoot, I rotate most of my stock on a yearly, or bi-yearly basis.

You have 7K rounds of premium JHP huh?

I have way more ammo than that, we are talking about JHP here though, not the Wolf you stock for your AR.

cyrsequipment
08-12-2011, 10:55

I have way more ammo than that, we are talking about JHP here though, not the Wolf you stock for your AR.

What was the point of that comment?

jellis11
08-12-2011, 11:04
you could set 1k on fire for the fourth of july!?

RatDrall
08-12-2011, 11:12
They will kill a decade or two from now just as well as they do today.

This sums up the whole post.

BTW you can find great deals on "old technology" JHPs that worked well for a long time, and will continue to do so.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM406-5.html

sebecman
08-12-2011, 11:14
What was the point of that comment?

I think he was just pointing out that his stash is premium ammo and if AKstick is practicing with more than 7K rounds a year he is likely shooting a lesser grade, like wolf.

I don't think there are many who would routinely burn up $5,000+ worth of gold dots at the range.

:wow:

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 11:19
Sebecman got it.

93GT
08-12-2011, 11:29
I hate my lawnmower...

This animal keeps eating my garden...

Some guy parked too close to my car in the parking garage with his...

2. Shoot it.

Problem solved.

This is a nearly univeral solution, I like it.

OP, I would personally fill in the gaps in ammo that you aren't so well of in and wait to sell this stuff the next time there is an ammo "crisis" if I were you. Just my 2 cents.

poodleshooter1
08-12-2011, 11:36
I hate my lawnmower...

This animal keeps eating my garden...

Some guy parked too close to my car in the parking garage with his...

This is a nearly univeral solution, I like it.

OP, I would personally fill in the gaps in ammo that you aren't so well of in and wait to sell this stuff the next time there is an ammo "crisis" if I were you. Just my 2 cents.

I think you're right. I need some brass cased .223

R_W
08-12-2011, 13:11
Your ROI isn't as good as gold would have been, but better than any stock you could have invested in....

TheJ
08-12-2011, 13:18
2. Shoot it.

Problem solved.
Excellent solution.

That seems like a solution to a LOT of "problems"... Good thinking!:supergrin:

Thats exactly what was thinking.

RWBlue
08-12-2011, 14:30
Should I sell some of it off and make some money off it since it's currently worth more than I paid for it?

Yes and you should have done it in the middle of the panic.

I decided that 500 rounds per caliber was enough for me.
I also decided that I like M855 and M193 for general use. I think I would be best by hand loading some other ammo, but....

Ruble Noon
08-12-2011, 15:37
Now, that would seem great, problem is that the value of this stuff will go down when newer JHP's come onto the market a decade from now. Should I sell some of it off and make some money off it since it's currently worth more than I paid for it?

I don't know about that. I am still buying and carrying old school Silvertips and Winchester Ranger's, which are a repackaged Black Talon and they still bring a fair price.

Kevin108
08-12-2011, 16:09
For the price you paid then compared to prices now, even if you do you just it as plinking ammo, it's only slightly more expensive. Penetration number, expansion diameter and velocities aside: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

cowboy1964
08-12-2011, 16:14
I don't see much improvement over Gold Dots coming along any time soon. Maybe some exotic new materials or something which would result in more guaranteed expansion, but the current tech is pretty darn good.

What caliber? If it's an expensive caliber, just shoot more of it.

LongGun1
08-12-2011, 19:21
I wish I had such a bad problem...:crying:

Take my advice and hang on to it. It is tempting to cash out of stored ammo when you're short of money, or see some new shiny toy. But in the long term you will regret it.

I had about 25 cases of Chinese 7.62x39 in spam cans that was taking up a lot of space some years ago, and since I had so much I figured selling most of it off for some extra $$$ would be a smart idea. Then, overnight, the imports were cut off! I had paid about $60 a case for it and by selling it for $75, thought I was making a killing. I still grieve when I think of it.

There is NEVER too much ammo, regardless if it's .22, 7.62. or 9mm defensive rounds. Just sit on it. Ten years from now it will be worth its weight in gold, literally.

Ronaldo

OUCH......but good post! :thumbsup:

Keng's Match.....those were the good ole days of inexpensive good times! :supergrin:

We killed literally hundreds of cases of Keng's back then! :whistling:

Up to 1,440 rounds of copper washed steel core perfection.... no more! :crying:

Aceman
08-12-2011, 20:49
This sums up the whole post.

BTW you can find great deals on "old technology" JHPs that worked well for a long time, and will continue to do so.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM406-5.html

oooh - I prefer 124+p, but that old skool kool will work just fine for 17 bones / 50. :wow::wow:

quake
08-12-2011, 21:04
oooh - I prefer 124+p, but that old skool kool will work just fine for 17 bones / 50. :wow::wow:

Well, gosh; I guess somebody should have mentioned that earlier... :dunno:

:tongueout:

lawman800
08-13-2011, 00:58
To put it another way, the 9BPLE is a known quantity in its performance. It works over 90% of the time in street shootings according to Sanow. Unless the bad guys now are built differently than before, the 9BPLE will still perform the same way. The latest and greatest ammo does not diminish what the 9BPLE can do. It's an unrelated and irrelevant fact.

AK_Stick
08-13-2011, 01:12

I have more than 7K rounds of duty ammo on hand. But like I said I shoot it, and rotate my stock fairly often.

But like I said, whats the point of keeping tons of ammo you don't shoot?

ScrappyDoo
08-13-2011, 06:20
I buy what I was going to say 'a lot' of semi-premium to premium JHPs to stock up, actually a lot of my main caliber .40 S&W in JHP when I bought a LWD barrel specifically to buy and stock cheap 9mm ball as cheap as possible, cheap and deep.

Not anywehre near as much as you though- which makes me jealous but not feel so bad. I just figured, I'd want good stuff IF it came to the point where I needed my ammo stash to survive on and protect me and mine etc.

One thing I've said before, Remington has a Walmart package of ammo, maybe more like it I don't know, but my area, 100 JHP .40S&W rounds for like 32? I guess it's 16 a box of 50 JHP, which is cheaper than quite a bit of their even cheap-branded, cheap priced 40 ball ammo. I remember I went to buy a few hundred but the only thing cheaper was maybe Fed Champion at 15 a box, I figured, why not, for a dollar more?

RYNOCG201
08-13-2011, 06:37
I don't see much improvement over Gold Dots coming along any time soon.

This is what I was thinking. You have some great quality ammo there, keep It! It's better to have to much than not enough and you already know it functions in your gun(s) and that's an added bonus!

RYNOC

Akita
08-13-2011, 07:57
Trade it for calibers you need. You have then locked in your premium ammo price for your lifetime.

Cavalry Doc
08-13-2011, 08:06
If you have more of anything than you can use in a lifetime, then trade it for cash or something else, unless there is nothing else you need/want.

Warp
08-13-2011, 13:17
I have 7K rounds of premium handgun JHP (Gold Dot and Ranger Talon). I bought most of it when it was about $20 a box or less. Trouble is, that even if I go through a 50rd box every year (I don't even go through half of that if at all) it will last me several lifetimes.

Another thought is to trade some of it for some premium .223 JHP, of which I have none. Just Ulyanovsk ammo...

Why did I buy so much premium JHP? I saw the panic coming before 2008 and started buying it before the panic and price craze. I remember this ammo selling for $55 a box online (assuming anyone had some in stock)!! So I guess part of me is prepped for a supply SHTF. But of course, I don't need THAT much. Could barter it though...

You need to shoot it more.

You also need to put 200+ rounds of it through every pistol you use it in for defensive purposes.

To me that is a ***** ton of JHP, especially the good stuff.

lawman800
08-13-2011, 13:23
I don't have any preference, really. Ammo is ammo. I stock mostly 5.56 fmj which works just fine. My pistol ammo is mostly jhp. I get work issued ammoso I stock up on whatever they give me.

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 14:58
I don't know about that. I am still buying and carrying old school Silvertips and Winchester Ranger's, which are a repackaged Black Talon and they still bring a fair price.

Old Silver tip or new silver tip?

They redesigned it, but didn't change the name.

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 15:07
I don't see much improvement over Gold Dots coming along any time soon. Maybe some exotic new materials or something which would result in more guaranteed expansion, but the current tech is pretty darn good.

What caliber? If it's an expensive caliber, just shoot more of it.

That is the thing about the future, you really can never tell what it will bring.

Can I get some depleted uranium, titanium jacketed, polymer tipped, pre-fragmented (Tri-ton quickshock style) 260gr, .452 diameter, 45ACP +P with a velocity of around 1K fps which will get 16 inches of penetration in humans, but doesn't penetrate drywall? (or some other crazy idea)

lawman800
08-13-2011, 15:26
I am just going to use my Lawgiver 2 with the voice programmable mission variable ammunition.

fx77
08-13-2011, 15:41
Gee If I practice once weekly an use 200 rounds per session...that would be a case (1000) a month..wouldn't even last a year. :)

kirgi08
08-13-2011, 15:45
I use ball ta practice,I'll never have enough jhp.'08.