Dirty judge sentenced. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dirty judge sentenced.

Detectorist
08-12-2011, 06:51
I applaud the Federal judge who threw out the original plea agreement!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/12/pennsylvania.judge.sentenced/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Edit:

I read somewhere that the kid took his own life when he was 24. That's 6 years after being sent to jail by the dirty judge. Hard to prove they're related.

razdog76
08-12-2011, 07:17
His appearance in court would have been better assured by being denied bail before trial in GP. The idea that behavior like this is acceptable for profit, let alone for any reason disgusts me.

How about reimbursing the tax payers for having to pay for incarceration?

Vigilant
08-12-2011, 07:20
Sometimes it pays to raise a stink. At least some good eventually came from her son's death.

Straight Pipe
08-12-2011, 08:04
There are so many aspects to this story that need addressing:

Ciavarella was found guilty in February of 12 of 39 racketeering and fraud charges for accepting millions of dollars in bribes from friends who owned detention centers to which he sent juveniles. (Private prisons and private police forces can only exist if they MAKE A PROFIT. A recipe for corruption

Sandy Fonzo's 17-year-old son, Edward Kenzakowski, spent six months in a detention center after Ciavarella sentenced him for possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Fonzo, her son, who had no prior record, was never able to recover and eventually took his own life. [COLOR="red"](He was a drug addict = no great loss.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He (Ciavarella) killed his spirit," Fonzo said at the time, "He crushed him, and he didn't help him." Fonzo said her son was full of resentment and pent-up anger after being sent to the detention center.

"He was just never the same," Fonzo said. (She should have been a better parent.)
She said in February she came to the courthouse believing Ciavarella would be taken straight to jail. But when she found out he was going home and would not be sentenced until later, she was shocked and angered, and began shouting at Ciavarella. (Another low-life parent who can only blame someone else for her kid's stupid actions.)
Bottom line is: This kid had a whole bunch of other problems prior to being sentenced to a detention facility (mainly his mommy), she enabled her son to become loser drug addict and the end result would have eventually been the same.

Detectorist
08-12-2011, 11:25
There are so many aspects to this story that need addressing:

Ciavarella was found guilty in February of 12 of 39 racketeering and fraud charges for accepting millions of dollars in bribes from friends who owned detention centers to which he sent juveniles. (Private prisons and private police forces can only exist if they MAKE A PROFIT. A recipe for corruption

Sandy Fonzo's 17-year-old son, Edward Kenzakowski, spent six months in a detention center after Ciavarella sentenced him for possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Fonzo, her son, who had no prior record, was never able to recover and eventually took his own life. [COLOR=red](He was a drug addict = no great loss.)
"He (Ciavarella) killed his spirit," Fonzo said at the time, "He crushed him, and he didn't help him." Fonzo said her son was full of resentment and pent-up anger after being sent to the detention center.

"He was just never the same," Fonzo said. (She should have been a better parent.)
She said in February she came to the courthouse believing Ciavarella would be taken straight to jail. But when she found out he was going home and would not be sentenced until later, she was shocked and angered, and began shouting at Ciavarella. (Another low-life parent who can only blame someone else for her kid's stupid actions.)
Bottom line is: This kid had a whole bunch of other problems prior to being sentenced to a detention facility (mainly his mommy), she enabled her son to become loser drug addict and the end result would have eventually been the same.

Please tell me you're not a Cop.

"He was a drug addict = no great loss".

Yes it is. It's a human life. Could have been anyone's child.

She should have been a better parent

How can you know from this article that she wasn't a good parent? There are many reasons why kids become addicted to drugs. Many of them have good parents.

You assume to much, sir.

So instead of raging against the dirty judge, you choose to do so against one of the victims. Way to go.

razdog76
08-12-2011, 11:54
Please tell me you're not a Cop.

"He was a drug addict = no great loss".

Yes it is. It's a human life. Could have been anyone's child.

She should have been a better parent

How can you know from this article that she wasn't a good parent? There are many reasons why kids become addicted to drugs. Many of them have good parents.

You assume to much, sir.

So instead of raging against the dirty judge, you choose to do so against one of the victims. Way to go.

I agree with Detectorist. Anymore, some use of illegal drugs is very common, ask anyone involved in police officer recruitment. It doesn't make it right, but it still happens.

At any rate, kids make mistakes while growing up, and what kind of drug paraphernalia would result in an adult being incarcerated for six months?

MeefZah
08-12-2011, 19:57
That's craziness; it is hard for me to believe this **** happens in America. That's South America / East European level corruption right there.

Hack
08-12-2011, 20:42
That's craziness; it is hard for me to believe this **** happens in America. That's South America / East European level corruption right there.

Yeah, there is some crazy stuff that happens right within our own borders. I cannot recount all of the inmates that I have seen or heard of, concerning people in positions of public trust, from the lowly CO to the federal judge, and the various elected politicians who have darkened the door of a federal joint because of their convictions. Right now we have ex LEO in disgrace in my joint for various reasons, and will of course never be in that career field again. Politicians on the other hand could come back in their respective areas, depending on the public's attitude concerning them.

razdog76
08-12-2011, 21:19
Politicians on the other hand could come back in their respective areas, depending on the public's attitude concerning them.

All we can hope for is that his license to practice law be revoked, and one of the convictions be of moral turpitude to prevent him from running for an elected office.

Hack, you certainly have that pegged... just think, if his name was only Kennedy.

Arc Angel
08-12-2011, 21:46
Ciavarella got most of what he deserved. There wasn't just one or two families torn apart by what Mark Ciavarella did - There are dozens!

As for the poster who said that privatizing prisons is an invitation to corruption? You are, oh so, right!

Here in Pennsylvania everyone, from the local judges to the county commissioners, has a way of getting, 'his beak into the pie'.

Naelbis
08-13-2011, 02:03
I agree with Detectorist. Anymore, some use of illegal drugs is very common, ask anyone involved in police officer recruitment. It doesn't make it right, but it still happens.

At any rate, kids make mistakes while growing up, and what kind of drug paraphernalia would result in an adult being incarcerated for six months?
Pretty common for us to send people to jail or prison for drug paraphernalia here. Marijuana para is an A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail. Everything else is a C felony and can get you up to 5 years in the pen. :dunno:

razdog76
08-13-2011, 07:58
Pretty common for us to send people to jail or prison for drug paraphernalia here. Marijuana para is an A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail. Everything else is a C felony and can get you up to 5 years in the pen. :dunno:

Six months tops for paraphernalia, but I don't think I have ever seen someone serve more than 30 days. If the drug is something other than marijuana, it will most likely be a felony which of course carries a lot more weight.

There is no way a juvenile would serve that here, ours are housed in a regional facility. Most likely get paper, and drug treatment if necessary, I seriously doubt they would serve a day, since I can't get the PO's to take violators without them having committed a violent offense.

Ohio has closed 5 or 6 prisons closed in the last year including the residential treatment center in my county, so I don't see lengthy prison sentences for anyone.

DaBigBR
08-13-2011, 11:56
Wow...possession of drug paraphernalia, regardless of what type it is and/or what it's for is a simple misdmeanor here - maximum $500 fine and/or 30 days county jail. Typical fine is $50 or $100 and jail would be unheard of. Now, any residue in the paraphernalia is technically still a controlled substance and can be charged accordingly.

screwman
08-13-2011, 14:04
Ciavarella got most of what he deserved. There wasn't just one or two families torn apart by what Mark Ciavarella did - There are dozens!

As for the poster who said that privatizing prisons is an invitation to corruption? You are, oh so, right!

Saying privatization invites corruption is like saying guns kill people!!!

razdog76
08-13-2011, 16:40

Ironically, people operate both. So, out of curiosity how did you develop your opinion?

Arc Angel
08-13-2011, 20:56

:upeyes: Yeah, what do I know? I only live a few short miles from the subject facility, and have followed this case in the local press and on TV for years now.

Awhile back we even had a prominent local official voluntarily remove himself from office amid allegations concerning his, albeit, indirect personal involvement in the construction of a similar quasi-public facility on which he stood to make many tens of thousands of dollars.

Then, there's the current scandal about taxpayer dollars (A whole lot of them!) paid out to corporate contractors who, since the Clinton administration, have been allowed to directly supply the now privatized American military forces; but, again, what do I know? :dunno:

screwman
08-14-2011, 06:28
:upeyes: Yeah, what do I know? I only live a few short miles from the subject facility, and have followed this case in the local press and on TV for years now.

Awhile back we even had a prominent local official voluntarily remove himself from office amid allegations concerning his, albeit, indirect personal involvement in the construction of a similar quasi-public facility on which he stood to make many tens of thousands of dollars.

Then, there's the current scandal about taxpayer dollars (A whole lot of them!) paid out to corporate contractors who, since the Clinton administration, have been allowed to directly supply the now privatized American military forces; but, again, what do I know? :dunno:

So, what you're saying is, it's the public officials that are corrupt:wavey:

IndyGunFreak
08-14-2011, 06:44
Got what he deserved, pure and simple.

Watching the video though, the kid looked like he had some problems. The mother even admits the kid was involved w/ people he shouldn't have been, doing things he shouldn't have been doing... etc..