Going Solo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo

LilWolfess
08-12-2011, 13:03
...er...Kimber Solo that is.

I LOVE the way they shoot. Recoil feels WAY less than my G26, possibly even comparable to my Sig 238.

No pictures yet. Have any other ladies handled or owned one of these yet?

MrsKitty
08-16-2011, 21:47
I've never gotten to shoot any Kimber but I have fondled many and I loved the way each and every one of them felt in my hand. Perfect doesn't begin to describe it. They just feel amazing in my hand.

I freely admit it: I'm jealous. :supergrin:

1200feather
08-25-2011, 06:16
I've looked at it in my quest to find the perfect pocketable carry gun. I love the styling, but it's a little heavier than I'd like. How does it shoot? Any issues yet? What is the trigger pull like - I believe it's single action?

rv4driver
08-30-2011, 21:10
LilWolfess...I've not shot a G26, so can't compare, but my G19 and G17 are *****cats compared to the Solo.

BTW, I'm not a lady, but thought some addl. info could be helpful.

I carry one daily. It's not single action. It's a striker fired 1911 look-alike, and the pull is a lot longer than a single action 1911, but really smooth with a good let-off. It is a bit on the heavy side, but believe me, that's a good thing. It does have a nice feel in the hand. Much better ergonimics than my Walther PPS. It has a pretty stout recoil, especially for the size of the grip. It's plenty accurate, mine became reliable after a trip back to Kimber for the mag catch rework. It likes to have the mags loaded a while before it becomes fail free. It takes a lot to rack the slide with a full mag, there's a lot of pressure on the slide from the top round with six in the mag. Also, initially it's not that easy to get a sixth round in the mag. I got a spare mag for 17 bucks at a gun store, that is amazing these days. It's small and thin, both good for carry. I wouldn't recommend it for a day of shooting at the range, and I've got pretty strong hands and forearms! I'd rather shoot my Commander size 1911 or .357 magnum Smith revolver than this thing, but the Solo is a lot easier to conceal.

Jeff

LilWolfess
09-28-2011, 22:49
I've looked at it in my quest to find the perfect pocketable carry gun. I love the styling, but it's a little heavier than I'd like. How does it shoot? Any issues yet? What is the trigger pull like - I believe it's single action?

Sorry for the slow response. My summer/falls are stupidly busy, and computer time is a luxury.

I personally liked the weight almost solely for the sake of how "solid" (not exactly the right word for it) it feels in your hands compared to holding an LCP, TCP, or even the Taurus 709.

I want to say the trigger pull is a lot like a Glock, with the exception of it being much much smoother. Where the Glock has a slight catch and heavier pull just before the gun fires, the Solo has none. The weight of pull is similar, but so so so much smoother.

As the other poster posted, it's not a single action. However, it is one of the lightest and smoothest triggers I've felt on this type of gun.

I had an issue with some failures to extract and the slide wouldn't stay back on an empty magazine, so back to Kimber it went. So far, customer service has been fantastic.

Back to shooting, it feels like it has less kick than my G26. This could be due to more manageable recoil thanks to the gun fitting my hand better. I am more accurate with it than I am with my G26. That even being true with far fewer rounds though the Solo compared to the Glock.

I'll find out more later, and report back. It's been a week since Kimber took possession to correct the issues.