New Cinci PD chief does away with hats, mandatory long sleeves [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Cinci PD chief does away with hats, mandatory long sleeves

MeefZah
08-12-2011, 21:54
Who is this man and what has he done with a real police administrator? :rofl:

"The chief pretty well figures we're all adults and if we get cold, we'll put on a long-sleeved shirt or a coat," Luebbe said.

Prior to this change, officers were assigned certain dates to switch from long sleeves to short and all supervisors at the captain's rank or above were ordered to always wear long-sleeved shirts with ties. Hats were mandatory.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110809/NEWS0108/108100336/

dano1427
08-13-2011, 00:39
The modern age. Now, get rid of those white shirts...

NkySpike
08-13-2011, 00:49
I bet you they are glad, they can stop cleaning their "white" hats now...

Never really understood why they (Cin) chose white hats and white shirts, knowing so hard to keep clean.

siblueg
08-13-2011, 09:43
Good for them they have one the ugliest uniforms I have seen

CAcop
08-13-2011, 10:09
Congrats Cincy welcome to 1978.

Billua
08-13-2011, 10:29
Now, get rid of the ties! :rofl:

bccop
08-13-2011, 10:43
Two hats a year!?!?! I still have my original hat that I was issued almost 12 years ago. Of course mine isn't white and I wear mine only when it rains.

ray9898
08-13-2011, 10:47
Now work on the white shirts.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-13-2011, 11:18
CPD wears my academy cadet uniform..... That's all I see when I look at their officers. :whistling:

Our shift supervisors determine if we wear our hats or not. My Sergeant loves them. :steamed: Oh well, he's a great guy so I don't complain about it (not to him anyway.....).

I do, however, have an issue with having specific dates to wear short/long sleeves. Last year we had to wear long sleeves in 80+ degree heat for a weekend because the Chief would not relax the rule during a heat wave in October. Just like this new guy in Cincinnati says, we are grown ups and can determine for ourselves if we are hot or cold.

mrsurfboard
08-13-2011, 11:28
Bravo Chief, forward thinking. Too many brass holes who make these uniform rules haven't worn one in years.

DaBigBR
08-13-2011, 11:54
We used to have two dates for sleeve length, an optional date and a mandatory date. We finally got rid of that, as have many other departments in the area. I think that the "uniform appearance" argument is baseless when it comes to sleeve length, especially when you have guys with different types of gear, sew-on vs. pin on insignia, coat/jacket or not, hat or not, etc.

bccop
08-13-2011, 12:26
We are the same when it comes to uniform shirts. Wear what you want when you want. The only rule is you cannot wear long sleeve undershirts under short sleeve uniform shirts which I think is fair.

mrsurfboard
08-13-2011, 12:43
We used to have two dates for sleeve length, an optional date and a mandatory date. We finally got rid of that, as have many other departments in the area. I think that the "uniform appearance" argument is baseless when it comes to sleeve length, especially when you have guys with different types of gear, sew-on vs. pin on insignia, coat/jacket or not, hat or not, etc.

We have that now, also all officers on the shift have to dress the same during that time in between optional and mandatory.

DonGlock26
08-13-2011, 13:35

LOL! :rofl::rofl:

rhikdavis
08-13-2011, 13:37
Two hats a year!?!?! I still have my original hat that I was issued almost 12 years ago. Of course mine isn't white and I wear mine only when it rains.

I bet you get alot of citations thrown out, eh?

SPIN2010
08-13-2011, 13:52

I guess Mark Twain was wrong, Cincinnati more than twenty years behind. :supergrin:

trdvet
08-13-2011, 15:35
Whattt!?!?!?!?!?! Change a uniform for the better at a police department? CALEA will smite him for this.

OldCurlyWolf
08-13-2011, 15:38
We are the same when it comes to uniform shirts. Wear what you want when you want. The only rule is you cannot wear long sleeve undershirts under short sleeve uniform shirts which I think is fair.
That matches what we had for uniform rules. But we had to wear hats when outside. :steamed:

golls17
08-13-2011, 22:38
Now, get rid of the ties! :rofl:

You beat me to it!

golls17
08-13-2011, 22:41
We have a transition month for sleeves, I think it's up to the weather and the supervisor. We have a summer hat, a winter hat, and a "mouton". Mouton is worn at the supervisor's discretion. And yes, we have to wear our hats except when in station or in squad. I had an arrest today and didn't have my hat on (the guy looked like he was about to run, I wasn't going to waste my time grabbing my hat). I hope it doesn't get thrown out!

boomhower
08-14-2011, 13:15
We have mandatory dates for long/short sleeves. It usually works out fairly well but we do get burned up in the fall sometimes. We only have very select times we are required to wear our hats, maybe once a month I'll wear at most.

ateamer
08-14-2011, 13:41
I'm glad to work for an agency where the boss sees as adults. We can wear short or long sleeves, turtleneck or crew neck undershirt, Class A (wool) or Class C (Blauer), Smokey Bear or ballcap, jacket or no jacket as we see fit. The public doesn't mind in the least, we take care of business and I don't think any of us can understand why a department would mandate a particular uniform just because of the calendar. Or why they'd wear those silly looking white shirts for patrol.

Agent6-3/8
08-14-2011, 20:12
...I don't think any of us can understand why a department would mandate a particular uniform just because of the calendar. Or why they'd wear those silly looking white shirts for patrol.

Good question...a lot of departments are stuck in 1940 when it comes to their uniforms. Beyond that, a lot of admin types are stuck in the "because we've always done it that way" mentality. I worked for a department that took uniformity to the extreme. (as well as the above mentioned way of thinking) Always annoyed the hell out of me.

dano1427
08-14-2011, 20:24
My place has had a few Chiefs try to take some uniform traditions away, mainly the hats (seven pointed) and Class-A Ike jackets. The jackets stayed for ceremonial stuff, after rank-and-file outcry. The hat policy was modified to an Officer discretion stance, except for the obvious details (I.E. special events, funerals, etc).

Pepper45
08-15-2011, 07:22
We just got outer carrier vests, and uniform polo shirts for patrol. The chief decides the first day we may wear the polo, and when we must go back to regular uniform. Otherwise, it's up to us as to whether to wear long or short sleeved uniform shirts.

Trigger Finger
08-15-2011, 14:12

Good one, CAcop, I thought LAPD was one of the last agencies to give up mandatory long shirts, ties and hats. We dropped ours when Gates came in office in 78/79. Also Captains and above wore a separate uniform, this was also done away with. Everyone the same!!

With all the crap the average officer has to deal with, he at least needs to be comfortable!