Thought you might be interested [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thought you might be interested

dhv
08-13-2011, 00:40
Guys in 7 weeks I am walking the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea.

You've probably never heard of it, but it's where the Aussies stopped the Jap advance in WWII, and has become a bit of a right of passage for Aussies along side ANZAC Cove in Turkey.

I'll post some links about the track below for those interested, but it's a pretty demanding 10 days in the tropical jungle, and I thought you might be interested in the recommended personal first aid supplies (if you ever see yourself doing some hard miles in a tropical environment).

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww2/bfa/kokoda.html
http://ww2australia.gov.au/asfaras/kokoda.html
http://www.kokoda.net.au/kokoda-flythrough.html

Plan to look after your feet. Ensure you have a comfortable pair of walking boots and good thick socks. Each night you will have the opportunity to thoroughly wash and dry your feet. It is then a good idea to give them a liberal covering of anti-fungal foot powder to dry them out during the night. Next morning it is advisable to massage some canistene antiseptic liquid into them.
Blisters should not be a problem if you have a good pair of walking boots and have broken them in properly - and trim your toenails before you begin your trek. Nevertheless it is a wise precaution to have blister kit with you. The 'Spenko Blister Kit' (containing a soothing 'second skin') or 'Dr Scholl Blister Kit' are recommended.
Personal First-Aid Checklist:

Anti-malarial tablets (as prescribed by your doctor)
Anti-inflammatory tablets (as prescribed by your doctor)
Antibiotics for treating diarrhoea (as prescribed by your doctor)
Antibiotic eye and ear drops
Antibiotic cream or powder
Aquim Antibacterial Gel
Canistene Antiseptic Liquid
Tropical strength mosquito repellent
Two (2) Dr Scholl or Spenko blister packs
Two (2) Rolls of broad elasticated bandage
Two rolls of Leukoplast waterproof elastoplast (5 cm X 5 m)
Band-Aids (waterproof)
Anti-histamine (Benadryl) - useful as a decongestant for colds or allergies and to ease the itch from any insect bites or stings
Panadol Forte/Aspirin tablets/capsules
Codral cold and flu tablets
Sunscreen
Scissors, tweezers, and safety pins
Micropur water sterilization tablets
Staminade/Gatorade/IsoSport electrolyte drink powder (Two (2) jars).
Gastrolyte (for re-hydration if necessary)
Dettol Antiseptic - plastic bottle
One ankle and knee guard
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

rj1939
08-13-2011, 05:22
Sounds like an adventure........enjoy.

My cousin walked the length of the Appalachian Mountains some years back. He has done several of these type things since retiring from the military.

TangoFoxtrot
08-13-2011, 05:47
Good luck, be safe, enjoy, and God speed!

lawman800
08-14-2011, 12:31
Good luck, be safe, enjoy, and God speed!

Ditto!

UneasyRider
08-14-2011, 17:25
Sounds like a great time. Do you ever use "new-skin" to seal a cut? Good stuff.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/13279/300.jpg

Bilbo Bagins
08-15-2011, 07:56
That sounds awesome. I have done some long distance hikes in America, but never thru a Jungle. Everytime I think of New Guinea, I think of headhunters. :shocked:

What type of shelter are you using, a jungle hammock, a tent, a bivvy sack?

dhv
08-16-2011, 05:18
Single insect proof hike tent.

Too hot for bivy bag. Hammocks dont have much of a place in Oz.

dhv
09-29-2011, 23:46
Well fellas the big day has arrived and I'm off tomorrow to catch the plane to PNG. I've been trying to climb one of the local hills 3 or 4 times a week to prepare, but I doubt anything would really prepare you for this.
See you all in a few weeks and will post some pics of the scenery.
Cheers

quake
09-30-2011, 05:41
Good luck & enjoy.

cpgor
09-30-2011, 08:43
Take lots of Pics

UneasyRider
09-30-2011, 09:14
Well fellas the big day has arrived and I'm off tomorrow to catch the plane to PNG. I've been trying to climb one of the local hills 3 or 4 times a week to prepare, but I doubt anything would really prepare you for this.
See you all in a few weeks and will post some pics of the scenery.
Cheers

Now that's living! My wife and I love to travel on the edge too, you have a great time it's worth it!

Bilbo Bagins
09-30-2011, 18:08
Good luck and safe trip.

dhv
10-07-2011, 19:45
Yes, I am home early having failed to comlete the track.

A brief update. The track is F&cking brutal, and Port Morseby is a disorganised war zone.

Long story short, I decided to turn around and walk back to the air strip at Kokoda after my body started to play silly buggers due to the heat and humidity, rather than push on further into the rough stuff and end up needing a $15,000 helecopeter evacuation.

It wasn't just a case of HTFU, I simply could not cope with the heat and had a resting pulse rate of 140 for over half an hour as my body tried to cool itself down. Discomfort I could handle, but given the circumstances it didn't seem smart to continue and f&ck it up for the rest of the group I was with.

I hooked up with a bunch of Defence types from Cairns who were walking in the opposite direction, and after camping overnight with them walked back to Kokoda under my own steam. The difference going out was that these guys were a bit smarter (training?) and got up at 3am to get some miles out of the way before the heat hit. In other words, I did exactly the same walk as the day before without raising a sweat, where as the previous day I was in a serious spot of bother in the mid day sun.

One of the Army guys told me they had been training as a group with 25kg packs 3 afternoons a week for 12 months to prepare where as we only decided to go 3 months prior. We undercooked it I'm afraid.

A positive side to returning early, I got to spend a few days (waiting for a plane out) talking to a 95 year old original Kokoda veteran from Sydney who had gone back to say G'day to his mates, so while the guys I started with were still on the track hearing stories about the deeds of the Kokoda campaign, I was getting a first hand version of it from someeone who was there. And yes, I did get to go to Bomana and glue that bit of rock to my relos grave.

I'm in two minds as to whether I will try again. On the one hand it is unfinished business. On the other, it's a serious undertaking.