Tablet PC (Android) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tablet PC (Android)

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 09:18
School me on Android operating system Tablet PCs.

With the death of my Garmin Nuvi 755T I am tempted to purchase a tablet to replace it.

I know my android smart phones can work as a GPS, but the maps as small and hard to read when driving in city traffic in an area that I am not familiar.

I am wondering if a tablet would be better than the smart phone and more functional than just a GPS.

Palmguy
08-13-2011, 09:43
Did you find the screen on your Nuvi too small? My phone has the same size screen (4.3") and three times the resolution (800x480 vs 272x480).

The problem with a tablet is also going to be it's most important asset: the size of the screen. 10" screens are the majority, and that's a little big to have windshield mounted in my opinion. That means you're going to be looking down at the seat next to you or something.

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 10:04
The Nuvi's screen was fine.

The idea of going with the tablet was to get more functions than a new Garmin.
The idea of not using the phone is because the original droid and an LG are both small screens.

I was running the nuvi on top of the dash with one of those weighted swivel stands. It stayed in place except when I drove like an idiot.

If I were to do a tablet, I am thinking about hanging it so it covers the speedometer and other gauges.

Linux3
08-13-2011, 16:48
Unless you get a tablet that has a cell connection you can't use it as a GPS.
I personally think a GPS is a GPS and a tablet is, well you know.

Tablets don't have the storage to hold the maps so you need a cell with a data plan and bluetooth or a tablet with 3G or 4G.

The way the GPS works in any tablet I have seen, 4 different types, the built in GPS knows where you are with wifi but you need to keep loading maps as you travel in order to 'map' the route.

It's not like a GPS that has the maps in storage. GPS maps are huge.

kc8ykd
08-13-2011, 17:15
It's not like a GPS that has the maps in storage. GPS maps are huge.

what kind of gps are you talking about here?

my garmin gpsmap 60csx has all it's maps internally. on a 2gb microsdhc card i carry all the road maps for the us (routable), topo for the tri-state area around me, and blue charts for michigan, with space left over.

last i checked, the db for nuvi's is still less than 2gb.

fun fact, garmin had an application for winmo phones w/gps' that basically emulated a nuvi. the sd card stored all the maps (i've got it on my old phone currently).

i wouldn't see any issues with throwing an entire map set on an sd card for a tablet and still having plenty of room left over for all the other stuff people want. i guess today "huge" is a relative term.

DreamWeaver88
08-13-2011, 18:11
I recently got a Garmin Nuvi 3790 LMT. It's pretty sweet. Thinner than a phone, high res glass capacitive screen, and it gets lifetime map updates and traffic.

If you don't want to use your phone....a dedicated GPS is the way to go. Those 7" tablets are a bit too big. You definitely don't want to cover up your instrument panel with one.

DW

RWBlue
08-13-2011, 20:54
Garmin topos for the entire USA is less than 2GB.

I have no idea how much space street view will take.

Adjuster
08-14-2011, 19:55
I just purchased a TomTom xxl with 5" screen. The larger screen is very nice.

grokdesigns
08-15-2011, 10:24
There are plenty of GPS apps for Android that don't require data, but if you're looking to primarily use it as a navigation system, I'd go with a dedicated GPS device.

RexKramer
08-15-2011, 14:23
Tablets don't have the storage to hold the maps so you need a cell with a data plan and bluetooth or a tablet with 3G or 4G.

Huh? I carry aviation charts for the entire world on my iPad. Enroute high and low, terminal charts, data pages. Doesn't even make a dent in my memory.

Linux3
08-15-2011, 16:01
Huh? I carry aviation charts for the entire world on my iPad. Enroute high and low, terminal charts, data pages. Doesn't even make a dent in my memory.
Do you mean storage, not memory?

Anyway, I have a few friends with Tablets, Acer, Samsung and Acer and all of them need to be connect to a network if you want to use the GPS as a route planner.
There is even an app that will download small blocks of space so that you can follow a route but if you leave the planned route it's useless because it only has blocks of small parts of maps.

Argue the size all you want. I have seen how the built in GPS works.

kc8ykd
08-15-2011, 16:38
to clarify, it sounds like you've seen how some software packages work.

you know a gps just tells the software where it is right? and it's up to the software to do stuff with that information.

this looks fun
http://www.mapdroyd.com/

and google announced this two months ago:
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/06/15/google-intros-android-offline-gps-navigation-mobile-search-improvements/

stolivar
08-15-2011, 18:44
My phone is more accurate then my new tom tom. even with the new maps downloaded. My Tom Tom was wrong 5 out of 6 times. My thunder bolt was right on the money every time. I can find more places quicker on the phone. just hit the mic and say what I want. Cant do that on the tom tom

steve

Pierre!
08-15-2011, 21:00
I am thinking that the screen resolution of my Samsung Interceptro VS and iPad or some other pad would be different enough to throw off the storage capacity requirements...

If you desire to populate a screen 3X the resolution of a smartphone (just guessing at the size) I can imagine the level of data to Zoom the screen for each device would be significantly different...

Just a thought... just a thought...

kc8ykd
08-15-2011, 21:13
why would it be different? you're just able to display more of the existing data at once.

Pierre!
08-15-2011, 21:26
why would it be different? you're just able to display more of the existing data at once.

Right - and how deep did you want to go? Did you want satellite view? Bird's Eye view?

Storage for each device is limited... and to populate the pixels of the screen, you need higher resolution to display the same image with some level of sharpness to a bigger screen...

That's the way it used to work...

Has that changed recently?

Okay iPad guys - How much space do your maps take on your storage?
Same with the Smartphone guys...

The answer is in there somewhere... :supergrin:

kc8ykd
08-15-2011, 23:17
Right - and how deep did you want to go? Did you want satellite view? Bird's Eye view?

Storage for each device is limited... and to populate the pixels of the screen, you need higher resolution to display the same image with some level of sharpness to a bigger screen...

That's the way it used to work...

Has that changed recently?

you do realize that except for the birds eye view and street view and photo overlays, the gps maps and their data aren't images, right?

so, if we're trying to replicate a garmin road or off road (except for the latest version) navigation device, we really don't have to worry about street views, or overhead photos.

Pierre!
08-15-2011, 23:27
you do realize that except for the birds eye view and street view and photo overlays, the gps maps and their data aren't images, right?

so, if we're trying to replicate a garmin road or off road (except for the latest version) navigation device, we really don't have to worry about street views, or overhead photos.

Did it really sound like I own a GPS device? :wow:

Well, if that is the case, and you just get the street detail then it should be no big deal...

so what's all the Hub Bub about???

Oh - I get it... Goofs like me who missed the point...

I will just back away slowly... :rofl:

A little 'public humiliation' never killed anyone...

L8ter... :embarassed:

kc8ykd
08-15-2011, 23:38
Did it really sound like I own a GPS device? :wow:

Well, if that is the case, and you just get the street detail then it should be no big deal...

so what's all the Hub Bub about???

Oh - I get it... Goofs like me who missed the point...

I will just back away slowly... :rofl:

A little 'public humiliation' never killed anyone...

L8ter... :embarassed:

i have no idea if you own one or not.

i didn't mean to come across as terse. it's not meant as humiliation, it's simply the avoidance of mis-information and mis-conceptions.

Pierre!
08-15-2011, 23:47
i have no idea if you own one or not.

i didn't mean to come across as terse. it's not meant as humiliation, it's simply the avoidance of mis-information and mis-conceptions.

Yes, I know and I understood... Just making light of it.

I had a >DoH< moment.

I'm not worried or offended by your comments in the least.

No Worries Kc8Ykd, No Worries...

kc8ykd
08-15-2011, 23:57
Yes, I know and I understood... Just making light of it.

I had a >DoH< moment.

I'm not worried or offended by your comments in the least.

No Worries Kc8Ykd, No Worries...

:cheers:

Pierre!
08-16-2011, 10:45
:cheers:

Roger THAT my Friend! :cool:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

RWBlue
08-21-2011, 21:35
So I finally got the tablet.
I downloaded mapdroyd, Oruxmaps, .... and multiple maps.

GPS is fine.
Map is ok.
Directions SUCK, no lane information, no address search, no street names, no, no, no......

I need a Garmin GPS.

pal2511
08-23-2011, 10:15
Which tablet did you get?

I love my original droid for gps directions. Granted it doesnt have lane change indicators but that doesnt always work correctly and I can usually get it down pretty well if it just tells me left or right turn

RWBlue
08-23-2011, 13:20
Which tablet did you get?

I love my original droid for gps directions. Granted it doesnt have lane change indicators but that doesnt always work correctly and I can usually get it down pretty well if it just tells me left or right turn

I went with the Toshiba Thrive 32GB. The main reason was the SD card slot. It will allow me to see the pictures I shoot with my real camera (Nikon D7000) on the thrive screen while in the field.

I also have a original droid. If you like the original droid's directions, then a tablet with connectivity would be a nice upgrade for the screen size.

BTW, I am still looking for the best picture editor/viewer and I don't think this is the end. I think that there will be GOOD offline GPS on android sooner or later.

DreamWeaver88
08-24-2011, 15:43
I think that there will be GOOD offline GPS on android sooner or later.

If not, and you're still in the market for a Garmin GPS.....I just came across this link. Lots of new models coming from Garmin.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/garmin-nuvi-navigators-get-refreshed-countless-new-models-for-2/

RWBlue
08-24-2011, 16:07
If not, and you're still in the market for a Garmin GPS.....I just came across this link. Lots of new models coming from Garmin.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/garmin-nuvi-navigators-get-refreshed-countless-new-models-for-2/

I decided I needed a replacement for my Gamin that was dieing.

So I either did something REALLY smart, or something REALLY stupid. I bought another of the same thing I already have (755T). The way I looked at it, I already have all the wires and a dash mount and ...... If something else breaks, but the GPS is good.....(replacement parts).