Baer's First Range Trip / Mag Question! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Baer's First Range Trip / Mag Question!

skdmrklcy
08-13-2011, 17:14
So... the mags I was trying were complete junk. I knew the Baer factory mags are not great to begin with and the cheap ones I took a risk on are also not so good.

I was having an issue where the last round would not feed about 99% of the time with all but one mag which ran 100%. I borrowed some Wilsons and they also ran 100% fine. I was worried it was the gun till I switched the mags up and then she ran like a champ.

The Slim grips are a keeper as well! I shoot this baby a lot better than my M&P which I had taken as a backup, it ran fine as expected and is quite a nice shooter. Just not as nice as a 1911!

So on to my question. I have about 6 mags which are hybrid tubed 8 rounders. They look like Trip 8 rounders... with different guts. So is it worth it to try the Trip rebuild kits? Or just buy Wilsons bank account be dammed.

polizei1
08-13-2011, 17:49
Did you try all of the hybrids? If you can try those first (if they work), but since you already know Wilson's work, I would just get those.

skdmrklcy
08-13-2011, 17:58
The Hybrid tubes I have are Metalforms, the Wilson ETM which is a type of Hybrid tube is what I used that worked, as did the 47Ds.

The springs in the ones I have just feel really light compared to the Wilson mags so I am thinking the rebuild kits should work just fine. I am thinking I am going to order 3 ETMs and 6 rebuild kits.

FN in MT
08-13-2011, 19:13
Your mags are the heart of the FEED system...why go second class?

If Wilsons work you already have a solution.

My Ed Brown, SA and Wilson have run 100% on Wilson 47D's, Chip Mc Cormick 8 rd power mags and the lone Tripp 8 rounder I have. The two get used regularly for carry, IIDPA, etc. So hardly safe queens. Good mags HOLD UP.

Brownells had a sale flyer out this week...three pack sales on the Mc Cormick Power mags. I think they were $68 for three with the LE discount..$79 regularly. Buy over $150 and the $11.95 shipping charge is waived.

Rebuilding your current mags is a crap shoot...maybe rebuild one or two?

FN in MT

skdmrklcy
08-14-2011, 05:58
Yeah I got these cheap ones as a test, that failed. I ordered some Wilsons last night, will order some of the rebuild kits at some point.

brisk21
08-14-2011, 08:19
I rebuilt my metalform mags (that came with my Springfield TRP) with Tripp rebuilt kits. They work perfect!! I also just rebuilt some Chip McCormick 10 rounders with the Tripp kits and they work perfect as well. Of course, so does my Wilson Combat mags!

CDW4ME
08-14-2011, 11:40
Even though you ordered Wilson:
I've had great success with Tripp 7 round magazines, as well as the Tripp 7 round magazine kits when I used them in McCorm & Colt magazines.

skdmrklcy
08-14-2011, 12:19
I only ordered a few Wilson. Since I already know for sure that they work 100%, going to play with the others and see what I can get going.

I did e-mail tripp to see what they say. Once I hear back I am going to order the set of rebuild kits, also going to get some of the Flush 7 rounders.

polizei1
08-14-2011, 18:22
Will they be here by saturday for the Miamisburg match? :)

1911Nut17
08-14-2011, 18:39
Get you some Tripp Research mags. You will never have a mag issue again.

ajstrider
08-14-2011, 18:51
I concur that the magazines are the heart of your feed system and not to go second class. Wilson 47D and Chip Power Mags last a long long time and are a great investment. When you average the cost over the years of service, they aren't much, and you never have to worry about, is my gun going to load after this next shot?