USAF to POST Cert [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USAF to POST Cert

LilCop2002
08-13-2011, 22:07
All,

Most of you know my USAF Security Forces background, my previous security company, my recent dipping into civilian LE work, and all that jazz. Now that I'm working on the LE Reserves in Alabama to get my feet rewet and in order to make myself marketable (military/civilian alike) next Spring, I've been doing research on the POST certifications.

Thus far, my research has shown me that three states allow an Equivalency of Training (EOT) which would allow me to take the state tests thru the use of a 2-3 week class along with my USAF Security Forces training and experience. So far, Texas, Florida, and Alabama have courses that I may take, but I am unable to find the specific programs and/or the requirements in order to even qualify for the programs.

Any of you have any advice or specific links I might have luck with?

trdvet
08-13-2011, 23:44
Your best bet is to contact TCLEOSE (Texas) during regular business hours and ask about the program.

LilCop2002
08-14-2011, 10:17
I have no problems contacting the various states mentioned, but I didn't want to waste their time if a friend from this forum, who might have done or experienced this issue, could point me in the right direction.

A good NCO doesn't have to always have all the answers as long as (s)he knows where to look for the information.

BamaTrooper
08-14-2011, 20:48
What agency are you reservng in? Montgomery?

pal2511
08-14-2011, 21:46
Did you get hired lilcop?

trifecta
08-15-2011, 17:21
I have no problems contacting the various states mentioned, but I didn't want to waste their time if a friend from this forum, who might have done or experienced this issue, could point me in the right direction.

A good NCO doesn't have to always have all the answers as long as (s)he knows where to look for the information.

The TCLEOSE website has the form and requirements you are looking for. Looks like they just put them on there on 8/10. It's the second thing in the "New on TCLEOSE Web" section.

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/

Malstorme
08-15-2011, 18:58
As a former AF cop, I'd suggest (as painful as I'm sure you'll find this) to NOT try to skip or waiver a basic police academy simply based on your SP training. There is SO much more that you will learn that isn't covered (or just barely was) in the AF program. There are SO many ways to screw up in this job even WITH an unabridged training program that you don't need to handicap yourself. You may not see it now, but I promise you're cheating yourself if you find a way to skip ahead without having previously completed a full state-certification training program.

Mals

pal2511
08-16-2011, 03:09
I agree with Malstorme. Hell if they are going to pay you why not go through the academy and show everyone up?

When I transferred from Mo to KS there was a lot of stuff that wasnt taught in my 1 week academy. Somedays I wish I went to the full academy.

LilCop2002
08-16-2011, 07:31
As a former AF cop, I'd suggest (as painful as I'm sure you'll find this) to NOT try to skip or waiver a basic police academy simply based on your SP training. There is SO much more that you will learn that isn't covered (or just barely was) in the AF program. There are SO many ways to screw up in this job even WITH an unabridged training program that you don't need to handicap yourself. You may not see it now, but I promise you're cheating yourself if you find a way to skip ahead without having previously completed a full state-certification training program.

Mals

As a former AF Cop, you can relate to what I am about to say:

I am 28 years old with over 10.5 years of service and about to put on Master Sergeant (E-7). While I understand and AGREE with what you're saying, I cannot justify quitting my career, one in which I could definitely see Chief Master Sergeant (E-9) and even retire at the ripe old age of 37, to pursue the full time academy and civilian career.

The few reasons I am even considering this waiver is so that I can have it as another tool under my belt. It would definitely benefit me as a reserve officer, which is a VOLUNTEER and UNPAID opportunity and one that I plan on pursuing here and in my future duty assignments/locations. It would also allow me to apply for other USAF Security Forces job in the future and with it and reserve work combined, I would be a better SF member, it would benefit the SF unit I am working with, and it would assist when I get out in having a heads up should I pursue it full time.

I agree with Malstorme. Hell if they are going to pay you why not go through the academy and show everyone up?

When I transferred from Mo to KS there was a lot of stuff that wasnt taught in my 1 week academy. Somedays I wish I went to the full academy.

Noone would be paying for this academy except for me. It would be coming out of my pocket. The cost of the school, travel, lodging, food, and etc. would be all paid by me.

If I am lucky, I would get USAF Tuition Assistance to pay for the course, but I would still pay for the rest of it.