Dove Hunting Opening Day is Coming Up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting Opening Day is Coming Up

Robalero
08-14-2011, 06:07
South Texas here, Whitewing are flying, my shotguns are clean and ready, and I am good to go! Anyone else?

BuckeyePPC
08-14-2011, 18:57
Last year I used my 20ga Remington 870 and believe it or not a Norinco double barrel coach gun. This year I bought a NEF semi auto at Wally World. It's an SA1-128 in black poly. I really like this shotgun and have spent the last 2 weekends patterning it.

Our 2 week open dove season starts 9/1 and a bunch of us will be out blasting them. We've been looking forward to the swarms of doves since last year. Wasn't a week gone by we didn't talk about it.

plainshunter
08-14-2011, 19:04
Oh yeah! Look forward to opening day of Dove every year. Kind of the inauguration of the hunting season. In Kansas, it starts on Labor Day weekend.

Robalero
08-15-2011, 04:19
We've been in a drought here, but they are still flying.

Dennis in MA
08-22-2011, 10:51
Pffft. I think opening day here is November. . . oh, probably October for archery. Late late late compared to you suthuhnuz.

plainshunter
08-22-2011, 10:53
Pffft. I think opening day here is November. . . oh, probably October for archery. Late late late compared to you suthuhnuz.
archery for dove?

Robalero
08-23-2011, 04:21
archery for dove?
LOL, now that's one heck of a shot!

Opening day is creeping up, can't wait!

method
08-23-2011, 09:48
Dove and squirrel is coming up on the 1st for us also, will be my first time dove hunting. Just bought an old 20 gauge Ithaca 37 for it, and found some nice public dove fields 40 minutes away.

Robalero
08-26-2011, 05:24
One week from tomorrow!!!

method
08-30-2011, 00:27
Al....most there. What's typically the best time for doves, morning, evening, early afternoon?

Robalero
08-30-2011, 04:19
Actually dove are extremely active in the early morning; however, you can not legally shoot until after noon til sunset (in Texas). Opening day is the only day I'm out there right at twelve, after that, late afternoon is best.

plainshunter
08-30-2011, 06:15
Al....most there. What's typically the best time for doves, morning, evening, early afternoon?
here in KS, dove are active early morning and late evening. But we generally only go in the evening, not sure why.

BuckeyePPC
08-30-2011, 06:51
On the weekends we get to our area around 7 am. Quit about 10 am and start cleaning. Leave the area around 11 am for lunch. However, since I get off work early afternoon I have time to go home, grab my shotgun, and get a couple of hours in before sundown.

Dennis in MA
08-30-2011, 09:32
archery for dove?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

A WEEK later, I re-read the thread title. I SWEAR it said DEER. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

BuckeyePPC
09-01-2011, 13:59
Got all my gear ready last night and in 3 hours I'll be out blasting, hopefully, some delicious dove !!! 2 hours later a couple of guys from work will be joining me. I've been waiting all year for today. I'm so excited I can't sit still !

Robalero
09-01-2011, 20:01
Got all my gear ready last night and in 3 hours I'll be out blasting, hopefully, some delicious dove !!! 2 hours later a couple of guys from work will be joining me. I've been waiting all year for today. I'm so excited I can't sit still !

Good Luck Buckeye!

plainshunter
09-01-2011, 20:02
good luck man! wish i was going also. probably only be able to make it out 1 day this weekend.

Robalero
09-01-2011, 20:14
I'll be out there Saturday right at noon. There are plenty of whitewing dove right now, and it'll be extremely hot, but we're gonna have a blast!

RRTX11
09-01-2011, 20:58
Got my limit this morning by 7:50, got my limit this evening but it took my right til dark. Will be back out tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. Have thick peppered bacon, jalapenoes, and if I get my limits tomorrow will have 96 dove fillets wrapped in bacon with a cream cheese center ready to go for the weekend. Man, September, dove season, longhorns, aggies, hornfrogs.....and the cowgirls! don't get much better than this!

Robalero
09-02-2011, 04:18
Got my limit this morning by 7:50, got my limit this evening but it took my right til dark. Will be back out tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. Have thick peppered bacon, jalapenoes, and if I get my limits tomorrow will have 96 dove fillets wrapped in bacon with a cream cheese center ready to go for the weekend. Man, September, dove season, longhorns, aggies, hornfrogs.....and the cowgirls! don't get much better than this!

Okay, so don't stop, oven or bbq? Any seasoning?

BuckeyePPC
09-02-2011, 06:51
Good Luck Buckeye!

We're still in monsoon season here and I had to wait until the heavy rain and lightening passed. Only got out for an hour and it took the birds a bit to come out after the rain. Still the 3 of us managed to shoot at a lot of birds, hit a bunch but lost some in the high weeds and the river behind us. I think we cleaned 11 birds at the end. I know 11 doesn't sound like much but considering the weather and how many we lost, it wasn't bad. I'm going out after work this afternoon to another spot closer to home if the monsoon doesn't stop me. Saturday morning we'll be out early where we were yesterday.

First day of the season and the doves are as acrobatic as they are later in the season. The birds that came at us from the river side would see us and hard turn back across the river. They came so close you could almost touch them and then back across so fast you couldn't get a good shot without them falling in the river. They are so totally awesome.

I was so full of adrenaline that by the time we finished cleaning them, packing up, walking back to the car, I was tired. I could feel the adrenaline draining away. And the whole years worth of stress was gone.

I'm going to try RRTX's recipe for jalapeno dove except I want to try a piece of sweet red onion embedded in the cream cheese.

Good luck to the rest of you.

RRTX11
09-02-2011, 08:00
Okay, so don't stop, oven or bbq? Any seasoning?

Little longer to get limit this morning.........they were ready for us. September and October, always on the grill, no spices.
Cut a jalepeno in half, scoop out all the seeds for mild, leave in a few for medium, leave in a lot of spicy.
Fill in the crater of the jalepeno with cream cheeze or muenster cheese, or any cheeze for that matter.
Fillet off the bone a breast and stretch it out on the cream cheese.
Wrap a thick piece of peppercorn bacon around it and put a tooth pick all the way thru it. (this part of the process is pivitol for exact bacon dispersal along the jalepeno, you do not want to see any of the jalepeno, nor allow any of the cheese to squirt out, So make sure your bacon is wrapping it like a mummy and your ends are in position to stick with the toothpick. If two picks are necessary, two picks are necessary.)
I color code mine according to spicyness, blue mild, yellow med red HOT.

On the yankee grill, I cook them as slow as I can. You have to be careful so the bacon doesn't drip and catch on fire, you see it flame up, remove it immediately put it to the side and let the bacon cook the dove fillet, then put it back on the heat. Do this till the bacon is all cooked nice and evenly but not burnt and your fillet will be done as well.

No need for spices, grab a shiner bock and it is ready to go. Between the beer, bacon, dove, jalapeno, cheeze.....all the food groups are covered for a well balanced meal.:supergrin:

BuckeyePPC
09-02-2011, 11:58
RRTX11,

Have you ever tried this on a G. Foreman type of grill ? I know it won't be anywhere as good but I live in an apartment and no room for a proper BBQ grill. I have a desktop propane grill but heat distribution is really bad.

RRTX11
09-02-2011, 13:08
RRTX11,

Have you ever tried this on a G. Foreman type of grill ? I know it won't be anywhere as good but I live in an apartment and no room for a proper BBQ grill. I have a desktop propane grill but heat distribution is really bad.

yes, george foreman types grills are great for this, control the heat, cook it slow....just cook the bacon and the bacon will cook the rest. You can also bake in, cook it in a skillet.....sometimes for Bfast i will cook a couple of dove wraps in a skillet and when they are just about done scramble some eggs into the skillet with it, and a can of ranch style beans.... so many ways....crock pot with a can of chicken broth and some cut up mushrooms.

Robalero
09-03-2011, 05:14
We're still in monsoon season here and I had to wait until the heavy rain and lightening passed. Only got out for an hour and it took the birds a bit to come out after the rain. Still the 3 of us managed to shoot at a lot of birds, hit a bunch but lost some in the high weeds and the river behind us. I think we cleaned 11 birds at the end. I know 11 doesn't sound like much but considering the weather and how many we lost, it wasn't bad. I'm going out after work this afternoon to another spot closer to home if the monsoon doesn't stop me. Saturday morning we'll be out early where we were yesterday.

First day of the season and the doves are as acrobatic as they are later in the season. The birds that came at us from the river side would see us and hard turn back across the river. They came so close you could almost touch them and then back across so fast you couldn't get a good shot without them falling in the river. They are so totally awesome.

I was so full of adrenaline that by the time we finished cleaning them, packing up, walking back to the car, I was tired. I could feel the adrenaline draining away. And the whole years worth of stress was gone.

I'm going to try RRTX's recipe for jalapeno dove except I want to try a piece of sweet red onion embedded in the cream cheese.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Congrats buddy! I'll be headed out in a few hours and I'm really stoked. It rained yesterday, which means that with the 100 degree temps I'll have to deal with extreme humidity, but it's all worth it. Good Luck to everyone else.

Robalero
09-03-2011, 05:16
Little longer to get limit this morning.........they were ready for us. September and October, always on the grill, no spices.
Cut a jalepeno in half, scoop out all the seeds for mild, leave in a few for medium, leave in a lot of spicy.
Fill in the crater of the jalepeno with cream cheeze or muenster cheese, or any cheeze for that matter.
Fillet off the bone a breast and stretch it out on the cream cheese.
Wrap a thick piece of peppercorn bacon around it and put a tooth pick all the way thru it. (this part of the process is pivitol for exact bacon dispersal along the jalepeno, you do not want to see any of the jalepeno, nor allow any of the cheese to squirt out, So make sure your bacon is wrapping it like a mummy and your ends are in position to stick with the toothpick. If two picks are necessary, two picks are necessary.)
I color code mine according to spicyness, blue mild, yellow med red HOT.

On the yankee grill, I cook them as slow as I can. You have to be careful so the bacon doesn't drip and catch on fire, you see it flame up, remove it immediately put it to the side and let the bacon cook the dove fillet, then put it back on the heat. Do this till the bacon is all cooked nice and evenly but not burnt and your fillet will be done as well.

No need for spices, grab a shiner bock and it is ready to go. Between the beer, bacon, dove, jalapeno, cheeze.....all the food groups are covered for a well balanced meal.:supergrin:

Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying this for my traditional Labor Day Dove BBQ.

Robalero
09-05-2011, 05:46
Okay, so I didn't limit out on Saturday, but came close. It was too dang hot to go out at noon, so we waited till about three to head out, were set up by four. Between son and I we bagged 26 birds, not bad considering it's been so dry. Ponds at the ranch were completely dry, but the river is close so they were fllying towards it.

Sunday I didn't go as we went out to the lower laguna madre fishing. What a phenomenal weekened.

plainshunter
09-05-2011, 10:08
My hunt was a bust. Saw 2 and they were too far out. not sure what was going on. We were setting on a sunflower field. heard a handful of shots around us. nothing like I'm used to seeing.

on the plus side, i did find a spot to deer hunt for muzzleloading season coming up.

BuckeyePPC
09-06-2011, 07:19
Had the strangest thing happen this past weekend hunting dove. A dove was flying right at one of my friends who shot it. Dove dropped about a foot and then started hovering head up and tail down like it wanted to climb. Didn't move back or forth but hovered for a while while we were staring at it. He shot it again and it dropped tail first straight down.

He shot it again because he was afraid he wounded the dove and didn't want it to fly away wounded. Very strange.

It was raining most of the weekend and birds weren't moving that much. Stood out in the rain for the better part of an hour waiting for it to stop. Hopefully next weekend will be drier and the birds will be moving more.

Robalero
09-06-2011, 16:28
Yeh, I've seen that happen a couple of times. It's like they go into some sort of shock. Definately don't want them flying away wounded.

method
09-06-2011, 21:13
I went today for the first time. Kinda cool and a little damp here and there, and not much action. Got two shots, the second one crumpled the bird and sent it into a nose dive...right into the lumberyard. I listened for a thud, but never heard it hit the ground. Got back in the (thick) woods and couldn't find anything, the bird mighta gotten hung up in the branches. Sucked.

Heard a couple squirrels but never spotted any.

BuckeyePPC
09-08-2011, 20:12
A couple of funny things happened last Saturday during the morning hunt on public land. In between the shotgun blasts we heard a female voice out by our parked cars. She was yelling some obsenities about our mothers and fathers and then started to chant ' Save the Quails ' ! Finally 3 cars started running in circles near our cars while honking their horns. They finally left and we checked to make sure nothing happened to our cars. Honestly, save the quails ?!? Doves... quails not in season yet.

Oh, and method, I shot a dove that got hung up in a tree. Friend threw up a large fallen tree limb and knocked it down.

RRTX11
09-08-2011, 21:07
Dove season is but 8 days old.....and my shoulder is sore as hell. I shoot a Benelli M2, very soft shooting shotgun for a 12 gauge. 1 case of Winchester AA's gone and 108 birds in the bag. 200 dove wraps for dinner Saturday for my sons 1st birthday. I hope everyone is having the luck we are in Central Texas......has been like hunting in Argentina.

Onions are a great addition to a dove wrap

BuckeyePPC
09-11-2011, 19:56
I marinated some breasts in a mix of Italian dressing and Yoshida teriyaki marinade Don't ask me why I mixed the two but the thought of teriyaki dove breast sounded interesting. My friend's girlfriend batter dipped and fried some breasts and he said it was fantastic. He put the fried breast pieces on some salad.

After a day of marinating I rinsed the breasts, double dipped in egg/milk and batter. Tossed in a deep fryer at 350 deg for 6 minutes. Breading was slightly crispy and the doves were tender with a slight teriyaki flavor. I'm going to fry more tomorrow. Still have a lot for the jalepeno breasts.

Our early season ends the night of the 15th but opens again in a month or so. The monsoon season really scattered the doves so I didn't get as many as I wanted but maybe during the late season.

RRTX11
09-11-2011, 20:52
Birds were slow this weekend. Have shot a total of 15 boxes the first 11 days of season in 6 hunts. Got my limits this weekend, but it was slow. 160 acres with 5 tanks that have never gone dry. Right now only 1 tank has water in it and if we don't get some rain soon, it is going dry. Need a front to blow some more birds in here.....couple more weeks and it will be time to focus on deer.