2012 Charger, disable seatbelt chime? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Charger, disable seatbelt chime?

ottomatic
08-14-2011, 15:51
Just got a brand new '12 Charger. All kinds of electronic junk on it. Does anyone know how to disable the seatbelt warning chime (Yes, I know, the preferred way is to USE the seatbelt!) ?

Jwatts02
08-14-2011, 16:04
Slot of the new vehicles coming out will not let you disable it. You could always go to a salvage yard and get a buckle and just click it in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

smokeross
08-14-2011, 16:10
I just locate the damn thing, and unplug it on every vehicle I own.

sixgun2
08-14-2011, 16:10
Might be problematic, disabling seat belt system may also shut down several key computer systems by default, up to including failure of the car to run. purposely designed that way.:wavey:

Vigilant
08-14-2011, 16:38
Outstanding avatar, Mister Smoke. :thumbsup:

actionshooter10
08-14-2011, 16:42
There are several makes that use the seatbelt indicator to enable the airbag. I would suggest you do some research and make sure the Charger is not affected.

jdm86
08-14-2011, 17:16
Just disabled ours at work. While sitting in the car with the doors shut and key on your person, press the engine start button so its on RUN but don't start the car. Make sure the seatbelt is already buckled before starting this. Once the ignition is on RUN, unclick and re-click the seatbelt about 5-6 times. On the last one, leave it buckled. Now press the button so the ignition is off, and it should chime.

It will still display the seatbelt is unbuckled on the information display but there is no chime.

scottydl
08-15-2011, 08:20
This is a pretty discouraging conversation. It's like someone asking on CT "does anyone know how I can get this bothersome bullet-resistant vest off?" :shocked:

Fiery Red XIII
08-15-2011, 09:52
This is a pretty discouraging conversation. It's like someone asking on CT "does anyone know how I can get this bothersome bullet-resistant vest off?" :shocked:

Not necessarily. Our ambulance anti thefts don't read that it's in park, so if you're sitting in park in a parking lot, the seatbelt chime will continually go off.

Red

GackMan
08-15-2011, 10:03

Because when I'm rolling through a neighborhood going 5 MPH at 3:00 am blacked out with my windows down and my seatbelt off looking and listening for someone... I really want that DING DING DING for my safety.

Bruce M
08-15-2011, 11:19

As noted there may be a couple of decent reasons to disable the seat belt chime which is why both recent police package sedans seem to have the capability programmed into them.

PuroMexicano
08-15-2011, 11:27

I know where you're coming from, but many of us don't need a chime to remind us to wear a seatbelt, and sometimes we need or want to not put it on for a number of reasons and the damn chime is annoying.

I know, no one can predict if going lights off at 3:00AM without the seatbelt a car is going to crash you at 90mph and kill you, but as responsible adults we need to outweigh those risks.
Same with the vest. If it were a 20lb. outer vest with ballistic plates front and back, 120F outside, you don't take it off on a traffic stop or a high risk warrant, but maybe you go for your break to a secluded place and take it off a while, also knowing the risks that maybe a cartel member passes by and shoots you with an AK.

Guess everyone should make their decisions and live with the outcome of them.

mrsurfboard
08-15-2011, 11:52
Slot of the new vehicles coming out will not let you disable it. You could always go to a salvage yard and get a buckle and just click it in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

+1 I have one for the Ford CV.

rookie1
08-15-2011, 14:06
As of right now we all have Crown Vic's. Some of our guys went to ford and asked for a seatbelt extender giving them to the officers for free. This has two advantages. The first it no longer has the DING, DING, DING. The second it adds 6-8 inches to where you clip the belt in no longer requiring you to bounce around moving your holster and everything to click it in. Maybe dodge has the same, they are intended for fat people I guess.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/152930/4d7fa7464e620_152930n.jpg

scottydl
08-15-2011, 14:21
I don't buy any of the excuses for NOT wearing a seatbelt, it takes 2 seconds (or less) to get it off even in you do have to bail out and chase someone. Most of my experience of those wanting to disable seatbelt reminders is because they want to routine patrol without them, not for any of the reasons mentioned above. Mine is always on, and I've never NOT been able to quickly remove it to bail out on a runner or anything else because of it.

Unnecessary vehicle deaths kill a lot of cops every year, and it's a really stupid and preventable way to die. That's all I'm saying.

puckhead
08-15-2011, 16:03
I don't buy any of the excuses for NOT wearing a seatbelt, it takes 2 seconds (or less) to get it off even in you do have to bail out and chase someone. Most of my experience of those wanting to disable seatbelt reminders is because they want to routine patrol without them, not for any of the reasons mentioned above. Mine is always on, and I've never NOT been able to quickly remove it to bail out on a runner or anything else because of it.

Unnecessary vehicle deaths kill a lot of cops every year, and it's a really stupid and preventable way to die. That's all I'm saying.

Theres plenty of good reasons to not wear a seat belt at certain times. We have all out sound items muted. Blinker click seat belt etc. Everyone still wears their seat belt on normal patrol.

rookie1
08-15-2011, 17:29
I can say that I carry my taser on my left side, like most right handers with the battery that holds the extra cartridge making it stick out there pretty far. MANY, MANY times the seatbelt has got caught on that getting out of the car in a hurry and twisting my belt and putting things in a uncomfortable position. That being said I will not wear the seatbelt in my downtown area where the speed limit is 25 and for the most part not that safe to go faster than that. There are hundreds of college students drinking, fighting, pissing, being loud etc. Most times I'm driving around at 20 or so just looking around with no radio but deal with the dinging. If I am outside the downtown I wear it. Stats show that something around 40% of fatal LOD accidents the seatbelt was not worn, unfortunate but some NEVER wear the belt. I guess I take my chances.

rookie1
08-15-2011, 17:31

Not disagreeing but has anyone tried to get out of the car with the belt still on.

OngoingFreedom
08-15-2011, 17:47
Double post.

OngoingFreedom
08-15-2011, 17:48
Double post.

scottydl
08-15-2011, 18:45
Not disagreeing but has anyone tried to get out of the car with the belt still on.

Yeah I did that one time. It set me back about 2 seconds and I still caught the guy running. No big deal and certainly not a reason to not wear the belt. Plus it's one of those things you'll probably only do once.

Everyone still wears their seat belt on normal patrol.

Unfortunately I know that's not the case with some officers I work with, which is why it irks me. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions with the OP here.

Agent6-3/8
08-15-2011, 21:12
<---has tried to bail out with his seatbelt on... After that incident, I began taking my belt off shortly before getting to where I was going. Personally, the only time I didn't wear it was when patrolling around the hood at low speed. If the SHTF the time it would take to get it off and roll out of your car might just make a difference. I'm talking about an ambush or shots fired, not a foot pursuit.

With my previous department the vast majority didn't wear belts at all unless they were in a pursuit. That I do consider stupid.

DaBigBR
08-15-2011, 21:32
As of right now we all have Crown Vic's. Some of our guys went to ford and asked for a seatbelt extender giving them to the officers for free. This has two advantages. The first it no longer has the DING, DING, DING. The second it adds 6-8 inches to where you clip the belt in no longer requiring you to bounce around moving your holster and everything to click it in. Maybe dodge has the same, they are intended for fat people I guess.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/152930/4d7fa7464e620_152930n.jpg

The chime can be disabled pretty easily...if you know how to do it you may find yourself suddenly more popular...

GackMan
08-15-2011, 22:37

I hear you. My personal rule is 25 mph.

If i pull into a parking lot, into a residential area, pulling containment, etc. I pop my seatbelt. As soon as that changes, back on - religiously.

Bruce M
08-16-2011, 05:36
The chime can be disabled pretty easily...if you know how to do it you may find yourself suddenly more popular...

I can never remember how to do it. Fortunately there are instructions in the... wait for it... Owner's Manual. Turn key on buckle and unbuckle face east turn headlights on adjust mirror lock door from outside or something like that

Cruiser1
08-16-2011, 11:47
I am not going to enter the debate on this.
It only took 2 minutes of my time to get this from a Dodge service manager.
To turn off the seat belt chime on a Dodge Charger
1)begin with the key in any position except for on or start. buckle the driver seatbelt.
2)Turn the key to on but do not start. Wait for the seatbelt light to turn off.
3)within ten seconds, unbuckle and buckle the driver seatbelt at least three times.
4)turn the key to the lock position and wait for a single chime to indicate the program was successful.

ray9898
08-17-2011, 00:19
The seat belt extender is the way to go. It puts the buckle in front of my holster, no digging behind my June to buckle and unbuckled. It would fix the seatbelt issue also.

CodyBoy
08-17-2011, 02:03
I would think there are 2 wires connected to the seatbelt.(female end):supergrin:

Clip the 2 wires and twist them together.

All the ones I have seen just complete the circuit when buckled.

Twisting them together will complete the circuit.

DaBigBR
08-17-2011, 09:30
I would think there are 2 wires connected to the seatbelt.(female end):supergrin:

Clip the 2 wires and twist them together.

All the ones I have seen just complete the circuit when buckled.

Twisting them together will complete the circuit.

Bad plan.

In a lot of modern cars, those "wires" can affect airbag depoyment. Probably less likely in the driver's seat, but not worth the risk.

fatfred
08-18-2011, 15:06
Never remove anything or modify anything on a vehicle under warranty. Same thing for a vehicle likely to be involved in a lawsuit. Between 2 and 4 wraps of tape over the chime module holes where the sound comes out will mute the noise to a whisper that can be heard with the radio off. This can be reversed quickly if need be.